Would You Rather...Deluxe vs OffSite & Fireworks Cruise?

CinderellaDream

Mouseketeer
Title says it all - would you rather stay deluxe for one night pre-cruise and enjoy the pool or stay offsite and enjoy a fireworks cruise? Specifically, I'm thinking Beach club versus a Disney Springs hotel with an Illuminations cruise.

I'm trying to make a decision about the night before our cruise leaves from Canaveral. We could choose to stay and park at the port or swing by Orlando and have a fun night prior to boarding. Of course, my Disney loving self would prefer to stay Beach club AND do the fireworks cruise but that's not an option for this trip.

Tough call. We really enjoyed our fireworks cruise last trip and will do it again this year, but staying onsite is huge. I would say go with the onsite resort if you have enough time to enjoy it, but in your case with one night before a cruise, the time you'd benefit from the nicer resort might not outweigh the fireworks cruise, so the fireworks cruise could be a better use of the $$. It's not like you'd be that far outside the bubble, and you'll have plenty of immersion during the cruise.

IF you are off site DS - then i think it adds an element of transportation in which you wouldn't have to worry about with staying at BC. Personally for one night i would stay at BC and be able still watch illuminations and then be able to walk back to BC. Could you find a less expensive room at S&D and do the cruise? Then you are still within walking distance,

IF you are off site DS - then i think it adds an element of transportation in which you wouldn't have to worry about with staying at BC. Personally for one night i would stay at BC and be able still watch illuminations and then be able to walk back to BC. Could you find a less expensive room at S&D and do the cruise? Then you are still within walking distance,

I was going to suggest checking rates at Swan/Dolphin as well. If you are Marriott Bonvoy member (it's free to join), you'll get an even lower rate. Then you could either consider the cruise or, better yet, IMHO, buy one day tix to EP and watch Illuminations from inside the park. S/D also has a great pool complex and, with your stay, you'll get 30 minutes in one of the Swan paddleboats plus a nightly smore's kit.

I like the option of Swan/Dolphin if you get a good rate and still do the fireworks cruise. Otherwise, I would stay at the BC, though, rather than stay DS plus Illuminations Cruise.

So I checked rates for S/D and the best rate is ~$320. For some reason they are charging a $50 extra person fee even though we have just 2 adults and 2 children. I've never stayed there so is that normal practice?

So I checked rates for S/D and the best rate is ~$320. For some reason they are charging a $50 extra person fee even though we have just 2 adults and 2 children. I've never stayed there so is that normal practice?
No, that is not normal practice. It's probably a glitch in their system. We (2 people) recently stayed at a Westin in Boston and the extra person charge also showed up in the app. Front desk there was absolutely useless. Asked me to call the Westin reservation center instead.
S/D has the resort fee though.

Consider calling S/D directly. With Marriott recently taking over the reservation system, things have been really glitchy.

Personally for one night i would stay at BC and be able still watch illuminations and then be able to walk back to BC
OP didn't mention visiting a par, though :confused3
not
Call. 407.934.4000. I mean, there are hotels that charge for each additional person above the typical two, but not at WDW, afaik. Um, are both children actual children?

No, you shouldn't have to pay an extra person fee unless your children aren't really kids anymore. Not sure of the age. I would call to book the reservation. Be aware of the ~$30 resort fee. plus, after you book continue to monitor the website. If you see a lower rate, call and they will adjust your reservation to the lower rate. Keep an eye out for any discounts that you qualify for, in particular.

Good luck!

What happens if you plan for the cruise and it rains? I’d go deluxe.

Good point! I'm not sure if they offer refunds in those situations or not.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I did call Swan/Dolphin and the extra person fee was just an error on the website. Their IT people really need to fix that.

Right now I'm leaning toward staying at Beach Club. There is just this nagging little part of me saying, "This could be your last chance to see Illuminations before it ends." Worst case - I can catch a glimpse of the show from the Boardwalk bridge and still be thrilled to be staying at Beach Club. There are no wrong decisions in this case!

Have you stayed at the BC before? How old are your kids? I would say if it's all new to you and your kids are the right age to REALLY enjoy the pool, then stay onsite. Otherwise, I would stay offsite and do the IlluniNations cruise.

I vote beach club. We stayed a couple of nights at Universal's Cabana Bay Resort before a Disney cruise and actually it was really awesome, but we still found ourselves coming over to BC a couple times to walk around, eat at Cape May, wander over to the boardwalk, etc. It is just so lovely, even without park tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter