• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would love to hear from people that have done DVC scuba in Cozumel & Grand Cayman

edmartin

Mouseketeer
We're booked in January. Far from convinced it's going to go, but let's be hopeful. We've reserved the DCL scuba excursions in Cozumel & Grand Cayman. I would love to hear from people that have done it.

What gear (of your own) did you bring or do they allow?

Are the tanks DIN or yoke?

Wetsuits needed? Provided?

Water temperature (in January) at depth?

Is there an option for nitrox?

Do they allow DPV's (underwater scooters)?

Any other suggestions?

We're booked in January. Far from convinced it's going to go, but let's be hopeful. We've reserved the DCL scuba excursions in Cozumel & Grand Cayman. I would love to hear from people that have done it.

This is MinnieMoomoo's husband and a Master Scuba Diver

What gear (of your own) did you bring or do they allow?

Both ports allow you to bring all your own gear or rent any part you need. I took all my own gear except wetsuits which were not needed in the Summer time. Did use their weights. I prefer integrated BCD weights and the suppliers prefer weight belts as they are faster to give out. I begged and they took weights off a weight belt for me. Usually you need to go to the Shore Excursion Desk to fill out liability forms before arrival and they ask you at that time what gear you want the provider to bring for you if any.

Are the tanks DIN or yoke? All the tanks I have seen are DIN

Wetsuits needed? Provided? Yes available if needed. None needed when we went in January

Water temperature (in January) at depth? Not known but checked and easily found on line through Google

Is there an option for nitrox? YES usually. When you check in on the ship at Shore Excursion desk, you normally can request Nitrox ahead of time and the Vendor will have them at an extra charge.

Do they allow DPV's (underwater scooters)? I have observed others using them and do not believe there are any restrictions.

Any other suggestions? Grand Cayman is the most beautiful in my opinion and the water is less salty than Cozumel and will need a less weight. Surrounding waters impacted by fresh water run off from island. (more brackish but still salty) Also, Cozumel diving is challenging due to periodic strong currents. In my book not recommended for beginners. Stay close to your partner, stay close to your Dive Master. I have been a part of multiple groups where members got separated by strong currents. (not always strong but sometimes very strong)

Also, last I went with Disney, first dive was restricted to 85 feet and second dives were much shallower in the 45 feet range. I asked and was told by vendor that these were Disney rules for their patrons. (may have changed)

Both ports are wonderful dives and I have been at least 5 times at each. Also more with other vendors as well on Carnival Cruises.

Enjoy yourself and relax. You will have so much fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter