• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would love some advice!

Elephantay

DIS Veteran
We are planning a multi-family group trip, and I'd love to know which two or three resorts you'd recommend and why. We will have ages 14-80's. There will be 10-18 people all together. We will have 2-3 separate units but want to be in the same resorts.
A big consideration would be the amount of walking, and things to do for the older people who may do fewer parks but like to stay busy.
A few questions:
-AKLJ or WL/CC?
-Monorail resort or BC ( dont like BW).
-What else is important to consider?
Thanks

Are you an owner booking with your own points or having points transferred in, or are you renting, or paying cash through Disney? That might affect your ability to book 2-3 villas in the same resort for the same time. The time of year you want to book will also affect availability.

If you're considering AKV, the Kidani villas are larger than the Jambo villas, and the Kidani 1 BR have 2 full bathrooms and the 2BR have 3 full bathrooms. The BLT (monorail resort) 1 and 2 BR also have the extra bathrooms.

I'd also look carefully at the floor plans and plot out the sleeping arrangements - who will sleep on the sofa bed (and chair bed at Kidani or BLT)? A 1BR will have 1 king bed in the main bedroom and a queen size sofa bed in the living room; a 2BR will be a 1BR with an attached studio, which will have a queen bed, a queen sofa bed and sometimes a bunk size Murphy bed (depending on resort) along with a kitchenette and its own door to the resort hallway. In a dedicated 2BR, the studio will have 2 queen beds, no kitchenette and no separate door.

Many here who have experience with multigeneration/multifamily trips also recommend that each family have their own space, even if just a studio, rather than trying to put everyone together. Sometimes having a 1BR or 2BR plus several studios allows for a central gathering space as well as kitchen and laundry but also allows each family to have a little privacy.

Edited to add - I'm stymied by the "things to do" other than parks. All the resorts will have nice swimming pools. Kidani has a community center room with activities, but I think that's mostly geared towards kids.

For MK resorts, I'd look at BLT for proximity to MK as well as lower cost. For Epcot area, BCV - or maybe Riviera if budget allows, due to easier access to dining in the building as opposed to outside and down the walkway. I do love AKV but prefer Kidani for the reasons I outlined above. Guests staying at Kidani have access to both Jambo and Kidani pools, and a free shuttle runs continuously between them, making it easy to access pools and dining.

Last edited:
Old Key West has the largest rooms. like the post above, I would carefully look at sleeping arrangements and use those to govern your choices.

Monorail resort for the older folks who might not want much walking IMO. They will have access to 3 resorts to go out to eat, check out some small shops and just look around. Monorail exit to the end of Main Street is not a bad walk at all. All other parks mean a lot more walking just to get in. Maybe BC into the back of Epcot is a walk that could be managed also.

BCV - close to Boardwalk, Epcot and HS (best parks for 14+ imo)

VGF - monorail, close to MK, restaurants, shops, golf across the street

AKV - savannah, top dining

I would've said BWV but you said you don't like it. If you're doing a split stay I might do AKV, otherwise I wouldn't.

Kidani - offers an extra full bathroom in the 1BR units and up

BLT - offers an extra full bathroom in 1BR units and up; on monorail; walk to MK

OKW - not my favorite, but rooms are bigger; can hop on bus to get to Hospitality House if you want

As far as the older folks go, Disney is lots of walking everywhere. Have they considered getting a scooter? There's not much for adults to do unless they want to resort hop or do other activities (spa, archery, etc.). DS is an option, but that's a lot of walking too.

As stated above, definitely check out room layouts. As much as I love Copper Creek, the rooms are smaller and certain rooms give you more bathrooms. If you want to be in the same place but have options for parks/things to do, then I would do something near the Boardwalk area/Skyliner. (BCV, Riviera) OR monorail.

AKL is great for views/community room/dining, but you will need a bus for any park and some people do not like that at all.

Copper Creek is lovely and we enjoy the boat ride to MK, which also gets you access to monorail. However, as I said, the rooms are smaller.

Many here who have experience with multigeneration/multifamily trips also recommend that each family have their own space, even if just a studio, rather than trying to put everyone together. Sometimes having a 1BR or 2BR plus several studios allows for a central gathering space as well as kitchen and laundry but also allows each family to have a little privacy.
The other thing to consider for big group trips is who pays what when things go South. Just statistically, the more people who travel the more likely it is that someone will back out - for understandable reasons (illness) or bad ones (I thought "the kids have a soccer tournament" to be a bad reason.) When one person makes the arrangements - whether with their own points or with a rental, its easy for that one person to be left holding the bag on an extra room. DVC - in the best of circumstances - can be difficult to cancel around.

We've had traveling companions back out due to pregnancy, cancer and death

Are you an owner booking with your own points or having points transferred in, or are you renting, or paying cash through Disney? That might affect your ability to book 2-3 villas in the same resort for the same time. The time of year you want to book will also affect availability.

If you're considering AKV, the Kidani villas are larger than the Jambo villas, and the Kidani 1 BR have 2 full bathrooms and the 2BR have 3 full bathrooms. The BLT (monorail resort) 1 and 2 BR also have the extra bathrooms.

I'd also look carefully at the floor plans and plot out the sleeping arrangements - who will sleep on the sofa bed (and chair bed at Kidani or BLT)? A 1BR will have 1 king bed in the main bedroom and a queen size sofa bed in the living room; a 2BR will be a 1BR with an attached studio, which will have a queen bed, a queen sofa bed and sometimes a bunk size Murphy bed (depending on resort) along with a kitchenette and its own door to the resort hallway. In a dedicated 2BR, the studio will have 2 queen beds, no kitchenette and no separate door.

Edited to add - I'm stymied by the "things to do" other than parks. All the resorts will have nice swimming pools. Kidani has a community center room with activities, but I think that's mostly geared towards kids.

For MK resorts, I'd look at BLT for proximity to MK as well as lower cost. For Epcot area, BCV - or maybe Riviera if budget allows, due to easier access to dining in the building as opposed to outside and down the walkway. I do love AKV but prefer Kidani for the reasons I outlined above. Guests staying at Kidani have access to both Jambo and Kidani pools, and a free shuttle runs continuously between them, making it easy to access pools and dining.
Thanks for all of this...
We own but will have to get more points...As far as other things to do, the olders may shop at DS for a day, or have some pool time ( but not for long stretches), and we will try to do some meals together ( that aren't in parks). They may golf one day...Just trying to think of things so they won't just be at the resort day after day waiting for others to return from parks. We are hoping they have as much fun as the rest of us!

BCV - close to Boardwalk, Epcot and HS (best parks for 14+ imo)

VGF - monorail, close to MK, restaurants, shops, golf across the street

AKV - savannah, top dining

I would've said BWV but you said you don't like it. If you're doing a split stay I might do AKV, otherwise I wouldn't.
Thank you! We may do a split stay....We've never golfed at WDW and the olders might like that- I had no idea where the courses are!

Kidani - offers an extra full bathroom in the 1BR units and up

BLT - offers an extra full bathroom in 1BR units and up; on monorail; walk to MK

OKW - not my favorite, but rooms are bigger; can hop on bus to get to Hospitality House if you want

As far as the older folks go, Disney is lots of walking everywhere. Have they considered getting a scooter? There's not much for adults to do unless they want to resort hop or do other activities (spa, archery, etc.). DS is an option, but that's a lot of walking too.
At this time, the scooter idea is not being well-received :)
There's not a lot of interest in most parks/rides....Wondering which parks may be best for olders, now thinking I should explore that further to maybe encourgae them to consider that for a day or two...
Thank you!

The other thing to consider for big group trips is who pays what when things go South. Just statistically, the more people who travel the more likely it is that someone will back out - for understandable reasons (illness) or bad ones (I thought "the kids have a soccer tournament" to be a bad reason.) When one person makes the arrangements - whether with their own points or with a rental, its easy for that one person to be left holding the bag on an extra room. DVC - in the best of circumstances - can be difficult to cancel around.

We've had traveling companions back out due to pregnancy, cancer and death
Oh jeez! Something to think about I guess :(

We own but will have to get more points...
Where do you own?

What time of year are you planning on going?

Since you mentioned wanting to get 2-3 units, your available choices might be limited.

the dates you pick will also tell you what you can get.

If you want 2 resorts with things to do, my picks would be BCV and BWV. Do all 14 people not like BWV or just you?

There's not a lot of interest in most parks/rides....Wondering which parks may be best for olders, now thinking I should explore that further to maybe encourgae them to consider that for a day or two...
Thank you!
I think Epcot is the best for older people. There are several gentle attractions (Living with the Land, etc.), and the countries are fun to explore. It is a lot of walking though. All of the park are.

Thank you!
Do not give up on the scooter idea. It took us awhile to get some 'elders' to give in to the idea by having them ALL use the scooters. They thanked us many times over after the trip for pushing that idea, as they got to do so much more and be part of so many things with the family. Why go to WDW with the extended family and have to miss out because you don't want to ride in a scooter for a few days? Keep trying! It makes really good sense! I also need to remind myself of this conversation for the future when I'll be against the idea for me!!

Is it really hard to do this if renting points? We're looking to do something similar.

Is it really hard to do this if renting points? We're looking to do something similar.
It can be, depending on which resort and what time of year — DVC owners can find it challenging to do it for themselves! If booking more than one villa, it’s possible you’ll be working with more than one owner, especially if working with an agency as opposed to directly with an owner (such as from the DISboards DVC Rent/Trade board).

We own but will have to get more points...As far as other things to do, the olders may shop at DS for a day, or have some pool time ( but not for long stretches), and we will try to do some meals together ( that aren't in parks). They may golf one day...Just trying to think of things so they won't just be at the resort day after day waiting for others to return from parks. We are hoping they have as much fun as the rest of us!
My personal takeaway: I would look long and hard at Saratoga Springs, maybe in the Congress Park area if you want to splurge on Preferred View points.

The rooms are all newly renovated. There are two feature pools and three leisure pools, a golf course, quick service and table service dining, bicycle rentals, community hall, pool games, etc. Disney Springs is walking distance with dozens of shops and other places to eat.

It may not have the "wow" factor of BoardWalk area or grand Floridian to a frequent guest, but I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed in a balcony view of Disney Springs from CP. It's also one of the cheapest DVC locations.

Personally, I would not even consider asking 18 people to commit to the hassles of a split stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter