Would you consider DCL's menus too American?

My short answer is no.

My longer answer - it's an American cruise line šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø It's also a family cruise line. I think there's a good balance of "safe" foods that kids will actually eat, plus somewhat more interesting dishes for adults. Is it the most adventurous food you're going to find? Of course not. Do I enjoy it? Yup. I'm not booking Disney for adventurous or gourmet food. (also, my husband's response was "go eat off the ship if you want more international fare" šŸ˜‚ so I guess that's an option too)
I agree with this. One of the things weā€™ve lost with everything becoming ā€œinternationalā€ or ā€œglobalistā€ is regionalism. I hate going to London and seeing Starbucks. And I love starbucks. App is on my phone with over 700 points right now. I love going different places and doing new things, but nowadays everything is starting to seem the same. Most American cities are very similar now in a lot of ways. And globally things are becoming very similar. So while I like options and see the value in having Indian food, which Iā€™m actually not a fan of - sorry-, or Mexican food, which I like a lot, itā€™s also nice to have ā€œAmericanā€ food from the 90s. šŸ¤£

And I imagine if you are not American or coming from Europe or Asia or wherever and you go on dcl, I imagine you like seeing all the ā€œweirdā€ American food. Kind of like if you fly Lufthansa or whatever foreign airline it is fun to see their local snacks.

Last edited:
And I imagine if you are not American or coming from Europe or Asia or wherever and you go on dcl, I imagine you like seeing all the ā€œweirdā€ American food. Kind of like if you fly Lufthansa or whatever foreign airline it is fun to see their local snacks.
This is spot on for me šŸ˜ Coming from NZ, we love the Americana food and I can't wait to enjoy it when we sail from Auckland in November. My 4 year old sees American food on Kids Youtube and will be blown away to see a buffet of Mickey waffles and the like on his first cruise. My husband will be happy with whatever steak is on the menu. I'm looking forward to key lime pie, chicken tenders, and Disney service (our local service style is way more casual).

I agree with this. One of the things weā€™ve lost with everything becoming ā€œinternationalā€ or ā€œglobalistā€ is regionalism. I hate going to London and seeing Starbucks. And I love starbucks. App is on my phone with over 700 points right now. I love going different places and doing new things, but nowadays everything is starting to seem the same. Most American cities are very similar now in a lot of ways. And globally things are becoming very similar. So while I like options and see the value in having Indian food, which Iā€™m actually not a fan of - sorry-, or Mexican food, which I like a lot, itā€™s also nice to have ā€œAmericanā€ food from the 90s. šŸ¤£

When we were in Skagen Denmark there was a restaurant that was "all American Food". It was mostly burgers and BBQ. Burgers are served at every restaurant in Northern Europe and they are better than any I've ever had here. The price is nuts though except to pay 25-30 dollars for a burger in Denmark or Zurich.

This reminded me of the weirdest airplane food we were ever served. It was on KLM and it was plain white bread with corn kernels sprinkled on top.
Thatā€™s hysterical. I donā€™t know if you had kids with you on the plane, but I find kids especially get a kick out of this kind of stuff. The weirdest thing we ever got on a plane was on BA, a large bread roll with marmite inside heated inside tin foil. That was all they gave us lol. Completely non corporate. It looked like someone had packed lunch in their own kitchen for the entire plane. Loved it.

Royal did a different theme every night. Such as American, British, Italian, Indian, Greek, Asian etc you get the picture. It was decent and certainly better than the Dream. We sailed on the Magic last year and I thought the food was the best I ever had on a DCL cruise, but the ship was not full.
DCL does the themed food at lunch each day.

This reminded me of the weirdest airplane food we were ever served. It was on KLM and it was plain white bread with corn kernels sprinkled on top.
Oddest meal I had wasn't on a plane, it was in the Soviet Union in 1976. I was there was part of a class on "Socialized Medicine" offered by USC and in those days foreign tourists pretty much had their trip controlled by Intourist, the Soviet government owned travel company. Lunch several days was "Hard Boiled Egg Soup". It was chicken broth with a hard boiled egg in it. The egg was STILL in the shell. Odd.

Maybe they were making corn bread for the AmericansšŸ¤£

Oddest meal I had wasn't on a plane, it was in the Soviet Union in 1976. I was there was part of a class on "Socialized Medicine" offered by USC and in those days foreign tourists pretty much had their trip controlled by Intourist, the Soviet government owned travel company. Lunch several days was "Hard Boiled Egg Soup". It was chicken broth with a hard boiled egg in it. The egg was STILL in the shell. Odd.
Maybe they were trying to torture you by sort of offering foodšŸ¤£ Were you supposed to drink all the broth and then crack the eggšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

I'll admit this thread title made me chuckle as I remembered an incident from a previous sailing (IIRC, it was 2019 WBPC on the Wonder). A few sea days into the cruise, and right around when Cabanas closed to switch from breakfast service to lunch, I encountered a woman carrying a bowl of hardboiled eggs who was on her way to get some mayonnaise and relish so she could make a batch of egg salad for her family so they could finally eat something "normal" food instead of all the "weird" food on this cruise.

I'll admit this thread title made me chuckle as I remembered an incident from a previous sailing (IIRC, it was 2019 WBPC on the Wonder). A few sea days into the cruise, and right around when Cabanas closed to switch from breakfast service to lunch, I encountered a woman carrying a bowl of hardboiled eggs who was on her way to get some mayonnaise and relish so she could make a batch of egg salad for her family so they could finally eat something "normal" food instead of all the "weird" food on this cruise.
Yes, I guess a lot of folks have specific expectations in food. On our cruise a guy at a table over ordered Beef Wellington for dinner and was very vocal about wondering "what fool would put pastry on meat?". He also wore a jogging suit to dinner every night.
We encouraged our kids to try new things on the cruises we went on. Both kids discovered they like escargot and lobster.

I do love a good egg salad, but come on. A lot of people actually detest egg salad. I guess burgers and fries were too weirdšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Where is egg salad normal? Itā€™s not weird, but itā€™s not something you find everywhere.

I do love a good egg salad, but come on. A lot of people actually detest egg salad. I guess burgers and fries were too weirdšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Where is egg salad normal? Itā€™s not weird, but itā€™s not something you find everywhere.
Real eggs on a cruise are rare. Thatā€™s actually not a bad idea . Weird yes.

Speaking of egg salad, on our Lufthansa flight a few weeks ago, they served everyone egg salad sandwiches as a snack. I thought that was a weird choice too, given that a lot of people don't even like the smell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel youā€™ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter