Would this be OK today?

I sent DD the pic. She says duPont has a whole closet full of old ads they’d rather people never see again. Back from the “Better Living Through Chemistry” slogan days.

There are some people who are still convinced that Teflon is toxic. But in that ad it certainly was't DuPont making the recommendation to use a UV lamp. It was a third party name dropping DuPont. And absolutely they tested them for UV transmission, but I'm sure that was more about how it protected industrial products rather than exposing someone to UV.

Now you have me thinking....if we could take the time machine back to a given year in the 60s, 70s or even 80s...can you imagine how many ads would be a no-go today? Yikes. :crazy2:

Last edited:
There was a similar billboard in SoFla off the golden glades interchange where the dog actually moved and the pants would go up and down. It was an icon and they saved it for a long time but it fell into disrepair and is no longer.

That exact billboard also used to be right smack in downtown Miami, across from what is now Bayside Marketplace.

But would it be okay today?

No
-- virtually nothing is okay today. You could put up a flower and someone would be offended because it wasn't their favorite species of flower.

View attachment 582839

I liked those billboards and print ads.
:scared: Even as a young child in the 80s, I thought there was something highly disturbing about using child nudity for marketing purposes.
Yes, well apparently so was enclosing toddlers in cellophane bags (another fantastic idea out of the DuPont labs) and letting infants play with safety razors. I mean, hey, safety is right there in the name. :rotfl:
How advanced was photoshop in the early 50s? You think they actually wrapped those babies in cellophane for the photoshoot? :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter