Worth watching

However, one section that could really use more support are the National Guard since they tend to be more scattered around the civilian community and if you know of a family where one or the other of the family near you is serving overseas is to try and befriend that family to help out those especially with small ones.

That is such a good idea! I don't know how it is in the Guard, but if someone wants to help Reservists' families they can look up the phone number in the phone book and ask for the person in charge of the Family Readiness Group. They can let you know who needs what, I'm sure there's a similar group in the NG.

I would just like to reinforce that the Guard and Reserve, while working for the same army, are two different organizations. I know that no one intentionally left out the reserves when they were discussing the Guard, but as a retired reserve officer, I would like to point out that the Reserves are also playing a vital role in the war on terror and provide personnel on extended deployments, too.

In December, 2004 I returned from my deployment. It was snowing, my snow blower was broken, and I was beat from long plane rides and 3 days of redeployment briefings. My neighbor two houses down came up with his snow blower and began clearing my sidewalk. My immediate next door neighbor, whom we had considered our very close friend, came out and said something to him which made him stop and turn around and go home. Needless to say, we haven't spoken since. The reason - our "friends" were "born again" and did not support the war. Since I had been deployed, I was part of it and judgement was passed.

Regardless of individual feelings about this war, there are many men and women leaving jobs and families to serve both stateside and overseas. Many of them have the same misgivings about the whole situation as the general public, but they have a greater sense of obligation and serve their country willingly. In my 27 years, I met the most wonderful and dedicated people in the Army. I had the honor to command a lot of them over the last several years of my career. Prior to that, I was privileged to serve as a mobilization officer, offering business and career counseling, family counseling, financial planning, and any other services necessary to prepare soldiers and their families for the hardship of deployment. I have served through far too many wars and limited conflicts. I have been shot at, slept in holes in the ground, survived tropical rainy seasons, and suffered through a variety of diseases and infections I wouldn't care to think about. I have lived in swamps, jungles, deserts, and mountains. I have had both people and animals try to kill me for no other reason than the fact that I was there. Yet despite all this, I served with individuals who managed to find humor in their situation, locate food where there shouldn't have been any, somehow get a TV, DVD player and movies out to the middle of nowhere, share everything they had with anyone, and somehow maintain their morality and sense of compassion. I have seen soldiers transform almost immediately from methodical killers when on patrols to the sensitive fathers they are when they are comforting a strange child with a scraped knee. Now, as a VA employee, I am seeing the true cost of deployment; the physical and mental toll this war and previous ones have taken on human beings. These are scars that we will be treating for many years to come.

Sorry for the tirade. On to other things.

I would just like to reinforce that the Guard and Reserve, while working for the same army, are two different organizations. I know that no one intentionally left out the reserves when they were discussing the Guard, but as a retired reserve officer, I would like to point out that the Reserves are also playing a vital role in the war on terror and provide personnel on extended deployments, too.

The only thing I'd like to add here is that Guard units generally get deployed as a unit so they go with people who they know and have trained with for years. In many cases Reserve soldiers are deployed in dribs and drabs and in some ways have a harder go of it than NG troops. It's not fun for anyone, but it's better to go with people you know. The other thing that's hard is the pace of deployments. A unit I once commanded is now on their THIRD deployment (will be in January). They were at WTC and West Point in 2001/2002, Iraq in 2004/2005 and will be in A-stan in January. The ops tempo is ridiculous! These guys are worn out and there's no end in sight. The 42ID (M), a NG infantry division, was the FIRST Guard division to be deployed since WWII. I used to joke that the division wouldn't be activated until Soviet bombers were over the North Pole. Boy was I ever wrong

Just a short story. A good friend of mine was KIA during Iraqi Freedom in 2003 and I have a metal bracelet I wear with his name on it. Someone noticed the other day (I don't always wear it) and asked where she could get a neat bracelet like that. When I showed her what it was she bawled like a baby. Me too.

Rambling is contagious I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter