Would you class yourself as popular in school?

:confused3 I honestly do not remember but I must have held my own because HS wasn’t traumatic. I was one of those restless people though that was just looking to get through it and get on with the next phase of life. I was dating an older boy already out of school so the center of my social life was elsewhere.

I haven’t kept in touch with anyone outside of those who were “family friends”. This thread has been interesting - I’ve been trying to recall the names of classmates and find I can’t really remember many at all. :blush: I didn’t distinguish myself much through clubs or sports so doubt many would remember me either.

:rotfl: No! However, I had a great group of friends and surprisingly enough was fairly comfortable in my own skin. I used to get mistaken for a substitute teacher when I wore long skirts... :laughing:

I was pretty popular in high school. I was captain of the volleyball team and captain of the dance team for the football season. I was a lead in all the school musicals, Chamber Choir chairman, student council secretary and a member of NHS. I was also on the homecoming and prom courts my Junior and Senior years. I was voted "Miss Congeniality" in the senior yearbook. I had a great group of close girlfriends and was also close to a lot of the boys in my grade. I dated the QB of the football team for 2 years. While I was popular, I don't think I was ever mean or unkind to anyone. I was just talkative, outgoing and sociable and very active in a lot of groups. While I mostly had a great time in high school, I still struggled with feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem. I never "felt" popular, even though I clearly was!

Nope, definitely not. I was a nerd, geeky, and my parents moved around a lot. And unfortunately, this was back in the days (50s and 60s) when bullying was accepted, because I remember lots of bullying. Maybe that's why I don't mind eating solo at WDW-I've had lots of practice.

For some reason, my graduating class year classmates were different from others. The others had the popular cheerleaders, football players, nerds in band/choir etc. that didn't talk to those who weren't. Our class for some reason bucked those stereotypes. I think it started in 7th grade when a lot of us were put into choir together. Some of us stayed in choir, went into band but it was a mix of cheerleaders, football players. We all pretty well got along. My best friend and I were the majorettes and the only ones that won any trophies at camp so the cheerleaders would beg us to go do our routines. The head cheerleader was in choir with us along with a few others, the football players were in band. I think my class just wanted to have a good time. A lot of us still send each other jokes on facebook.

Yes, I was in a group of about 10-12 girls and about the same number of guys at a large high school. We were in the same sports/clubs and classes.

no, my buddy's thought I was so funny, but when ever a girl was around I would clam up

Relatively. I was a band nerd (and actual nerd), but I was friends with just about everyone. I was on the Homecoming court.

Stuff like this makes me sad in a way, not why i visit this fourm, its not about who you were but who you are now. Everyone was uncomfortable in high school, popular or not, even if they dont admit it. If they say they wernt6 , they lie. Dont sweat the small stuff people! Move on and let nothing hold you back.

It's rare that anyone on these threads admits to being popular in high school, but someone had to be.

The results would probably have been more accurate with an anonymous poll. There aren't too many adults that want to make people feel worse about their youth.

ETA: I just saw your other post. I didn't mean to make you or anyone else feel bad about what they posted later. I was just replying based on my original thought, after reading the first couple posts.

The results would probably have been more accurate with an anonymous poll. There aren't too many adults that want to make people feel worse about their youth.

ETA: I just saw your other post. I didn't mean to make you or anyone else feel bad about what they posted later. I was just replying based on my original thought, after reading the first couple posts.
No offense taken. It's just that I've seen this question posted before and you see 5-6 pages of posters saying they were not popular at all. Well, SOMEONE had to be popular in high school.

I posted partly to show that what you experienced in high school doesn't have to dictate the rest of your life. I was popular, and while DH wasn't unpopular, he was quiet and shy and had a much smaller circle of friends. In all honestly, had I known him in high school, we would never have dated as classmates. He would never have had the nerve to ask me out. Plus, I tended to date extroverts. I would have liked him and been nice to him, but he wouldn't have been on my radar.

Once he got to college, he worked at being more social and by the time we met, he did have the nerve to ask me out. And by then, I could appreciate his amazing qualities. It's a good thing we met a few years after high school, because both of us had changed enough that we could meet in the middle and were able to discover we made each other happy. I also had a great time in college, but that's because I tend to have a good time wherever I go.

I am still much more social than DH and that will always be so. But cheerleaders and quarterbacks don't all lead charmed lives forever, and they don't always wind up with each other. Sometimes a popular girl winds up with the quiet guy and they have a great life.

I don't hang on to the past. I appreciate my life today, even with its rough spots, which are mainly health related. I see lots of moms living through their DDs, and I never did that. Her high school years were her own. I had a good time, but that was then and this is now. And I live in the present. When I went to my 10 year reunion, it was clear some people had hit their high point in high school and it was downhill from there. But I was pleased to see how many of the quieter, less popular classmates had come into their own and were very fun to spend time with. High school doesn't define us.

It's rare that anyone on these threads admits to being popular in high school, but someone had to be.
What percentage of the average graduating class could be considered the "popular" crowd? I'd say about 10% based on my experience. And I feel like we've had a higher percentage than that post on here that they were popular... do people really deny it? Why?

:confused3 I honestly do not remember but I must have held my own because HS wasn’t traumatic. I was one of those restless people though that was just looking to get through it and get on with the next phase of life. I was dating an older boy already out of school so the center of my social life was elsewhere.

I haven’t kept in touch with anyone outside of those who were “family friends”. This thread has been interesting - I’ve been trying to recall the names of classmates and find I can’t really remember many at all. :blush: I didn’t distinguish myself much through clubs or sports so doubt many would remember me either.
I wasn't popular, but I enjoyed my high school years. I had a decent sized group of good friends and there was nothing traumatic about being un-popular. Even now, unrecognized by many of my former classmates, I'm not traumatized. Honestly, I think it's pretty funny, and so do my husband and friends.

:rotfl: No! However, I had a great group of friends and surprisingly enough was fairly comfortable in my own skin. I used to get mistaken for a substitute teacher when I wore long skirts... :laughing:
This was my experience as well. Being outside the "popular crowd" doesn't necessarily mean you will have a horrible high school experience. I had plenty of friends in and out of school, and have a lot of great memories from high school.

Stuff like this makes me sad in a way, not why i visit this fourm, its not about who you were but who you are now. Everyone was uncomfortable in high school, popular or not, even if they dont admit it. If they say they wernt6 , they lie. Dont sweat the small stuff people! Move on and let nothing hold you back.
I don't get why people "classifying" themselves as popular or not, years ago in high school, would make you sad? Or why that means they are 'sweating the small stuff' or are unaware that even the popular kids were uncomfortable in high school too?? What gave that impression?
Not everyone can be in the 'in crowd' during their teen years. Being honest and stating that fact doesn't mean they were uncomfortable then or are uncomfortable now...

What percentage of the average graduating class could be considered the "popular" crowd? I'd say about 10% based on my experience. And I feel like we've had a higher percentage than that post on here that they were popular... do people really deny it? Why?

I wasn't popular, but I enjoyed my high school years. I had a decent sized group of good friends and there was nothing traumatic about being un-popular. Even now, unrecognized by many of my former classmates, I'm not traumatized. Honestly, I think it's pretty funny, and so do my husband and friends.

This was my experience as well. Being outside the "popular crowd" doesn't necessarily mean you will have a horrible high school experience. I had plenty of friends in and out of school, and have a lot of great memories from high school.

I don't get why people "classifying" themselves as popular or not, years ago in high school, would make you sad? Or why that means they are 'sweating the small stuff' or are unaware that even the popular kids were uncomfortable in high school too?? What gave that impression?
Not everyone can be in the 'in crowd' during their teen years. Being honest and stating that fact doesn't mean they were uncomfortable then or are uncomfortable now...

Because my brothers daughter developed an eating disorder that almost killed her because she wasnt in the in crowd. It took many years of force feeding and therapy to fix this. That why it makes me sad. Even now years later we have to watch what we say about food around her. As for remembering, some may not want to, it can make them uncomfortable. Just another perspective. Not wrong or right just diffrent.

Eh, there were so many social factors in my high school. I guess there was a popular crowd. We didn’t have cheerleaders, which seems to be a big indicator of popularity in most HS settings.

We had people who played sports and those in the drama club and a group that always hung out in the computer lab. But because it was boarding school you had your housemates, which added another social layer because there was a lot of time spent in your house and so you socialized with those people. Plus 3rd form and 4th form were in the same houses so there was cross-grade socialization there too.

I was definitely not the most popular person. I had friends on the swim and water polo teams and friends from my house that didn’t play the same (or any sports). I always had somewhere to go on weekends or Wednesday/Saturday afternoons if there weren’t sports games so I had a group and have good memories overall.

I think it differed from a typical HS dynamic because you lived with your classmates.

Like captain of the football team popular? No. But I'm an extrovert and had a wide group of friends which I'm still close to many years later so I was more popular than not.

We were also a bit of an oddity as far as cliques go. The captain of our football team was also our salutatorian and the vice captain was whatever you call the head of the drama club so there was a lot of overlap in groups that often don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter