Would you pay these prices? Help!

We must of posted at the same time. Royals does not include the balcony, but I believe NCL does. I remember NCL balcony rooms being smaller then DCL, but it wasn't enough to make a difference.
You are correct, the room is 207 and the balcony is 32.

For the record, I agree with you on "no, I would not pay $5,000 for a 3-night cruise".

I simply think it’s a bit off to compare room sizes like that. RCCL 182 sq ft plus balcony at 50 sq ft is 230 sq ft, and DCL with balcony is 241. It’s a pretty identically sized room.

DCL does have generally more rooms for a family of five than most of the other lines, so that is something since I have 3. That said, we have sailed on other lines in two rooms since my youngest was 1, we have done tiny rooms when I had two small kids. I’ve never needed a crib in the room, though we have brought our Kidco Peapod before.

So you're willing to pay more then 3k for a few extra square feet? We're a family of four and I wouldn't do that. How roomy a stateroom is has more to do with how it's laid out then the actual square footage. The cheapest verandah on DCL that week for a family of four is 8497 and that's for a restricted view. Everything you've priced out is well under 6k that's a pretty significant price difference. The 240 square feet on DCL includes the balcony so keep that in mind. On Harmony and Symphony the room is 182 sq feet and the balcony is 50ft so technically it's only 8 square feet smaller

Same here. We live in a "shoebox house" so a small/smaller cabin doesn't make or break a cruise. Agreed, it's just DH and I. But I don't think having kids with us would change that.

I simply think it’s a bit off to compare room sizes like that. RCCL 182 sq ft plus balcony at 50 sq ft is 230 sq ft, and DCL with balcony is 241. It’s a pretty identically sized room.

DCL does have generally more rooms for a family of five than most of the other lines, so that is something since I have 3. That said, we have sailed on other lines in two rooms since my youngest was 1, we have done tiny rooms when I had two small kids. I’ve never needed a crib in the room, though we have brought our Kidco Peapod before.
It depends on which specific room type, which I wasn't totally clear on earlier:
- Deluxe Verandah is 203 cabin + 43 balcony
- Family Verandah is 256 cabin + 43 balcony
- Royal is 182 cabin + 50 balcony
- NCL mini-suite is 207 cabin + 32 balcony

So there's some variation.

DCL also has some larger OV/Interior options that seem hard to find on other lines... Family OV at 241 sf, and even Deluxe Interiors at 204 sf. OV/Interior options on NCL are much smaller.

I don't think anyone was trying to shout you down. I was just pointing your calculations on square footage was wrong because DCL square footage includes the balcony and others don't. If square footage is important too you. Carnivals newer ships have larger rooms then DCL. They also have family rooms with split bathrooms and family suites that will price out much lower then DCL.

This.

Actually, you COULD do it, you are choosing to be contrary and not. Millions of families with small children cruise in 185 sq ft of space with 1 bathroom. They make it work and you could as well.

All of the mass market cruise lines are the same. DCL is NOT an exception even though you are part of the cult who thinks it's so much better. I'm sorry, when I read about a waiter cutting children's meat and kissing their heads it totally grosses me out. That is creepy, weird and not acceptable. But you go ahead and overpay for your precious family vacation. I'll spend 3 weeks in Europe for the same price you are paying for 1 measly week with a rodent.
Why must we get nasty when we disagree with someone else's post? It actually gives your opinion a more negative tone.
Some people like Disney cruises for reasons you may not understand, just as you like other lines for reasons I may not understand.

I agree that room size is near the bottom of the list for me in terms of reasons why I’d sail any specific line. We have made a tiny inside room work for four of us. With five, we’ve made it work to have one small inside and one slightly bigger balcony or ocean view. It’s perspective. We make it work so we can cruise. Others may not make it work.

Sorry to have caused such a fracas! Since we are 5, the savings really just isn't there for us as the options for 5 in one room are very limited on the other lines. When you factor that the best part of it for my kids is the Disney aspect, I would be hesitant to switch lines if I was not seeing a significant price dip. My original post was mostly contemplating just DCL, but wondering if others have had luck with last-minute discounts which seems like a pretty resounding no, so I definitely got my answer.

To the pp that mentioned the family OV rooms on DCL -- I can definitely vouch for these and we sailed in one last time and loved the room itself. If others are looking for an option for 5 I think it is a great way to save a bit of money on DCL (I think it was about $500 less than verandah when I booked), but it does seem to sell out much faster than the family verandah, and I note a lot of them are far forward which was a bit rough if you (like me) have motion sickness.

I suspect we will go with the significantly cheaper late August option on DCL + trip insurance to guard against hurricanes. I grew up in a foreign country where the temperature regularly topped 120 degrees so summer heat does not bother me too much :)

I do really appreciate all the feedback on this. Hope all of the other moms out there have a fantastic mother's day weekend!

Have to back you up on this. We are a family of 4, and to get comparable space on the other lines you frequently end up spending just as much. Or maybe a little less. But to get us in a room on RCCL that accommodates my son and a crib for my daughter, we need a junior suite. We are better off on Disney, which is built for families from top to bottom. Disney's standard rooms are larger to accommodate families, and the split bath with tub is super valuable. DCL is pricey, but if you actually compare apples to apples with the other lines it often isn't so insane.

When our kids are older I'm sure RCCL/NCL may work better. But for the next 5-7 years, there really isnti a choice to be made.

I want to thank you for pointing this out. It may not apply to everyone, but it is useful information. Likewise, a lot of times the difference is cost between lines is very time or itinerary dependent. I have seen plenty of itineraries/rooms where the DCL difference is 2-fold or more, and others where the difference is quite small. Ultimately, each person needs to look at the room size, dates, and destination that works for them and then compare prices and features between the lines. It would be a disservice if people simply heard the message that "DCL is twice the cost" without first figuring out what the difference is for the trip they are interested in.

So personally, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and giving us all something to consider in our own situation.

Disney does a great job convincing people that their brand is worthy of the extremely high prices. I think everyone should compare other offerings and really understand the differences before deciding to spend so much more. We haven't done a cruise yet, but for last few our Disney vacations we have found more value staying at the Swan than at Disney deluxe and even some moderate hotels. Disney will continue to raise prices as long as people continue to drink their Kool-Aid.

Sorry to have caused such a fracas! Since we are 5, the savings really just isn't there for us as the options for 5 in one room are very limited on the other lines. When you factor that the best part of it for my kids is the Disney aspect, I would be hesitant to switch lines if I was not seeing a significant price dip. My original post was mostly contemplating just DCL, but wondering if others have had luck with last-minute discounts which seems like a pretty resounding no, so I definitely got my answer.

To the pp that mentioned the family OV rooms on DCL -- I can definitely vouch for these and we sailed in one last time and loved the room itself. If others are looking for an option for 5 I think it is a great way to save a bit of money on DCL (I think it was about $500 less than verandah when I booked), but it does seem to sell out much faster than the family verandah, and I note a lot of them are far forward which was a bit rough if you (like me) have motion sickness.

I suspect we will go with the significantly cheaper late August option on DCL + trip insurance to guard against hurricanes. I grew up in a foreign country where the temperature regularly topped 120 degrees so summer heat does not bother me too much :)

I do really appreciate all the feedback on this. Hope all of the other moms out there have a fantastic mother's day weekend!

Take a look at Carnival Vista and Carnival Horizon "Family Harbour Cabin". They can accomodate 5. They are really nice. They are usually used for longer cruises but you might find something that fits your need there.

Take a look at Carnival Vista and Carnival Horizon "Family Harbour Cabin". They can accomodate 5. They are really nice. They are usually used for longer cruises but you might find something that fits your need there.

Thanks, that is really useful! Going to check it out.

Actually, you COULD do it, you are choosing to be contrary and not. Millions of families with small children cruise in 185 sq ft of space with 1 bathroom. They make it work and you could as well.

I'm technically on your side of the debate but this post is uncalled for.

Disney does a great job convincing people that their brand is worthy of the extremely high prices. I think everyone should compare other offerings and really understand the differences before deciding to spend so much more. We haven't done a cruise yet, but for last few our Disney vacations we have found more value staying at the Swan than at Disney deluxe and even some moderate hotels. Disney will continue to raise prices as long as people continue to drink their Kool-Aid.
Granted, but what made you choose a Disney vacation over a more cost effective option such as a Six Flags property?

Have to back you up on this. We are a family of 4, and to get comparable space on the other lines you frequently end up spending just as much. Or maybe a little less. But to get us in a room on RCCL that accommodates my son and a crib for my daughter, we need a junior suite. We are better off on Disney, which is built for families from top to bottom. Disney's standard rooms are larger to accommodate families, and the split bath with tub is super valuable. DCL is pricey, but if you actually compare apples to apples with the other lines it often isn't so insane.

When our kids are older I'm sure RCCL/NCL may work better. But for the next 5-7 years, there really isnti a choice to be made.

Won't you only need room for a crib for one more year at most?

Thanks, that is really useful! Going to check it out.

If you're interested in finding all your room options across the lines, your best bet is to go over to Cruise Critic. It has a reputation but there is a Family board, and if you ask specifically about accommodating x number of people and specific sleeping arrangements, you'll get a lot of data.

I have a 4 year old and 1 year old, and the problem for me with other cruise lines is of course the space, but also the layout and the bed situation. Other cruise lines seem to either expect 2 kids to share a pullout sofa, or they have pullman beds that open directly over the main bed. To me, both of these are pretty much nightmare situations. When you have an infant or a small child (3 and under) used to sleeping by themselves in a crib, asking them to sleep in a bed with no rails, with their sibling, is a recipe for disaster. Another huge benefit to the disney rooms are the curtain dividers. It is wonderful to be able to close the divider, put a sound machine on their side, and DH and I could freely move around the room, or one of us could leave, and not disturb the kids. Once the kids were asleep, with the layout of the room I even managed to sneak out on the verandah most nights.

While our kids are little we will continue cruising with Disney. I prefer to actually sleep at night. Without kids over my head, and without them falling out of bed or waking each other up with kicking or crawling.

Granted, but what made you choose a Disney vacation over a more cost effective option such as a Six Flags property?

We like the overall atmosphere, shows and the dark rides, something missing at Six Flags. We enjoy roller coasters and thrill rides too but not a day of doing nothing but those. We also like many of the Disney restaurants. Honestly, in retrospect, we wish we had gone less frequently (perhaps every third year rather than annual) and looked into traveling elsewhere. The cost of our trips to Paris and London in recent years were comparable to our trips to Disney at a Deluxe hotel. You can't beat the cultural authenticity and history of these places, something that is lacking at Disney.

I've done more than my share of cruise research, and that is what I've found anecdotally. I know you'll find many that agree with you on there boards, but I always roll my eyes at these declarations because in my experience the huge pricing differences are often for vastly different room types/sizes. Once you get to a 240-square foot room with a split bath, a lot of the difference vanishes. Maybe not all of it, but the ''two cruises for the price of Disney argument doesn't hold up."

Using your dates, here are a couple examples:

RCCL Harmony 6/2/19, Oceanview balcony: $5,287 (nonrefundable deposit)... probably $5,700 with refundable. BUT, that's for a 182 square foot room, compared to Disney's 241. If you don't think that extra space is worth including in your analysis for a family of four, then we disagree on principle. It's not millimeters, it's almost 60 square feet. Disney's room is 33% larger.

And remember, Royal's room will not accommodate a crib if four people are staying in it. If that's the case, you have to bump up. To get a 271 square foot room on the same ship, it's $7,738 (again, nonrefundable... probably more like $8,500 with refundable). A Junior Suite costs even more ($8,927 non-ref.). NOTE: I realize 271 is greater than 241... but it's a diminishing marginal return beyond a certain point... 241 feels a whole lot larger than 182... 271 would feel larger than 241, but that extra space isn't as important at that point.

If you get Kids Sail Free, then RCCL would be materially cheaper. But that solely depends on your dates.

NCL Breakaway 6/2/19, Oceanview balcony: $5,012.32 (includes specialty dining & open bar). 207 square foot room, so closer to Disney's than Royal's. to get a 239 square-foot Mini-Suite, it's $5,272.32. I'm not sure if that's necessary with a crib; a regular balcony may be fine.

Above, Royal does not come close. If you need space for a crib, you're paying the same as Disney prices, if not more. Norwegian actually looks like a very good deal. I'd strongly consider that Breakaway cruise for $3,000 savings. However, neither Royal nor Norwegian comes with a split bath or a tub. Is that worth $3,000? Probably not to me. Bt when you factor in the rest of how DCL is basically built for small children, I might talk myself into it. More likely I'd shoot for a less busy time and not pay the summer premium.

Can you cruise for less? Of course, DCL charges a premium. But not "always", and the examples that cite enormous savings on other lines usually are doing so without comparing apples to apples... it's not always a slam dunk. It certainly is not with Royal above. Maybe it is with Carnival, but I don't think Carnival to Disney is an apples to apples comparison, either.

I was simply giving the OP a contrarian thought to the often-repeated lines about Disney's prices... when you break everything down, I think there's a good reason for a lot of the price differences. Maybe it doesn't make up for all of the price differences, but it makes up for a lot.

I'm not here to get into an argument; I'm simply giving the OP my opinion that she isn't necessarily "missing something" when pricing other cruise lines. That's what these boards are for. The vast majority of the feedback here has been very helpful and spot on... I'm just telling her that I've had the exact same experience when pricing things out. When I compare apples to apples for my family of 4, DCL is not double the price, and sometimes it's awfully close (as in the Royal example above).

You bring up some valid points. Honestly I could not care less about the size of my room. I am hardly in it. I do care about pools, specialty dining options (where I am able to bring my daughter), itineraries, buffet option for dinner on the nights we're just too worn out to sit through a long meal in the dining room, adventure things for my daughter to do on board, and more. IMO, that's where DCL falls short. For us DCL is almost always not worth the price. I always say that it's great that there are so many cruising options to keep us all happy!

BTW - trying to remember but I do believe we cruised on...probably the Magic...where we had an inside that didn't have a split bathroom. Would that be correct/possible?

I don't want to argue but we've done the "two cruises for the price of Disney" multiple times. Our Norway cruise on NCL in a mini-suite was $3500 less than DCL for the same time/itinerary. Our Southern Caribbean cruise in a 2 bedroom concierge suite on RCCL was $1500 less than our balcony room on DCL for the same time/itinerary. Our NY cruise on Princess in a mini-suite was $2000 less than on DCL. We're paying $2300 for our 7-night Caribbean in a balcony room on RCCL Allure in October. Looking at DCL, the price is $5400. I *always* price DCL when we're looking at cruises and I would sail them in a heartbeat if it was comparable or even a little more. So I'm sorry you have to "roll your eyes" at us. In *our* experience, we can sail twice as much because we don't sail DCL.

We sailed Disney when our son was little, and I will give you that DCL has bigger rooms and will accommodate a crib much better. Now that he's in school, and will be in middle school later this year, we tend to travel during spring break, summer, or fall break. During those times DCL is more than we're willing to pay. The rooms may be smaller and harder to hold 4 on the other lines, but for the 3 of us we don't miss the space. Sometimes I miss the divider curtain, but again some mini-suites have that too (I don't think the *away ships do though). Sounds like DCL is right for your family now but you may find that will change.

If you get a mini-suite on NCL they can have a tub. Not a split bath like on DCL, but you can find a room with a tub if you look for one. Since you're a family of 4 you may find 2 balcony rooms (with 2 FULL bathrooms) on another line will be remarkably cheaper than DCL.

I have no problem with people choosing DCL over another line. I would too if I had limited vacation time or an unlimited budget (and they were going where I wanted to go!). What drives me crazy is the unwillingness to even consider another line might be good too.

THIS is us! The Allure is our favorite ship...until we cruise on the Harmony in November. :yay: Have a fantastic cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter