Worth It For 3 Nights?

Kimberly9701

DIS Veteran
I booked the Disney Dining Plan from my son and I..now I'm thinking about cancelling. I did purchase it last time as well, but that was for 8 nights and we had A LOT of character meals (paid out of pocket for 3 more).
This trip I'm planning on the following restaurants-

Breakfast preferred, but maybe dinner which would change credits- BOG
Breakfast- Chef Mickey's (did not do last time)
Breakfast- Ohana
Dinner- Whispering Canyon
Dinner- California Grill
Dinner- Fantasmic Dinner Package at Hollywood & Vine

We are doing 2 MK days and 1 HS day- may hop over to epcot for a few hours but undecided on that.

Given that California Grill and the dinner package would not be part of the dining plan anyway, do you think I am better cancelling the plan and paying out of pocket?

People on plan- Myself and my (will be) 6 year old

You have a possible 7 credits (BoG dinner) and with the regular DDP, you only get 3. Is there time and desire to add in two more meals to put you at the Deluxe Plan available credits of 9?

Cali Grill and the F! pkg can be paid for with the plan. Cali Grill just isn't a good value since it needs 2 credits. However, unless things have changed the H&V pkg is still just one credit, so you'll want to use your plan for that one for sure. Doing that one, Chef Mickey and Ohana, your 6 yr old's plan is "paid for" and is even saving you about $11 over the cost. So all their QS and snacks are "free." Your 3 meals are $60 less than the plan will cost, but you should be able to spend that easily with 3 QS and 3 snacks. So you will save some money with just the regular DDP.

I would do some more math to see if the deluxe plan makes sense for you. With the DxDDP, your 6 yr old can even order off the adult menu if they so choose.

You have a possible 7 credits (BoG dinner) and with the regular DDP, you only get 3. Is there time and desire to add in two more meals to put you at the Deluxe Plan available credits of 9?

Cali Grill and the F! pkg can be paid for with the plan. Cali Grill just isn't a good value since it needs 2 credits. However, unless things have changed the H&V pkg is still just one credit, so you'll want to use your plan for that one for sure. Doing that one, Chef Mickey and Ohana, your 6 yr old's plan is "paid for" and is even saving you about $11 over the cost. So all their QS and snacks are "free." Your 3 meals are $60 less than the plan will cost, but you should be able to spend that easily with 3 QS and 3 snacks. So you will save some money with just the regular DDP.

I would do some more math to see if the deluxe plan makes sense for you. With the DxDDP, your 6 yr old can even order off the adult menu if they so choose.
I paid out of pocket for the H&V Fantasmic package last time bc I thought it was not included. If it is then that would be great!
I did not realize that a child could order off an adult menu with the deluxe plan. I wish I would have know that for our 8 nights in September. At quite a few restaurants, quick service and table, I ordered off the adult menu for him. I think it's horrible to get a shawarma platter while my son has to eat a hot dog..same with sushi..etc.
On this trip we will not be doing any dinner shows, and after so many meals on our cruise I don't see us utilizing table service 3 times per day.
That being said, I will look at the price difference bc of the potential adult menus.
Thanks!

Deluxe plan is a bit more of a better value for CA Grill because it includes appetizer, which includes sushi, and because the credits are valued more like $35 each... with sushi it is very easy to get well above $70 on california grill... spicy kazan roll $26, pork two ways (not even the most expensive thing) $39, desserts are $13 or so and you're at over $80 with soft drink. if your kid likes sushi too you will come out way ahead.

Also H&V Fantasmic package is a fantastic 1 credit deal, I have it in my plan as around $92 with tax for one adult and one child (traveling solo with my 8 year old). I think with all the character meals (even the breakfasts) you'd come out ahead if you do BoG dinner and maybe add CP breakfast or something if you want pre park instead of BoG.

We have the quick serve plan for three nights. I looked at different menus to guesstimate how much we would spend OOP vs the dining plan and I think we will break even or better with the plan. Haven't gone yet, but that's how I made our decision.

I would definitely do the math on the deluxe plan. Keep in mind, because the credits are pooled, you can use the credits for your meal at California Grill and pay for your son OOP. Then the deluxe plan would allow you to cover all of the meals you have listed, including the Fantasmic Package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter