• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst part of your job

Meetings. Most are unnecessary and keep employee from getting their work done.
I'm retired now but I agree that there were too many meetings. What you said about pre-meetings and post meetings is all too familiar to me.

The worst part of my job was terminating employees. Fortunately it wasn't a common occurrence, but it was a dreadful task to perform.

Trying to do my work and answer a busy phone at the same time. I never missed a deadline but it was stressful. I haven't worked for many years, but I still so not like answering the phone.

Corporate drama and backstabbing in a Fortune 100 company. Everyone out for themselves, plotting for their next promotion.

I agree, maybe it is like that is all large companies. Lots of great people to work with but a percentage of them only care about themselves, how to push work off on co-workers and when they get their next promotion. The constant musical chairs at the top levels of the company is the main cause since your next boss probably has NO idea what your department/group does and doesn't care to learn if they are simply biding their time until the next round of promotions.

Too many useless meetings held mostly by those who never want to make a decision and then can say it was a 'group decision' particularly if the topic is controversial. The leader just wants to distance him/herself from what was decided. Some have the idea that climbing the corporate ladder means you can never say 'no' to anything and always appear to agree with everyone.

Weekly staff meetings also a HUGE waste of time. Time spent preparing and then listening to others make presentations is useless. In the age of laptop PC's, many people where I work take their PC to the meeting and just continue doing their work while tuning out the boring presentations. If the boss needs to have a discussion with one other person, they don't need to tie up everyone else in the group.

Last edited:
Every time we have a thread like this I'm left thanking the Lord for the company I work at. There's next to none of the operational, organizational and/or interpersonal problems that many of you deal with. :flower3:

I've also got a pretty stellar team to manage right now, although that has varied a bit over the years. Overall, the only bad thing about the job is well, the job itself. We handle warranty/customer service and it's just a tough, tough role. The workloads are heavy, the performance standards are very high and the unreasonable expectations of about 5% of the customers are simply unreachable. Sadly, that small portion of the customers and their often abominable behaviour is what that defines our success and our day-to-day job satisfaction. :(

Those darn TPS reports and the fact that I have 7 different bosses.

(Sorry couldn’t resist)

In actuality it’s got to be micromanagement. But that comes with government employ. Even being in a supervisor role I still have those over me that constantly watch, question, and bicker about every move made.

Company making people clean a gas station with white glove testing. And the second I learned to stay away from people in meetings or what they considered fun as HR was always got called. so I learned to keep to myself and never had to lie to HR about hearing things.

talking to people all day. (I'm a CSR), Kidding. Mostly. Actually, the part I dislike the most, but have mostly gotten used to in the past few years is that our phone system tracks every second of our work day. we have to use certain codes for ANY and all time we are off the phone, and account for that (bathroom breaks, etc,) and there is NO time allowed between calls. the next one drops in w/in about 5 seconds, so pretty non stop, and no time at all allowed off the phones, except a few mins at days' beginning and end to logon/logoff, 2 breaks, and a lunch hrs, 1 hour/week for a meeting, and 1 hour a week for research time to catch up on any changes. So I'm being tracked all during the workday, and every minute must be documented.

Dealing with the public. My job is only about 1% in a customer service type role, and the other 99% of the time I am allowed to focus on my actual work. But that 1% is the worst part of my job and makes me hate my job. People are ridiculous and have a lot of pent up anger / self esteem / entitlement issues that they like to take out on a stranger on the phone.

Dealing with the public. My job is only about 1% in a customer service type role, and the other 99% of the time I am allowed to focus on my actual work. But that 1% is the worst part of my job and makes me hate my job. People are ridiculous and have a lot of pent up anger / self esteem / entitlement issues that they like to take out on a stranger on the phone.
That would be third on my list. TV stations are people's last hope when nobody can help them. This year has been tough with so many people needing help with unemployment problems. The Unemployment department is nearly impossible for people to contact. They don't realize when they call us for help that the unemployment department is just as impossible for us to contact.

I get kicked and hit a lot. I have so many bruises that DH won’t go anywhere with me it I am wearing shorts. I coach gymnastics and when they are learning new skills, they fall and I catch them.

In my previous job: Office politics, backstabbing and cultural clashes between us and the French office.
I started my new job 2 weeks ago, have to report back on 'worsts' for this one.

Having to deal with boxmaking machines going awry. Because of the build variations of the box meshes, the machine keeps on needing adjustments to be made, and even with that, there's still frequent box jams.

I am retired from being a physical therapist, the last 20 years in home care. The worst part was showing up for a scheduled appointment and having the patient not be home. If I didn't see them, I didn't get paid no matter how far I drove to get there.
My DH too- it really did stink!!

Meetings. Most are unnecessary and keep employee from getting their work done.
My current employer lives for meetings. And in 15 years we have had several turnovers of managers but the meeting culture continues.
The quarterly department head meeting is now the weekly department head meeting.
Our daily planning meeting now has a "pre-meeting" meeting right before with managers, and a "post-meeting" meeting about 3 hours later.

A close second, too many managers. 40 years ago we had two managers overseeing 80 employees. Now we have 8. They spend way too much time asking employees why they are doing something. The answer all too often is....."because another manager told me to"

there are about 12 managers where I work. They have meetings every week.But no one communicates. It’s amazing, really

Getting up early and before Covid was traffic. Sometimes too many meetings which can get exhausting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter