• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst movie ever?

There are so many but the first one that always pops in my head is Into the Storm. I love disaster movies even though they are often not good movies. There was no major actor attached to this movie so I thought I was extra prepared....nope. It was terrible. It relied solely on special effects with no thought to characters so it ended up being a ridiculous stream of CGI tornados and people I could not care less about trying to stay alive. I owed my DH big time after dragging him to that one. ha!

Funny Farm
This is a favorite of mine.

One of the worst I’ve seen in the theater, and not by choice (I was outnumbered on a double date with a couple I didn’t know) was Boogie Nights. Horrible. Couldn’t leave that theater fast enough.

Dead Ringers (1988)
My mom picked this out to watch from Blockbusters (remember that...lol). I literally remember telling her, “What the h*ll are we watching?!”
OMG- I had forgotten about this one! Jeremy Irons plays twin gynecologists, truly bizarre...

A Christmas Story. Released before Thanksgiving 1983, it did so poorly it was pulled from all but 100 theaters BEFORE Christmas 1983.
In 1997 TNT was looking for a cheap film to run a marathon of over Christmas. They picked A Christmas Story. It went from box office bomb, to cult classic, much like The Rocky Horror Picture Show. In both cases I think abuse of alcohol or other mind altering substances may have played a role in that.
The film was no blockbuster by any means but it did something a ton of films haven't. Actually made money. It was always designed as a low budget movie and it succeeded at what it was designed to be. The film took in 6.5 times its production budget at the box office. It's average run was 6.5 weeks per theater. As for Turner, they were already showing it prior to their marathon and chose it because it was already popular.

I know Kubrick is legendary, I just don't like the majority of his movies. I understand why people like them though. I guess I prefer fluff.
2001 a space idiocy. I didn't nominate it because it just wasn't quite bad enough. But it is one of the few movies that ever put me to sleep. Once you get past the special effects and the impenetrable fog of faux-artistry. what you have is boredom and tedium. Ok I must admit that a GF of mine and I at the time had big fun acting like Hal to each other one summer during a water fight. Have a water balloon... Dave. You're hosed.... Dave. But other than that, uggh.

A Christmas Story. Released before Thanksgiving 1983, it did so poorly it was pulled from all but 100 theaters BEFORE Christmas 1983.
In 1997 TNT was looking for a cheap film to run a marathon of over Christmas. They picked A Christmas Story. It went from box office bomb, to cult classic, much like The Rocky Horror Picture Show. In both cases I think abuse of alcohol or other mind altering substances may have played a role in that.
No mind altering substances involved, but I’ve seen both those movies more times than I can count.

Even though I love Adam Sandler, his movies Uncut Gems and Little Nicky are just awful - I couldn't finish them:sad2:

This is a favorite of mine.

One of the worst I’ve seen in the theater, and not by choice (I was outnumbered on a double date with a couple I didn’t know) was Boogie Nights. Horrible. Couldn’t leave that theater fast enough.

Maybe I was just having a bad day, but

I don't remember it being much about a farm, or funny so in title it failed for me twice. I remember we saw and decided to skip second half and drink in Chinese restaurant next door so maybe it got better.

The film was no blockbuster by any means but it did something a ton of films haven't. Actually made money. It was always designed as a low budget movie and it succeeded at what it was designed to be. The film took in 6.5 times its production budget at the box office. It's average run was 6.5 weeks per theater. As for Turner, they were already showing it prior to their marathon and chose it because it was already popular.
You are forgetting distribution costs. 6.5 times its production cost is pathetic. https://www.pajiba.com/seriously_ra...the-20-most-profitable-movies-of-all-time.php

That movie annoys me to no end. My in-laws love it and I'm forced to watch it every year. Barf.

That movie annoys me to no end. My in-laws love it and I'm forced to watch it every year. Barf.
I did watch it once 16 years ago because we had an influx of new employees who were always quoting the movie at work. I had never heard of a leg lamp, or a Red Ryder BB Gun. Now I had a BB gun as a kid, as did all my friends, but none of us had a Red Ryder.

I can’t believe I’m writing this because I love Tom Hanks, but I thought Joe Versus the Volcano was just awful. Another one I hated was The Mexican with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts. I actually fell asleep during that one.

I grew up on it. My dad's side of the family loves it. We would watch it every holiday. I ended up playing cards or watching whatever game was on tv to get out of it.

I see at least one poster agrees with me... Blair Witch. Pure torture. We sat through the whole thing because we though it was going somewhere.... Ugh

Mosquito Coast and Out of Africa do earn a very honorable mention.

Never understood the appeal of A Christmas Story.
Oh, I like it because it's such a glimpse into a typical little boy's mind -- the way he imagines he'd save his family from villains if only he owned that Red Rider BB gun.
No "Shark Week"fans? I'd say Ghost Shark is something special.
That clip was funny.

Another I just remembered: The Lobster.
Seriously, the stupidest movie ever. My daughter has a subscription to Shudder, a little-known horror movie channel, and she talked me into watching it. The idea is that single people are forced to go to a hotel, where they interact with other singles. They have something like 30 days to find a solemate and marry; if they fail, they are turned into animals. They are punished for various misdeeds by ridiculous things like having their hands put into waffle irons. The actors behave as if they're all drugged /show no emotion. We think it was supposed to be "edgy" or "artsy", but it was just plain weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter