Worst advice you got

Hoopfamily

We're just 3 Caballeros trying to find our way.
What is the worst advice you ever got or overheard someone get for a Disney trip? Mine has to be when a TA told me it would be a waste of money to buy books like The Unofficial Guide because they don't help.

My DSIL once told me you could see the Castle from the hotel that sits across from DTD. She had lived in Jacksonville, FL for a while and you would think, to hear her talk, she was an expert on WDW, lol. I knew that wasn't right, but she's the sort that you just nod and agree with and go on.

Pack 47,000 things in your park bag just in case you need them. You must be prepared. Extra shoes, band-aids, every kind of medicine you can think of, bottles of water, crystal light, socks, ponchos, baggies, toothbrushes, kitchen sinks, and a dishwasher. Ok, so that's hyperbole, but you catch my drift. After the first evening, we carried what we "needed" in our pockets and never carried the bag again. STEP AWAY FROM THE BAG!!

Before our first trip, I did a lot of research here on DIS, and other places as well. Prevailing thought seemed to be you absolutely HAD to have park hoppers or you'd never see everything you wanted. If you weren't hopping, you were wasting your time. No way could you stick to one park a day. So I bought them. Never used them! Wasted over $200 for our family. We've never bought them since and have done just fine on all five trips! I know this is personal preference. There's no one right answer--but it certainly seemed that way at the time!

Most of the advice we got for our first trip was great and I wish DW would have listened to a couple things. I guess the worst advice we got was it is too far to drive to WDW from Baton Rouge. Our first trip we flew which was fine. Because DW spent so much money on that trip I told her I would make all the plans for our trip to Universal. We drove and guess and it was very doable. We saved a ton of money and have been to WDW more than 15 times since....

Another vote for Park Hoppers. We purchased them our first several trips and never used them. The last several we did not have them and never missed them. This trip we're doing one day each in each of the four parks plus one day in the middle at a water park.

Martin

Pack 47,000 things in your park bag just in case you need them. You must be prepared. Extra shoes, band-aids, every kind of medicine you can think of, bottles of water, crystal light, socks, ponchos, baggies, toothbrushes, kitchen sinks, and a dishwasher. Ok, so that's hyperbole, but you catch my drift. After the first evening, we carried what we "needed" in our pockets and never carried the bag again. STEP AWAY FROM THE BAG!!

That's the "Mary Poppins' bag approach" of park touring!!! :) Don't forget your coat/hat rack! You'll want that to hang your hat during RNRC!

We sat on the bus with one other family going back to AoA for an afternoon break. The dad was kind of grumpy and mentioned not doing the dining plan if they return because he was tired of eating at the resort every day.
Apparently their TA told them their free QS dining plan was only good at their resort! We quickly set them straight, but I wish we would have met them earlier. It was day 4 of a 7 day trip. :(

Eat at Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar. I heard so many great things about it. It has a menu as good as Tutto Italia, it's so relaxed, and it's great value for a lounge.

We spent nearly $100 for a few slices of so-so cured meat, a couple of pieces of cheese, wine, and tiny bread sticks. On top of that our waiter was inattentive and when we he did happen to show himself he was pushy.

I'd rather eat chips in La Cava del Tequila and deal with the crowd than repeat that disaster again.

Definitely a personal preference here

Go to the park with EMH and enjoy a full day. After a few times, this dog doesn't follow the pack on that one anymore. Rather go to a less crowded park at regular operating hours and sleep a little more and enjoy a breakfast. (please note that my opinion is only for EMH am hours)

That the best character interaction is at character meals; otherwise, you will waste all your time in hot lines to meet characters. I mean, I will still probably plan some, but we had WAY better character interaction with A&E FP+, Epcot character spot FP+, Jake (short line at DHS), Sofia (short line at DHS) then we had at any of our meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter