Would construction noise sway you from DLH to PP?

WishUponAStar3

Believer In Big Dreams!
We're planning a one-night stay at Disneyland Hotel for OBB on a Thursday in Sept, and since we plan to spend time at the pool, Trader Sam's, etc before the party and again on Friday before driving home, it would definitely be a bummer if construction noise was really loud and bothersome while we're trying to enjoy the hotel. At the same time, because of my 4-year-old's age and how much we prefer the classic Disney magic of DLH to the GCH theming, I didn't feel like it really makes sense to spend a significant amount more $$ just to avoid construction noise... so I'm wondering if it's noticeable enough that we should switch to Paradise Pier? Any chance someone here has stayed at DLH during the week and can weigh in? I've also never stayed at PP, so I'd be grateful for thoughts on how it compares to DL and GCH too. Thank you soo much!!

From the reports I have read from people staying at DLH, it sounds like the construction noise isn’t an issue. We are staying at DLH for OBB in October. It’s our favorite hotel.

The noise might not be an issue NOW while they are largely doing site prep work. But they are literally putting up another tower. Eventually, it's going to be LOUD.

I am going in Sept and the construction noise was one reason we picked GCH. I would not switch to PPH though. The reports out of there since its reopening have been meh at best. There is no food option onsite in PPH and much of what is in the lobby is closed. Also if you like DLH because of the great pool, you should look at online photos and videos of PPH pool. It is much smaller and the adjacent roof top bar is also closed.

The noise might not be an issue NOW while they are largely doing site prep work. But they are literally putting up another tower. Eventually, it's going to be LOUD.

Hmm, that makes sense. Any ideas when the prep work ends and the louder construction begins? (And thanks!!)

I am going in Sept and the construction noise was one reason we picked GCH. I would not switch to PPH though. The reports out of there since its reopening have been meh at best. There is no food option onsite in PPH and much of what is in the lobby is closed. Also if you like DLH because of the great pool, you should look at online photos and videos of PPH pool. It is much smaller and the adjacent roof top bar is also closed.

Thank you so much, good to know about PP- sounds like we definitely would not be happy there with no onsite food and a smaller pool. So it's between DLH and GCH, but oof I hate to spend the extra $$ on GCH when we prefer the vibe at DLH. I guess I'll have to keep checking on how the construction noise is in the weeks to come before we head there on the 9th?

From what Disney states on their website the construction doesn’t start until 9am. No info on how long into night it goes. Noise would be a concern if you wanted to take a break in your room, but if you’re at the park all day you probably wouldn’t notice it.

I’d take my chances with DLH. I agree that the cost of GCH is crazy. And DLH just seems more Disneyish.

I'm staying at DLH right now and have spent several hours at the pool every day since Saturday. I have not heard any construction noise at all and wouldn't even know there is nearby construction happening if I hadn't read about it here. IMO it is a nonissue.

I'm staying at DLH right now and have spent several hours at the pool every day since Saturday. I have not heard any construction noise at all and wouldn't even know there is nearby construction happening if I hadn't read about it here. IMO it is a nonissue.

Oh YAY! This makes me happy to hear, thank you!! Especially since we plan to spend a lot of time at the pool. 😊

Honestly if you are thinking of switching just go to GCH , Paradise Pier is one disney property I have no interest in staying in. It was never a Disney original hotel, it was overlayed after it was purchased by Disney years ago. In no way is it worth the upchqrge though the views of DCA are the only highlights imo.

Honestly if you are thinking of switching just go to GCH , Paradise Pier is one disney property I have no interest in staying in. It was never a Disney original hotel, it was overlayed after it was purchased by Disney years ago. In no way is it worth the upchqrge though the views of DCA are the only highlights imo.
^^^This. Paradise Pier is literally an old La Quinta they slapped Mickey onto. Now that they have zero food or amenities (or early admission) you'd be better off in a good neighbor hotel. My Disney TA says no one that they have booked into PP has ever had glowing things to say about it when they get back.

^^^This. Paradise Pier is literally an old La Quinta they slapped Mickey onto. Now that they have zero food or amenities (or early admission) you'd be better off in a good neighbor hotel. My Disney TA says no one that they have booked into PP has ever had glowing things to say about it when they get back.

Oh wow, good to know! So glad I held onto my DLH reservation!! I think unless I hear reports of the construction noise being loud or bothersome at the pool, we'll keep it rather than upgrading to GCH- even though I know it's technically a nicer resort, it just doesn't feel as much like an upgrade for us when we prefer the classic Disney tropical theming of DLH!

I think you'll be happy with DLH , the last thing any hotel wants is to interrupt their guest stays any more than necessary.
I do love it there , so much but now as I'm getting older I prefer the shorter distance and easy access to DCA too.

That's the great thing about the different resorts is what makes value and worth to one person or family isn't necessarily interchangeable. Have a wonderful stay :)

I think you'll be happy with DLH , the last thing any hotel wants is to interrupt their guest stays any more than necessary.
I do love it there , so much but now as I'm getting older I prefer the shorter distance and easy access to DCA too.

That's the great thing about the different resorts is what makes value and worth to one person or family isn't necessarily interchangeable. Have a wonderful stay :)

So true!! I actually preferred GCH when it was just me and my now-hubby, but now that we have a little one, we find DLH to be the most magical. One of the things I love about Disney is how they cater to different preferences!

Just came back from 4 nights at DLH and never bothered by construction noise. We stayed in the Frontier tower so I was a bit nervous but it was a non issue. We saw the walls and equipment and could hear some noise when we entered/exited the building but not from the room or by the pool. I suppose the work they are doing could get louder but no problem so far.

I will say that the pool was very crowded with essentially no available seats so hopefully they are adding more capacity for that along with the new tower or it will overwhelm the current facilities.

No, it's not LITERALLY an old La Quinta. It's not even figuratively an old La Quinta. In fact, in terms of quality of construction it's every bit the equal to the DLH (which many folks seem to forget was ALSO not owned by Disney for a good long time). I agree that the lack of F&B right now is very poor form by Disney, but your Disney TA seems to be projecting their own biases onto the guests they book for (otherwise no one would ever stay at the PPH). And they did much more than "slap Mickey onto it"--the beachside theming here is more comprehensive and well-executed than the barely surface-level "Disneyland" theming of the DLH.

My family finds the PPH so superior to the DLH that we will literally (and yes, I actually mean "literally") never stay at the DLH again as long as rooms are available at the PPH, no matter the price differential or construction noise status. DLH, to us, is the "emperor has no clothes" hotel at Disneyland. Take away the Mickey-shaped faucet handles and the light-up headboards (that inexplicably play a really weird, Twilight Zone-esque, out-of-tune version of WYWUAS), and you could be in any run-of-the-mill suburban Hilton anywhere in the world. The pool grounds are attractive, but the pools themselves are small and unimpressive. The restaurants are fun (much better when Steakhouse 55 was still open), but you don't have to be a guest there to enjoy those. And the weird part is that we've had the worst CM interactions at the DLH that we've had anywhere on property, while the CMs at the PPH are among the friendliest and most cheerful.

Please do not stay at PPH . It’s a dump . The rooms are so old and smell terrible. The pool is small and boring. We would never stay there again and we stayed prepandemic when everything was open. Not worth your money .

Just came back from 4 nights at DLH and never bothered by construction noise. We stayed in the Frontier tower so I was a bit nervous but it was a non issue. We saw the walls and equipment and could hear some noise when we entered/exited the building but not from the room or by the pool. I suppose the work they are doing could get louder but no problem so far.

I will say that the pool was very crowded with essentially no available seats so hopefully they are adding more capacity for that along with the new tower or it will overwhelm the current facilities.

Ohh, good to know, thank you! How feasible was it to social distance in the pool? I wonder if I should look into reserving a cabana for seating...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter