• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would like to do 1 character meal but top choices not available- any advice on where to check next?

2019TripIdeas

Mouseketeer
We'd love to do one character meal but booked our trip way after the 180 day window. My kids are adventurous eaters- ages 2, 3, 5 (so the chicken nugget/mickey waffle etc not necessary) and are not big "Princess" fans. They do love characters in general though, particularly non-face characters.

Our top choices were for sure the Storybook dining at Wilderness Lodge, Be Our Guest (though I'm having trouble figuring out when this is a character meal?) or Tusker House for breakfast and none of those are available in times that work for us. I know this is totally not surprising given our timeline and we knew that dining would be one place we'd "sacrifice" since we booked a late trip so it's not a huge deal.

Does anyone else have another suggestion for a character meal that would have some interesting food and not be princess-focused? If we can't find anything, I'm thinking we'll put the $ we would've spent on character dining toward Hoop Dee Doo Review (they'd love this too, I think). We've booked Biergarten already, as I know they'll enjoy the interactive element there.

Thoughts on our top choices coming available (I know storybook dining is prob not a shot)? Is it even a possibility to show up without a reservation for character dining and get in within an hour or so? We're going last week of January, party of 5. We're staying at Boardwalk, so any meals walkable from over there would be particularly great.

Be Our Guest isn't a character meal per se, you can meet the Beast when you are done eating when you are leaving. If interested in seeing the castle, breakfast and lunch are quick service and much cheaper. You do have to have an ADR though. You aren't going to get in without an ADR to any character meal, wouldn't even attempt it. You likely will be able to get any of those as your trip approaches, 30 and 60 days out are times when people start to drop reservations and firm up plans. Setting up a reservation finder on touring plans is also a good idea(it's free and will text you when the system finds an ADR that meets your specifications).

We'd love to do one character meal but booked our trip way after the 180 day window. My kids are adventurous eaters- ages 2, 3, 5 (so the chicken nugget/mickey waffle etc not necessary) and are not big "Princess" fans. They do love characters in general though, particularly non-face characters.

Our top choices were for sure the Storybook dining at Wilderness Lodge, Be Our Guest (though I'm having trouble figuring out when this is a character meal?) or Tusker House for breakfast and none of those are available in times that work for us. I know this is totally not surprising given our timeline and we knew that dining would be one place we'd "sacrifice" since we booked a late trip so it's not a huge deal.

Does anyone else have another suggestion for a character meal that would have some interesting food and not be princess-focused? If we can't find anything, I'm thinking we'll put the $ we would've spent on character dining toward Hoop Dee Doo Review (they'd love this too, I think). We've booked Biergarten already, as I know they'll enjoy the interactive element there.

Thoughts on our top choices coming available (I know storybook dining is prob not a shot)? Is it even a possibility to show up without a reservation for character dining and get in within an hour or so? We're going last week of January, party of 5. We're staying at Boardwalk, so any meals walkable from over there would be particularly great.
Be our guest is only a character meal at dinner. Only the Beast is there. I would check for other characters the kids would like and at the same time keep checking back for the meals you really want. I made several changes within the past month and my trip is in November

Does anyone else have another suggestion for a character meal that would have some interesting food and not be princess-focused?

Not necessarily interesting food, but Garden Grill at EP for breakfast is YUMMY and has Chip n Dale. It is served family-style, so you don't get up to get your own food.

Ohana breakfast at the Poly is the same, family-style and has Lilo and Stitch.

Cape May breakfast is not princessy and is a traditional buffet.

Would your family be interested in a character breakfast? Crystal Palace serves all 3 meals with the Poo and Gang. There is also the Cape May Buffet breakfast at Yatch Club with Minnie Mickey and Goofy

We love Crystal Palace. Last time we went it was a 20 min wait without ADR. If you can’t get anything, find your way to Fort Wilderness for the Chip n Dale Sing Along and roast a marshmallow.

Well this sounds super helpful- had no idea that existed. Thank you!
Definitely do it! I recently found Storybook for January with the help of Touring Plans just last week. We didn't know we were going until last month. From past experience, this is one hard reservation to get, but Touring Plans helped last time too. I've still not done it since I got sick during our last trip, so DH said last month we could have a do-over. He and the kids had a blast there, none of them mind going back :)

Since you're at the Boardwalk, and even though it has princesses (along with Flynn Ryder and Prince Eric), the breakfast at Trattoria al Forno was a lot of fun. Even my adult son enjoyed it!

We really enjoy Chrystal Palace. It's a buffet for all three meals,so a little something for everyone. Not super adventurous but pretty reliable food. Winnie the Pooh and friends are the characters. I know you said your kids aren't into the princesses, but the food at Akershus is really good. They have a schmorgus board at lunch and dinner as an appetizer. They call it the "Taste of Norway" and has Scandinavian foods. This where my addiction to lingonberry jam began.

From Kenny the Pirate:
https://www.kennythepirate.com/dining/disney-world-character-meal-list/
Cape May is hosted by Goofy at breakfast....opposite side of Boardwalk at Yacht & Beach.

Garden Grove has some character meals....in Swan hotel behind Boardwalk.
https://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/gardengrove/index.html

P.S. The Beast is only available during dinner at Be Our Guest (and may be too much for your young children anyway).

Set up an alert with one of the free Reservation Finder websites. I have had very good luck in getting very difficult dining reservations by using it.

Another vote for Cape May Cafe! Had breakfast (11:00am) in September and the food was great and the character interaction was wonderful! They spent a ton of time at our table and the characters interact with each other in fun ways too. We were in and out in less than an hour but were not rushed at all even though the restaurant was closing. We were staying at Boardwalk and it was very convenient but would be an easy walk from EPCOT too. The characters in September were Minnie, Goofy, Donald, and Daisy. We will definitely be going back and hate that we’ve just now tried it.

Garden Grill and Tusker House are also favorites. We find a 10:30 breakfast perfect for our young kids as we can rope drop and then take a break to fill up and it serves as two meals for us.

I suggest Chef Mickeys at the contemporary resort. It’s so much fun - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto! If you don’t see a reservation now, keep checking. They always pop up. I’ve never planned a trip more than 2-3 months in advance but always get reservations to restaurants we want by checking back again and again. Things really open up in the days and weeks before our trips.

If you don’t want to keep checking, get the touring plans app. They will search for you and text you when something comes up.

You’ll definitely find something!:)

I love garden grill. We’ve had some great character interaction here. Breakfast is my favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter