Would you accept a job without knowing the pay rate?

Just wanted to point out that a raise means you’d only pay higher taxes on the money that has put you in a different tax bracket. I don’t know what they are in the US (and I don’t want to know), but I’m doubtful a raise at a first job will ruin you financially with taxes lol
Wasn't quite what I meant.

Anyone who has gotten a raise especially in lower types jobs knows that the raise tends to get eaten up by taxes. I wasn't talking about moving into a new tax bracket but just rather your raise doesn't normally net you much. One year I got like a 5% raise but after accounting for the increase in what I paid for taxes of that it was like $100 for the year or something like that which ain't nothing really. And in retail or ones where you're paid that hourly wage and you only get raises in small amounts you might think a $0.50 to $1.00 raise is good until you start really looking into your take home pay.

I didn't say ruin you financially, I said it's not all it's cracked up to be because it's easy to get excited, especially when you're younger, for that raise. And it would help if you understood more about how the various states do taxes. For instance in my state for state income tax there's only 3 tax brackets so it's pretty hard to move up in tax brackets anyhow since for single it's if you earn $30K or more it's the top bracket. Federal is a different story.

Wasn't quite what I meant.

Anyone who has gotten a raise especially in lower types jobs knows that the raise tends to get eaten up by taxes. I wasn't talking about moving into a new tax bracket but just rather your raise doesn't normally net you much. One year I got like a 5% raise but after accounting for the increase in what I paid for taxes of that it was like $100 for the year or something like that which ain't nothing really. And in retail or ones where you're paid that hourly wage and you only get raises in small amounts you might think a $0.50 to $1.00 raise is good until you start really looking into your take home pay.

I didn't say ruin you financially, I said it's not all it's cracked up to be because it's easy to get excited, especially when you're younger, for that raise. And it would help if you understood more about how the various states do taxes. For instance in my state for state income tax there's only 3 tax brackets so it's pretty hard to move up in tax brackets anyhow since for single it's if you earn $30K or more it's the top bracket. Federal is a different story.

Yes, I know you didn’t say that you would be ruined financially. I doubt anyone reading my comment thought that you had said that. It’s not serious, hence the lol

For a shot in the auto mechanic trade? That can be a pretty lucrative gig, if someone is giving him a foot-in-the-door to literally learn a trade, I don't think the $$ matters much.
I really think this is a good point. Skilled trades are often poo-poo'd because kids don't go to college, but not every kid should go to college. Mechanics can make a very good income (as can many other skilled tradespeople). If he has an opportunity to get more experience, and he's still young, then the money for now is irrelevant. He can take that experience and go somewhere or even open up his own shop.

I would be concerned about his “ liability” if he accidentally makes a mechanical mistake and customer expects a free repair or something.

In California a salary pay ranges has to be in the job ad. My wife just took a job and the exact pay is spelled out in the job offer

I interviewed a place that wanted a verbal commitment to move forward with an offer… they would not tell me what the pay was exactly until I said yes. They also acted like the phone was cutting out when I asked how much PTO would be included.

They sent me an offer letter that included the pay, benefits (or lack thereof) and if said PTO would be discussed in “onboarding” my first day. The letter closed mentioning that this is an “at will” state.

I exercised my end of “at will” and sent them a resignation as a reply.

The whole thing seemed shady from the get go, I should know not to trust an insurance company. I figured I am better off staying where I am.

Kids!!!!! My young adult child is going to be the death of me!!!

Would you accept a job only knowing an approximate hourly rate for the job you are going to be doing?

My 19yr old son just accepted a job as an entry level mechanic doing oil changes, general repairs, at a family run mechanic shop near our house. He starts this week and doesn't know what he will be making!

Approximately two weeks ago he had an interview 2 weeks ago where they asked him what he was looking to make. He gave a range, which was very low in my opinion, and they said they would get back to him because the owner was out of town and they needed to confirm with him that it was ok to hire my son.

My son sees no issue with starting tomorrow and discussing pay when he starts. Oh vey!
Raising adult kids is rough and kinda painful. Definitely my least enjoyable age...I hope it gets better...mines 21. They're just so naive and so easily taken advantage of.

I did this as a teen. I was moving from a volunteer position to a paid position and it seemed kind of crass, in the brief conversations with my boss as she was running from one place to the next, to blurt out “but how much am I going to get paid?!” I figured they HAD to pay me minimum wage and I wasn’t expecting much more than that anyway, so I didn’t bother broaching the subject. Ultimately, I was pleasantly surprised by my first paycheck.

There’s something to be said for gaining experience, too, especially in the trades where apprenticeships pay practically nothing, as I understand it.

This is a pretty common scenario for first-timers, especially in entry-level jobs like your son's mechanic position. It's part of the learning curve – figuring out how to discuss and negotiate salary is a valuable skill he'll use throughout his career.

If he's earning around $20 per hour, that's not too shabby for a start, especially in a family-run shop. This rate would mean he's taking home roughly $3,900 a month, given a full-time schedule. That's a decent wage for someone just stepping into the workforce. Plus, this experience can pave the way for future opportunities and better pay.

Study these mechanic salaries in US. This info can really help him get a sense of what's fair and give him some solid ground to stand on when discussing pay.

Last edited:
Cant imagine taking a job without this info.

I won't even interview for a job without knowing on the first call - even then they usually lie to you.

Also someone else mentioned this - don't count on raises. I've seen it many times - we refuse to give someone who is very good what they are worth in the market - they leave - we spend money and TIME looking for a replacement - and then pay what we could have given the original person (or more) to stay.

Once you are in you may never catch up to new folks that come in after you unless you leave.

I've been offered my biggest raises after giving notice, but at that point once you give notice - go - or they will find a way to get back at you later.

Any legit job offer should include the pay/benefits. While at some places you may not work a 40 hr week due to how much business they have, it makes no sense to accept a job 'offer' without knowing what you will be paid. If you are accepting a job as a very small company, then 'negotiating' your pay may be more of a concern. Largers companies already have established pay ranges for each job position based on the specific job and your skill level/experience, particularly for entry level jobs. Promises of future increases/promotions should be treated more as a sales pitch to entice you to accept the job.

Last edited:
I’m 61 and haven’t worked outside the home since 2011. At that time I was working full time for $8.50 an hour which was the most I have ever made. I don’t really have any specific skills so it wouldn’t matter what I was making cause it would all be extra income for my husband and I. Even minimum wage would be more than I’ve ever made.

If I actually had a real hourly range and it was an early job, then yes I would be fine.

If it were today and I didn't have the information, then no way. My field has way too much variation, where some jobs could literally pay 3x as much.

Any legit job offer should include the pay/benefits. While at some places you may not work a 40 hr week due to how much business they have, it makes no sense to accept a job 'offer' without knowing what you will be paid. If you are accepting a job as a very small company, then 'negotiating' your pay may be more of a concern. Largers companies already have established pay ranges for each job position based on the specific job and your skill level/experience, particularly for entry level jobs. Promises of future increases/promotions should be treated more as a sales pitch to entice you to accept the job.
Its a bit to common now for companies to advertise one salary or verbally tell you a salary on the phone as you start the process.
Also they may say a large range, but its almost always at the low end or they advertise a level IV position but only have a level II open. Its not just me I hear the some from friends as well.
Really frustrating especially since its usually 4 or 5 rounds of interviews. I've even had them try to give me homework - which is when I end the process - not working for free thank you. its usually actual work like write a spec for this process, not a simple write this generic program.

One other big issue is you can go through three or four rounds of interviews and then be ghosted.
At least give me the common curtesy of saying no - sometimes they are just keeping you in their back pocket and call weeks later with an offer, but more often than not you never hear back.

And the last thing - they will sometimes not even have a position at the end of it - why are they even wasting the time - I've been on both sides of this one so a rec gets pulled or there is no budget all of a sudden etc.

Also - not as many jobs out there as we are lead to believe - depends on the industry.

In tech there is a big **** to offshore or near shore and lots of people looking for work - I know a large group of them and their experience is similar to mine. No doubt age is a factor - even though that is technically illegal.

I've had technical interviews with folks that have been coding for two years and theirs previous job was as a server in a chain restaurant. Nothing against that - and to be fair it was well they were in college - but my last years of collage I was making more money coding then I did after I got my degree. Different times though and early days of the internet (commonly used public internet - I know it goes way back before the late 90s).

There are tons of service industry jobs - i know.

Lots of good jobs for people that are in the trades - there are not enough of them because everyone is told they have to go to college. I tried to get my kid to go into the trades even though he did well in school and I sent him to a private school. In the trades you can be running your own business in a short time and you will have little to know debt to deal with. Could have even got him into one of the unions through a neighbor. So now he has a degree that honestly isn't of much value as he is finding out.

There are tons of mechanic jobs - they need folks that can do this kind of work - I was even offered a job doing oil changes myself when I was at the dealership getting my oil changed - if I knew how to do that id would not be there - but they need people and will train them. In six months who knows I might take it on and learn - I have no issue with it. Work is work.

NOOOO!!! I got my first job out of school and they made an offer, which was a lot higher than I was expecting but I still asked if I could consider it and get back to them within the next couple days. You never want to seem too eager and not iron out the details prior to accepting because it can create an awkward dynamic where they do not pay you for what you're worth.

Just wanted to point out that a raise means you’d only pay higher taxes on the money that has put you in a different tax bracket. I don’t know what they are in the US (and I don’t want to know), but I’m doubtful a raise at a first job will ruin you financially with taxes lol
Do people not understand how taxes work?!? A higher tax rate is paid only on the dollars that are in the higher bracket! It doesn’t charge a higher rate on the dollars in the lower rate bracket. More money is more money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter