Would you go to hotel and not the fort to save $?

flash828

Mouseketeer
Wife came across the deal for free dinining for the Dis hotels. We have next Thanksgiving reserved for the Fort. After we compare prices it would be about a $470 savings to do hotel. I like to save money but I also like the Fort.

Fort price includes: Gas to get down there, staying overnight (min of 2 day drive, about 18hrs), the site itself, cart rental and tickets. Still have to buy food. Last time we did the fort we ate out most of the time.

Dis Hotel: Free flight (no long drive), rental car, food on dining plan and tickets.

The fort gives us our own beds (pop-up) and more space but the hotel puts almost 500 bucks in our pockets

Would you forgo the fort trip for one of the dis hotels? It wouldn't be a deluxe.

We have stayed at most of the hotels many times, yes as the prices keep going
up on campsites I can see going to the hotel instead and have $ 500.00 to spend on other items...

We did it....hated it. Stayed at the all stars sports. It wasn't worth the savings to us. It wasn't the same at all. The buses are packed to MK. CM weren't as nice. Loud. Hated going out to get breakfast and coffee.

Might be different at a nicer resort though...

SKYW is 100% correct. You get what you pay for or in this case what you don't pay for. We will take our class A any day over the low end Disney resorts packed with deals guest. We are DVC members and if we go to the resorts we stay at the DVC resorts with no free anything.

Can you get the free dining with a cabin at FW? Best of both worlds? Not sure how the pricing would compare though.
For me, saving the 2 days drive each way if you can get free flights would be worth it.

I would if it were one of the deluxe or atleast moderate resorts. We have actually considered it ourselves with the free dining package.

flash828,

is the free dining the same time as your reserved dates at the Fort? You mentioned that was next Thanksgiving. Seems unusual that they would offer free dining during what is traditionally a busy time at WDW.

To me "this Thanksgiving" is November 2011 and "next Thanksgiving" (the phrase you used) in my mind would be November 2012. I checked the DIS http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneypackages.htm#general and it has 2011 and early 2012 free dining dates listed. It looks like arrivals up through 11/17 and then after 11/26 qualify. :confused3

Nevertheless, free dining has been the Siren's Song that has lured other campers to the resorts. If the financial side of the equation is significant, then do it (at least once) to see how it appeals to you like Skyw did. You wouldn't have been the first. Then let us know how it went. ;)

Bama ED

Yes, I would stay at a moderate or deluxe to save $500 but not a value. We enjoy staying at the mods and deluxes - but if you aren't a hotel person this deal wouldn't be a good choice for you. Good luck and let us know where you end up staying. Either way, you're still at disney!:thumbsup2

I would stay at a Deluxe Resort if I had no other options.
However, given options I will always choose The Fort.

Let's see, we have stayed at Value, Moderate and as DVC Members at Deluxe and would have no problems with saving money or spending less time traveling. We find any of the rooms adequate.

Fly this time and put the dollars saved towards a FW trip in the future.

$500 is a good chunk of cash. Why get a car if flying in, why not use magical express an save even more $$$?

If you are one the water or rail, trans may not be that big of deal.

Hi...as I said it would not be a deluxe...for the price you hit at the deluxe it would be worth to stay at the fort.

We have done the hotels, all 3 levels in the past so it would not be a surprise of what you get. Just the big chunk of change that makes us wonder. Last time at the fort was June 2010.

It would not be the same exact time. Yes, it is for next year.

Would rent a car because we really like to get around and not wait for a bunch of connections.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. My family goes to disney more for the FW experience. We love to camp and it is by far our favorite campground. Looping in our golfcart is what we do almost the entire time we are at the world. If you dont care too much about the atmosphere(sp?) then I say for with the hote!

are you a park commando family or will you actually take advantage of the amenities that the Fort offers?

For $500 savings, not having to spend 2 days driving each way, and no cooking or cleaning, I would do the hotel and put the $500 into my next disney vacation fund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter