Would you cancel and rebook to save 5404 SWA points?

ruadisneyfan2

DIS Veteran
So... We booked a seat for dh using SWA points, the price dropped so I cancelled and rebooked. At one week before our flight, I figured that was as good as it was going to get. I added my companion reservation and bought EBCI for me.

Now I just happened to check again, price went from 8075 pts to 2671 pts. I cannot change dh's reservation unless I cancel my companion pass reservation which mean I eat the $20 I paid for EBCI.

Still that's over 5400 points; easily another flight during off peak time.

Would you eat the $20 and take the points credit? Or leave as is?

Have you considered calling to see if they can do a price adjustment? We have a CP and I’ve called numerous times and the agent is always will and able to adjust the fair without making a new reservation or having the CP disappear. I don’t usually get EB, so I don’t know if this is possible. Good luck!

So... We booked a seat for dh using SWA points, the price dropped so I cancelled and rebooked. At one week before our flight, I figured that was as good as it was going to get. I added my companion reservation and bought EBCI for me.

Now I just happened to check again, price went from 8075 pts to 2671 pts. I cannot change dh's reservation unless I cancel my companion pass reservation which mean I eat the $20 I paid for EBCI.

Still that's over 5400 points; easily another flight during off peak time.

Would you eat the $20 and take the points credit? Or leave as is?
Definitely.

Have you considered calling to see if they can do a price adjustment? We have a CP and I’ve called numerous times and the agent is always will and able to adjust the fair without making a new reservation or having the CP disappear. I don’t usually get EB, so I don’t know if this is possible. Good luck!

I hadn't thought of this. I will definitely try. Do you have to call the special customer service line that is only open weekdays? Or just call their regular toll free number?

Eat it! But usually you can just adjust the ticket and get points back. I always just modify! Maybe you can't with companion?
When I try to "change" dh's ticket, it tells me I can't without cancelling the companion pass. I usually don't buy EBCI until I "know for sure" that I won't be rebooking it which typically is much more than 1 week prior. This close, prices are usually very high. This was very unexpected but I guess these days with covid, you never know. Nothing is predictable.

I second just calling the regular number. That’s what I’ve always done. There will probably be a wait and hopefully the option for you to leave a number for them to call you back. Good luck! It can’t hurt to call and ask.

Also, you usually can’t make changes to a ticket online with a CP attached to it, unless you cancel the CP. Occasionally, if I know the flight is wide open and I don’t feel like calling, I’ll quickly cancel the CP, make changes to the regular ticket and immediately re-add the CP. There is some risk involved with this, because someone else in theory could book the spot you had for the CP, then you would be out of luck.

My understanding is that the companion pass doesn’t need EBCI. Even though you have to check in separately, the companion will get a boarding number next to the primary flyer. That’s what happened when I recently flew with DD as my companion. So assuming your DH also has EBCI, you should be able to cancel your companion ticket, then change (not cancel) his ticket to get the lower price, then rebook your companion pass, and you should still get the boarding spot next to his.

My understanding is that the companion pass doesn’t need EBCI. Even though you have to check in separately, the companion will get a boarding number next to the primary flyer. That’s what happened when I recently flew with DD as my companion. So assuming your DH also has EBCI, you should be able to cancel your companion ticket, then change (not cancel) his ticket to get the lower price, then rebook your companion pass, and you should still get the boarding spot next to his.

I am dh's companion and this is true. Consecutive numbers every time this year (2 round trips so far) we did not buy ebci for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter