would love to hear experiences of young children at Universal/IOA

abbyndrewmom

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of spending some time at Universal this trip we have two small children 3&5. They both love Nickelodeon, rugrats, scooby doo and Dr. Seues. I have been looking on the Universal board and there seems like there would be lots for them to do. Dh loves roller coasters and has patiently gone to Disney with us for 3 years without complaining so I would really like to let him have some fun while I keep the kids in the parks. I would to hear from some other parents who have taken there youngs kids to Universal.

Allison

I hope to be posting trip reports but if I slip up, just PM me during the first week in Sept and I'll let you know how we fared.

We enjoyed our time there, but it is less geared to younger children. IOA was filled with many many teenagers. The Seuss part was *wonderful* but, for the most part, the rest was just too old for them.
US is more family oriented and has some things the kids will really enjoy.
Don't skip the talking fountain at IOA. That entertained our kids for hours!
We definitely enjoyed Universal, though we probaby would have enjoyed it more if our kids had been just a bit older. They were 4 and 6 when we went, by the way.

We've split our WDW with Universal 2 times now and a 3rd time in October. Our DD's wouldn't have it any other way now!

We went December 2000 and December 2001 and Dr. Suess Landing was transformed into Whoville! We spent a least a couple of hours right there; our girls loved it so much!

At IOA:

You'll have Suess Landing for the little ones
-Pteranodon Flyers
-Flying Unicorn
And your 5 year old can even do Spiderman if they're brave enough! It's so cool!

At Universal:

-Barney Show
-ET
-Woody Wood Pecker Roller Coaster
-Hanna Barbera ride
-Curious George section with water and balls (our daughters LOVED this area and we spent 2 hours there!)
-Nickelodeon

And they'll love seeing the characters at both parks!

Your husband will love the rides at IOA!! I did and I love rollercoasters!

We only have one day to spend at US/IOA in Sept. We will have FOTL access as we are staying on site. DS is 3 DD is 6. How do you think we should spend our time...split 50/50 between the parks? Which one would you go to first? Thanks, Jo

They both have some stuff for kids 3 and 6 so either park first is up to you BUT I think IOA gets busier quicker and we ALWAYS do IOA first as it's our favorite. Like I said, the girls LOVE Suess Landing and can spend all day there if I'd let them!

I'd go to IOA first thing and get what you can done and then half way through the day, head over to Universal.

No one has mentioned Camp Jurassic in IOA. It is a wonderful play area for climbing, sliding, and running around. They also might enjoy the Triceratops encounter. It is so realistic (but NOT scary) my 10 yr. old said as she came out "I thought the dinosaurs were extinct!!" She really believed she was seeing a real live dinosaur. :rolleyes:

My kids ,including an almost 4 Yr. old, LOVED the Universal parks. Of course it helped that we were staying onsite and never waited in any lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter