Worst Things About Animal Kingdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all of the previous posters re: exposure to the elements. Hot days feel hotter, cold days are colder and rainy days are wetter.

Plus, for visitors who are relying on Disney transportation, you’re on the bus.

To me, the backstory to the carni area of Dinoland is irrelevant. Walt also loved to smoke, so should we have "Smokingland" in Animal Kingdom now? I know, that's a stretch, but my point is... just because Walt loved something doesn't mean it belongs in the parks.

Dan
what is the backstory of Dinoland - like others, I never have figured out how it fit in Disney

There's not much I dislike about Animal Kingdom, but I'll submit a few minor quibbles:
  • I wish it opened earlier so you'd have a better chance of seeing the animals on the trails awake and about before the day gets hot.
  • It is indeed hot.
  • I wish we'd gotten the land devoted to mythical creatures that had been proposed back in its inception; I think that would have been really cool. Pandora has won me over, but a land of dragons and that sort of thing would have had more inherent interest for me.
  • The parade being gone is kind of a bummer.

I'm with you Brian. I don't get all the animosity. Especially from folks who know the backstory. Imagineers never intended for it to have a "Disney" theme. That's like saying why didn't they give Pandora a Disney theme? The section offers one major ride, a couple of kid rides, a couple eating spots, a gift shop, and a play area for kids to run around in. Restaurantosaurus has a pretty decent menu and is one of the few QS places that has a topping station and free drink refills. Quite honestly it's very comfortable in there and plenty of things to look at inside. We like Dinoland too!

DinoLand USA

It's kind of funny to me and kind of sad to read all the hate for Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama. A photo of one of the big, goofy dinosaurs holding up the sign at the entrance to the carnival area has been my phone wallpaper for...shoot, over a year now, since I took it on my January 2018 trip. I remember taking a picture at the entrance of Dino-Rama and just being so happy to be in WDW.

For me, even before I knew how the backstory linked up, I always loved the Dino-Rama. I love it because it's the flip side of the coin represented by the Dino Institute. Dinosaurs are, culturally speaking, this great scientific mystery we've slowly been solving for centuries--but they're also these nearly mythical creatures that have found their way into popular culture. They're monsters, dragons, children's cartoons, art, entertainment. I've always gotten a lot of joy out of roadside dinosaur statues wherever they crop up (there are a surprising number of them throughout America; there's something about dinosaurs that just speaks to us). Exiting the more serious Dino Institute area and finding yourself in the Dino-Rama always made me think about the dichotomy of the different concepts and meanings we assign to dinosaurs, and I always took it to be an exploration of how we relate to dinosaurs both as real animals and as a cultural concept.

That being said, I could take or leave the games. Not sure what else they'd put there, though, since taking out the games wouldn't really make room for another attraction.

what is the backstory of Dinoland - like others, I never have figured out how it fit in Disney

The wiki link in the post I quoted from @Bullseye has an explanation of the backstory. I never caught it until it was explained to me, tbh.

We love AK and visit at least 2 or 3 days each trip. The worst thing about the park to us is the layout. Took me several trips to figure out where I was going and during after hours we got turned around several times. The carnival games are not very appealing to me either. I think it cheapens the feel of the park and the overall idea of being at WDW.

Only Dinosaur, Flight of Passage, and It’s Tough to be a Bug have partially indoor queues. All of the other queues are outside which can be very uncomfortable during the summer.

Like almost everyone else law said, the heat and humidity is oppressive like nowhere else in WDW.

Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids are poor imitations of Indiana Jones and Grizzly River at Disneyland.

Personal and likely unpopular opinion, but the animals don’t really do it for me. If I want to see animals, I’ll go to a zoo... And don’t get me started on the artificial bumps along the safari ride..

However it is all redeemed with Expedition Everest, possibly my favourite ride in the World.

Too little for adults
Too little for littles
It's always too for someone for something.
Just a funny observation as I read all the best and worst posts about the parks. It always works out that someones best is another's worst.

You're right that its all very subjective. I think with Animal Kingdom, there is a lack of rides in general. So of the rides they do have, some perceive it to be not enough for kids, while people like DH and I (with no kids) perceive it to be not enough to keep us busy for a full day, or to warrant a second day at the park.

After reading this thread I've decided to embrace the heat and humidity as an intentional feature of AK... maybe it's a mindset thing. :P

Please remember this thread’s topic is: “Worst Things About AK.”

Prior to Friday’s show/Podcast, Craig, Ryno, and others will be reading through this thread to get the “worst” of AK. Please remain on topic as there are almost 200 replies in this thread.

Please remember this thread’s topic is: “Worst Things About AK.”

Prior to Friday’s show/Podcast, Craig, Ryno, and others will be reading through this thread to get the “worst” of AK. Please remain on topic as there are almost 200 replies in this thread.
So sure, I second the motion that Dinoland is the worst thing about AK. Also the mention that it's hard to get around. In particular, if you have to go from Flight of Passage to Dinosaur, you can't follow the orange line below, you have to use the red line:
upload_2019-4-24_9-46-0.png

The Heat, and for us not being huge thrill ride fans, we found it hard to choose fast passes. The last time we went was before Pandora, though.

Another poster touched on my #1, it's the entrance. Seems more congested than other parks, and once your inside you can go to the left of the trees to see more trees, or to the right of some trees to see more trees. Traffic flow could be better with a direct path to/from dinoland.

The lack of an exciting night show-although I've seen an update is coming.

Maybe another ride or 2 as opposed to "attractions".

The bird show is abysmal.

A walking path from AKL to the park.

That's it-not much to complain about. It's our favorite overall park.
There are animals to look at on both sides I believe at the entrance to the park, I know there are birds.

I love Animal Kingdom so its hard for me to find something I don't like, but Rivers of Light is truly a terrible show. I know they are re-opening Rafikis, but closing it was a BAD decision, so I'm happy they are re-opening :).

Last edited:
I absolutely love Animal Kingdom and part of the magic is how sprawling it feels since this allows for immersion. However, walking from one end of the park to the other is not an easy task since the park is so large, especially when those walks are in the sun in the middle of August.

The humidity
The missing parade
Dinoland in general
Needs another indoor lounge

Disco Yeti...I actually rode this ride during a soft open and when the Yeti worked it was amazing and terrifying!
Lack of air-conditioned places to take a break in.
While there's only 6 rides at HS, for a park not under construction 8 rides (2 of which you need to wait hours to go on) doesn't seem like enough. The rides are great though and Animal Kingdom truly is an awesome place, just wish there was more to go on during our days there.

For us it’s: Dinoland, lack of rides, and shows hold little rewatch ability.

I've already mentioned Dinoland, but you touch on something I completely agree with. Lack of repeat factor. For us, it's not just limited to the shows, but also rides, which basically means the whole park in general. The first time you visit, Lion King and Nemo may be some of the best, if not THE best, shows on property. All of the rides are very fun the first time as well.

However, the shows grow old and the rides do as well because most are B level IMO (with exception of EE, FOP, and maybe Safari). It's been kinda sad to watch it go from our #2 to #4 park over the years.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter