• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you drive or Fly to FL this Summer?

Fly or Drive to FL from Northeast

• Drive

Votes: 39 33.1%
  • Fly

Votes: 76 64.4%
  • other

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
Have to be honest here. I haven't flown in 15 years or so. Just can't stand the hassle. My wife has for family functions. We don't stay at hotels any longer either. Bought an RV and that's how we go everyplace now.
I know that wasn't an option on your list, but just saying I drive everywhere now no matter where the endpoint is. My wife and I both work remote so that's another part of the equation where we are lucky.
Some times it's not about the money, plus you can't count on a flight being 2 hours. For example, two weeks ago my buddy flew from Richmond to Mobile. On the return 7:30am flight there was a problem with the brakes on the plane. There was no mechanic at Mobile so they had to bring one in. I'll skip the fun and drama, but later that evening the flight ended up being cancelled. Day one gone. The following day, after fighting with the airline they got them a flight with another carrier. They took a side trip to Dallas with a multi-hour layover. Finally got to Richmond at 8:45pm. Day two gone. So, a painfully long story to illustrate that flying isn't all that either, and if I'm reading peoples reports correctly these multi day delays are getting more frequent.

Last edited:
We have been flying for the last 12 years, but this year we are driving. Too many flights cancelled/rescheduled that we aren't comfortable with relying on their schedule right now. We had a family member that spent an extra 2 days in Orlando the week before Easter. I had a work trip coming home from Orlando where my flight was cancelled and the next day they flew us to Ft Lauderdale before sending us back up to BWI. If something like that happened on the way to Orlando, we would absolutely hate it. Plus, for us, even though the flight is 2 hours, flying is basically a 7-8 hour trip between driving to the airport, parking, security and everything before we would get to Disney property. I know the drive will be a bit more than double that, but we are giving it a shot this year. Plus this way we will have our van down there and no need to rent a car.

I live in Maryland and I have done both (fly/drive). On my last trip I decided to fly and my flight with United was delayed by 4 hours and 30 minutes due to the plane arriving broken and them having to send another plane in from Fort Lauderdale. My flight back with Southwest was delayed by 10 minutes, which I don't think is much of an issue. The line for security was AWFUL though - like worse than how MCO usually is. The uncertainty of flight delays/cancellations right now would make me personally want to drive. With crew shortages at an all time high I wouldn't want to risk having any issues. In any other circumstance, I would say fly but with all of the issues going on right now with flying I would drive.

I do agree with others in that you should compare flight prices vs. gas to see what would economically be the best choice for you.

I would be up for the drive to make it an experience. Plus I can only imagine with a 15 year old how hard it is to get them to talk to you so you basically would have them stuck with you in a car for 20 hours hahaha.

Kids are still too young on our side to do non-stop driving down but that will be the plan in a couple years likely. We even thought about it next summer possibly when we have way more time to make extra stops on the way.

Fly
I try to keep my car trips at 3 hours and under.
I vote fly even after having our flight home on Monday night cancelled.
We have made, if I'm not forgetting any, 15 round trip flights, with at least 2 legs each way, since pandemic started. Mixture of Southwest, Delta, and American flights. From many different airports, from the biggest (ATL) to our small little 5 gate airport, through all seasons.
Monday night was our first cancelled flight. Hadn't even had a delay up to that point. I think those are really good odds.

There's nothing worse than being on an unfamiliar road when the skies open up on you and it's a torrential downpour.
Been there and done that. You are right it is not fun.

Although I have also had lots of not so nice experiences with air travel to to be honest. I guess either way you can run into problems.

I would be up for the drive to make it an experience.
I am really starting to think about this part. Maybe it could be fun. If we stop once it is about 11 or so hours each day driving and if we stop twice it is only around 8. Granted it is more time then flying but we have the time right now.

Plus I can only imagine with a 15 year old how hard it is to get them to talk to you so you basically would have them stuck with you in a car for 20 hours hahaha.
Lol on this. Although my Daughter will spend most of the time on the way down taking about all the stuff she wants to bring back from Disney since we have daddy's truck to bring it back in :rotfl2:

For those saying "do a cost analysis", it would be unusual for a flight to be cheaper than driving, especially when talking about multiple people. That definitely factors in though. The biggest benefit (IMO) is TIME. Now, granted, you can have airline delays, but you can also have delays on the highway... accidents, construction, and weather all come into play.

For our flight to Orlando for a cruise next month, we're driving two hours (cheaper flights), arrive two hours before the flight, and have a two hour flight. Add an hour for luggage and delays, and that's 7 hours. Driving would be 12-13, and much more stressful (to me). That's a direct flight. If we were connecting, maybe add another hour or two.

Speaking of connecting, that has never stopped me from getting a flight. Of course, I'd like a direct, but only if the price is comparable.

If there is one part of the drive that makes me hesitant it is the northeastern portion of it (DC north) as this is where most of the traffic/ high stress driving is. If we do drive I would most likely take the "inland" route" vs going through NY/NJ/DC areas to avoid as many urban centers as possible. Sometimes I even take the back roads through VT to get over to eastern NY and then west from there to 88 until I can pick up 81.
Having done a couple of solo drives from the Midwest up to Maine years ago, I empathize with your reluctance to undertake the northern segment.

Foolish tourist that I was, I thought Rt. 1 from Northeast MA up to the Portland, ME area on a July weekend would be interesting. Certainly was if you like crawling much of the way in bumper-to-bumper traffic. :eek: YOICKS!

I definitely understand your hesitancy.

However you decide to get there, have a magical trip. :)

We drive from the Chicagoland area . There is really nothing enjoyable about the drive . Yes Michigan trips are enjoyable drives but this is not . 2 hours of torrential downpour in Florida midday, white knuckling it while my family sleeps. Not fun . We do it for cost savings . Traffic , construction, pit stops it’s not fun really. It’s exhausting splitting the drive . You just want to get there . When you do get there you need to recoup for days . It’s not easy .

We’ve driven twice from MA and the drive down isn’t so bad because of the excitement of what’s ahead at WDW. But the drive back was miserable as the trip was over and that long haul back was in front of us. If you can add days if you drive I would suggest adding them on the drive back and stop at places you’d like to see. That would break up the drive back and you’d have something to look forward to instead of the long boring ride.

Another suggestion if you decide to fly, is to fly down the day before your Disney vacation starts and stay at one of the hotels by Disney Springs. You can find deals on them on most of the internet sights. We’ve done this on our recent trips. The hotels are walking distance to DS and if your flight is delayed there’s not really any stress because you have that extra day.

As someone who has driven to/from CT/FL many times, I love and recommend the AutoTrain! I've gone on it probably half a dozen times. Most recently last Oct. I wish I was going on it next week when I drive north.

That being said-a laid back road trip sounds awesome! If you've got the time you could stop and see stuff along the way. My trip is not laid back lol but I am trying the inland route for the first time (with my folks, one of whom is physically disabled, and my quirky 7yo. What can possibly go wrong LOL)

Airlines are a mess right now. My ex-dh is flying north (we are going to the same event) and his flight already got changed from non stop to a layover. I'm just hoping he doesn't get delayed or cancelled!

Made the drive from central PA to Orlando countless times as a kid. I can’t think of any good memories from these trips. I do remember traffic, complaining from all the kids and my parents fighting about our complaining.

As a adult we only fly anywhere south of Virginia. We fly to Florida 2-3 times a year and have only had a cancellation one time.

It’s worth the risk for me simply because my childhood road trip memories have never faded-LOL

As someone who has driven to/from CT/FL many times, I love and recommend the AutoTrain! I've gone on it probably half a dozen times. Most recently last Oct. I wish I was going on it next week when I drive north.

That being said-a laid back road trip sounds awesome! If you've got the time you could stop and see stuff along the way. My trip is not laid back lol but I am trying the inland route for the first time (with my folks, one of whom is physically disabled, and my quirky 7yo. What can possibly go wrong LOL)

Airlines are a mess right now. My ex-dh is flying north (we are going to the same event) and his flight already got changed from non stop to a layover. I'm just hoping he doesn't get delayed or cancelled!
Tried to look into the auto train but couldn't find where it leaves outta CT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter