• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you go to Maui next month, if the opportunity arose?

Would you go to Maui next month?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Yes, if the price was right

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Maybe, depends on the logistics

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • No, too expensive/too short notice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, too sad/I'd feel like I was intruding on their suffering

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

QueenIsabella

DIS Veteran
An opportunity has dropped in our laps, for most of my family to go to Maui next month. I'm torn. DH is definitely going, but he'll be working 12-hour days for 3 weeks, no days off. The rest of us might tag along over Thanksgiving. We love Maui, but the circumstances aren't the best--DH will be working with crews that are cleaning up Lahaina. It would be me, DD28, DD20, and DS17--older DS will stay home.

I'm curious about people's opinions. Thanks!

An opportunity has dropped in our laps, for most of my family to go to Maui next month. I'm torn. DH is definitely going, but he'll be working 12-hour days for 3 weeks, no days off. The rest of us might tag along over Thanksgiving. We love Maui, but the circumstances aren't the best--DH will be working with crews that are cleaning up Lahaina. It would be me, DD28, DD20, and DS17--older DS will stay home.

I'm curious about people's opinions. Thanks!
I would go. First of all, and especially with the work your husband is doing, you have a clear understanding of what the situation is in the affected area. Second, even if your husband doesn’t have any days off, you may have the opportunity to see him during the evening/overnight hours. With him working for so many weeks, being able to spend even an hour together becomes important. Third, as a PP mentioned, the locals in Maui need people to come to the island to support the businesses that are still operating. So if I were you, I would go.

If we went, we would be staying as close to Lahaina as is reasonable, since that's where DH would be working.

A little more information: Many years ago, DH and I were both firefighters/EMTs, and we also did Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD). What's that? We provided a "soft place to land" for EMS workers who have assisted on terrible scenes. We had special training for this. Now, DH is on the CISD team for work, so that's why he's been called to Maui. I think he wants me to go, just to help keep his head in the game. It can be hard for the debriefers, who are "helping the helpers", especially on a 12/7 schedule.

If we went, we would be staying as close to Lahaina as is reasonable, since that's where DH would be working.

A little more information: Many years ago, DH and I were both firefighters/EMTs, and we also did Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD). What's that? We provided a "soft place to land" for EMS workers who have assisted on terrible scenes. We had special training for this. Now, DH is on the CISD team for work, so that's why he's been called to Maui. I think he wants me to go, just to help keep his head in the game. It can be hard for the debriefers, who are "helping the helpers", especially on a 12/7 schedule.
Go. And bless you both for doing this work. :flower3:

In another life, I had some emergency response training. Having read this, I think it's very important for you to go, to help your DH!

Just another little tidbit--we went to Hawaii last year. It was a grand tour, 4 islands, meant to introduce Hawaii to our kids--my in-laws meant to retire there, but FIL got cancer and died instead (on Oahu). Maui was my favorite of the islands, and we actually spent time in Lahaina. Our hearts broke when we heard of the wildfires an massive destruction. We had talked about going back, in winter when the whales would be there. This wasn't what we'd been thinking, but...

A coworker just came back from Maui ( stayed in Kihei) and was saying how welcoming everyone was and you can tell how the wildfires have impacted tourism. I am on a few Hawaii Facebook groups and they are wanting people to visit just not the affected area and to be respectful. It is important for their economy.

I agree that for the reason your DH is going you should go there for him as well.

I voted “other” because of the date mentioned.

I would never leave my parents or in-laws for Thanksgiving or any other holiday. Our family is very small - DH has no siblings and I have a brother that abandoned our family. So if me/we aren’t here, then our parents are alone for holidays and I can‘t do that to them. Even if it was a free trip - I’m still not going. I would be supportive of DH going over Thanksgiving, he is a retired volunteer firefighter, so we know what it’s like to have him gone for holidays and special occasions.

I definitely say go as they need our dollars spent over there. Have a nice thanksgiving dinner Maui style at Mina’s Fish House

I voted “other” because of the date mentioned.

I would never leave my parents or in-laws for Thanksgiving or any other holiday. Our family is very small - DH has no siblings and I have a brother that abandoned our family. So if me/we aren’t here, then our parents are alone for holidays and I can‘t do that to them. Even if it was a free trip - I’m still not going. I would be supportive of DH going over Thanksgiving, he is a retired volunteer firefighter, so we know what it’s like to have him gone for holidays and special occasions.
I hear you. All grandparents have passed on. My DD28 typically doesn't visit us for Thanksgiving--she lives 800 miles away, and is a teacher, so it's not worth the travel time for the short visit. She normally spends Thanksgiving with her boyfriend's family. However, for Maui, she said, "Forget them!" So, I'd actually be seeing her for this, versus normally.

I'm a little concerned about leaving DS26 all by his lonesome. But, for better or worse, he's autistic and extremely introverted, and would RATHER be left alone. He has work, he can drive, he might get a turkey sub (if he remembers that most stores are closed and orders ahead of time). He'd rather have the quiet house with the cats! We'd board the dog--she'd be miserable home alone while DS is at work.

Minor update: We're going! I booked the flights this morning. I still have to arrange the hotel (have some ideas), the rental car, and book the transportation to/from the airport (it was cheaper and more choices, flying out of a different area).

I had given DH a couple days to really think about it and be candid as to if he wanted us to go. This is less about us having a good time, more about giving him a lift (and easing his guilt over being gone for 3 weeks).

I don't know if we'll be able to visit Lahaina. If we can, we'd like to pay our respects, both to the community at large, and to the banyan tree (which LIVES! Despite everything!).

Once the logistics are worked out, we can start planning any activities--a whale watch, if they have them going (it's not prime season). Knowing my kids, it wouldn't surprise me if they found some volunteer work to do while we're there.

Not comfortable traveling yet, so that is the reason I would not go.
Another reason, I have been to Hawaii five times and only been to Maui twice. Just too expensive, last time we could stay on Hawaii for three days for what one night in a hotel in Maui would cost.
But to directly answer the OPs question, I have no issue going to Maui related to the fire. The people who live there need the jobs.

Not comfortable traveling yet, so that is the reason I would not go.
Another reason, I have been to Hawaii five times and only been to Maui twice. Just too expensive, last time we could stay on Hawaii for three days for what one night in a hotel in Maui would cost.
But to directly answer the OPs question, I have no issue going to Maui related to the fire. The people who live there need the jobs.
You understand that we're going to Maui because that's where my husband was called to serve--it's not a random vacation destination. Cost is secondary (she says as she scours VRBO for a villa on the cheap).

Maui happens to be my favorite island, of the 4 I've been on, but that's coincidence. One of my kids favors Hawaii, one favors Oahu; the other two, I don't know. I happened to have a doctor's visit yesterday, the MD is going to Maui in Jan.--his favorite is Hawaii, as well. They all have their own style of beauty.

You understand that we're going to Maui because that's where my husband was called to serve--it's not a random vacation destination. Cost is secondary (she says as she scours VRBO for a villa on the cheap).

Maui happens to be my favorite island, of the 4 I've been on, but that's coincidence. One of my kids favors Hawaii, one favors Oahu; the other two, I don't know. I happened to have a doctor's visit yesterday, the MD is going to Maui in Jan.--his favorite is Hawaii, as well. They all have their own style of beauty.
Yes I understand the husband is working, but it IS a vacation for the four other members of the family that are tagging along.
I was very fortunate to get a chance to spend 3 weeks on Lanai, back in 1977 when it was still owned by Dole. We camped on the beach at Hulopo'e Beach Park and did multiple scuba dives. That beach is claimed today to be the most beautiful beach in the U.S. There were no hotels on Lanai then, and today the Four Seasons Resort overlooks that park. So that was my favorite Hawaiian Island at the time. Funny that whole month long trip (we were on Hawaii for a week camping and scuba diving too) cost $1,500 including air fare and food. Now, one night at the Four Seasons Hotel there is $1,500!

Yes I understand the husband is working, but it IS a vacation for the four other members of the family that are tagging along.
I was very fortunate to get a chance to spend 3 weeks on Lanai, back in 1977 when it was still owned by Dole. We camped on the beach at Hulopo'e Beach Park and did multiple scuba dives. That beach is claimed today to be the most beautiful beach in the U.S. There were no hotels on Lanai then, and today the Four Seasons Resort overlooks that park. So that was my favorite Hawaiian Island at the time. Funny that whole month long trip (we were on Hawaii for a week camping and scuba diving too) cost $1,500 including air fare and food. Now, one night at the Four Seasons Hotel there is $1,500!

Actually, DH and I used to do CISD together, and he wants me there so I can debrief him, after he's spent weeks debriefing the workers. So, not such a vacation for me! For the kids--yeah, sure, it's a vacation, but also, it's the only way they get to see their dad over those 3 weeks, and for Thanksgiving. And it will help him, seeing his family while he does his emotionally draining job. So, it's a little different than, say, my orthopedist bringing his kids along to a medical conference (although he, too, will be busy with the conference--he'll likely tack on a few extra days for sightseeing. He mentioned something about renting a convertible last time.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter