Would you rather do a camper or a cabin?

ajwolfe

DIS Veteran
So let me preface this by saying we have our own travel trailer, however neither my DH or I really want to pull it all the way from MO to FL and with the amount of gas we would use it would substantially add to our trip price.

However, we are interested in trying out the Fort for our next trip and seeing something new. I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to rent a camper from down there or just do a cabin rental? Or if we should just scrap both plans and still to a resort like we always do. I believe we will have my sister's family with us, who also have their own travel trailer but feel the same as us about pulling it down there.

We aren't the type that spends a ton of time at the resort, but we do like to be comfortable and enjoy some of the amenities.

Thoughts?

So let me preface this by saying we have our own travel trailer, however neither my DH or I really want to pull it all the way from MO to FL and with the amount of gas we would use it would substantially add to our trip price.

However, we are interested in trying out the Fort for our next trip and seeing something new. I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to rent a camper from down there or just do a cabin rental? Or if we should just scrap both plans and still to a resort like we always do. I believe we will have my sister's family with us, who also have their own travel trailer but feel the same as us about pulling it down there.

We aren't the type that spends a ton of time at the resort, but we do like to be comfortable and enjoy some of the amenities.

Thoughts?

Guess you will get little help from us -
We frequently drive 1,000 miles to different destinations - 'anything' to avoid hotels. :)
We love our own house on wheels, for the trip as well as the destination!

I don't consider MO to FL 'that' far, but, of course only you can make that decision, and what is best for your situation/family. :goodvibes

We drive just shy of 1000 miles for our trip to The Fort. Yes fuel cost when we went by car a Prius far cheaper than with our diesel coach. However when we add things up still cheaper to go by coach and stay on a site than the cabins. We love the cabins but in the coach we can have our dogs with us. So no added camp cost for them
We tried a week at AKL several years ago and all my wife wanted to do was check out and go to a cabin in the fort

We do about 1100 miles one way, and we have a TT. The cost for the Cabins versus a campsite (and extra fuel) is really a no brainer for us. Especially since we still have the costs of owning the TT (as it's not even close to being paid for). We bought it so we could use it. So, we do. For us the cost of fuel is really a wash for the cost of the airlines. I guess alternatively we could drive down without the TT but it's just not the same.

I am with @North of Mouse in that I don't see that trip as "Too Far" but to each their own. If it were me... I'd take the TT and enjoy.

Either way, I hope you have an awesome trip.

I'm with peg110, we just finished a close to 3000 mile roundtrip from Nebraska to Grand Canyon, few other places and home. Wouldn't trade the camper for anything even for the gas we use. Plus at some of the campgrounds, you get free entertainment from the neighbors trying to hook theirs up.:D I'll try to post some in the camping community board for some of the things from this trip. We are already planning a 2018 trip to Disney with our DS and family. We both have campers, one way trip...1500 miles.

1) We prefer a cabin.
2) Yes, campers/RVs are nice.
3) But, I am NOT a naturalist
4) My idea of "roughing it" is when the TV-remote batteries die.

Trust me, Rusty, we 'do not' rough it in our mh! :) The way we've camped over the years, the word 'rough' has mostly not been in it!! I have never been a back packer/tent camper/ - to me that's what roughing it means! I don't 'do' getting wet - or sleeping on the ground - even if the beds are raised!

Trust me, Rusty, we 'do not' rough it in our mh! :) The way we've camped over the years, the word 'rough' has mostly not been in it!! I have never been a back packer/tent camper/ - to me that's what roughing it means! I don't 'do' getting wet - or sleeping on the ground - even if the beds are raised!
Sounds like my DW. She is definitely a "Glamper". Me, I can go from a pup-tent (or even under the stars) up to a full on Mobile Home. I like to hike and camp. I just love being out in nature.

Sounds like my DW. She is definitely a "Glamper". Me, I can go from a pup-tent (or even under the stars) up to a full on Mobile Home. I like to hike and camp. I just love being out in nature.

Well, the last part of your post is us!! We 'do' love the outdoors, hiking & camping, but when it comes to sleeping, it 'has' to have hard sides and lock! :)

We just came from Smokies, hiking, biking, and camping. (we didn't have hook ups in the park - Elkmont - is that considered 'roughing' it just a little?? :teeth: Did use the generator some though - had to have our morning biscuits in the convection oven, everything else cooked outside on the coleman, except coffee.

Last edited:
Our rv is like a second home. And, the rv allows me to:

not worry about bed bugs or other creepy critters or germs that a hotel room might have

eat healthier while on a vacation

feel like I am at home, while still on a vacation

So, I would not rent someone else's camper. I would either bring my own or rent a cabin.

We travel about a 1,000 miles in our rv in order to get to Disney.

Just my opinion.

Our rv is like a second home. And, the rv allows me to:

not worry about bed bugs or other creepy critters or germs that a hotel room might have

eat healthier while on a vacation

feel like I am at home, while still on a vacation

So, I would not rent someone else's camper. I would either bring my own or rent a cabin.

We travel about a 1,000 miles in our rv in order to get to Disney.

Just my opinion.
Our DD and her BF rented a cabin at a local campground and apparently (they didn't realize until the SECOND night) there were a LOT of bedbugs. She woke up with bites all over her body. She did get a full refund though, but I think she would rather not have had to deal with the bites in the first place.

You are right, though, there is something to be said about knowing the quality and state of your accommodations.

We towed our pop-up down from Upstate NY twice - about 1300 or so miles one way - and it was great. The fuel costs were there, yes, but still cheaper than flying 4 or 5 people down instead. Look at this this way - our family of 5 flew down and spent Sunday-Saturday at Pop Century in 2011 with 5-day passes with hoppers and then in 2013 we drove down with our pop-up, stayed at the Fort for 11 nights and had 10-day passes with hoppers AND the water parks and more option - and both trips cost about the same amount. Except the second trip was about twice as long!

We are actually NOT staying at the Fort our next trip - DH and I are hitting up DCL for a 4-day cruise and then spending 5 days at POP in September 2017. I'm already wondering if I will be sad that we aren't at the Fort.

I love that everyone here calls it "the Fort" ... we're new to all of this, but are looking forward to all the Halloween decorations when we go this October :)

@ajwolfe: As you are open to a cabin.... I wonder if there are any "glamping" opportunities where you are going.

I guess I'm not really sure what this means in the context of the Fort at Disney??

We are not opposed to camping at all - been out 10+ weekends already this year. It's just not wanting to deal with the hassle of pulling our camper that distance.

We've rented campers at the Fort twice. We are not a camping family, as much as I've tried to move in that direction - but, we really enjoy the atmosphere of the Fort. Our first rental was a TT, a little small for my DW and DD. Last year, we rented a pretty spacious fifth wheel. Both were good experiences - and I think a little more enjoyable time at the Fort than the cabins.

We have stayed in the cabins on previous trips, but are now fortunate to bring our "2nd home" to the Fort with us. The cabins are great, but our RV wins over the cabins hands down.

Well heck.

I prefer a cabin over my camper any day, to be honest. But I don't want to PAY for a cabin. Yeah I know, you can get deals at times of the year like now (summer/hot) but honestly I don't want to go to WDW at that time of year. And the times of year I want to go, I don't want to pay.

But I am happy anywhere anyplace in my little Aliner with DW.

Bama Ed

I prefer a cabin over my camper any day, to be honest.
Alright, we need to clarify Ed's comment and put it in perspective. While my 5th wheel (and many other's RVs on here) are bigger than a Manhattan 2BR, Ed's camper is the size of a bathroom... a modest bathroom. :lmao:

But... if I was driving down, whether it was towing the camper or driving our car, I would go for the camper over a cabin or another resort at WDW. I'm with Ed, it is a money thing. Towing the camper is only $300 more than driving our car. It's 1004 miles from my door to the Fort entrance. The cabins at the Fort are considered (and priced as) a Moderate. That's a lot more money than a campsite even with the extra gas. I really don't like the 17 hour drive, but I like the cost of flying even less.

I've only stayed 1 other place at WDW. It was Saratoga Springs when we flew down with my race team owner and his family. He had a 3BR condo through DVC. The condo was great, but the rest of the resort wasn't the Fort.

So, If the choice is driving and 1) towing the camper 2) staying in a cabin 3) renting an RV, I don't think there is a bad choice. It really comes down to your comfort level with towing, driving or spending more money.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter