Worried about taking advantage of the system

I have this feeling too, but our son's OT strongly recommended that we get this in advance, so we at least have it if it turns out we need it. But once we have it, nothing says we have to use it if we feel we're getting by okay without it. Disney is too expensive of a trip to spend the whole day missing out on rides because you realize your kid with SPD is unable to tolerate any lines longer than five minutes.

I'm also excited by this stroller tag. (Does it still exist?) Our son can be a bit of a runner, and the ability to secure him to a stroller up until the front of the line, if we need to, is enticing.

I have this feeling too, but our son's OT strongly recommended that we get this in advance, so we at least have it if it turns out we need it. But once we have it, nothing says we have to use it if we feel we're getting by okay without it. Disney is too expensive of a trip to spend the whole day missing out on rides because you realize your kid with SPD is unable to tolerate any lines longer than five minutes.

I'm also excited by this stroller tag. (Does it still exist?) Our son can be a bit of a runner, and the ability to secure him to a stroller up until the front of the line, if we need to, is enticing.

Yes, the stroller tag still exists.

However, be aware that even with the DAS, you could be in line for 20-30 minutes. It's not an instant access pass. You will be sent through the lightning lane, which can be LONG. Or you will be sent through the exit, and potentially be made to wait several minutes in a line to board.

Just wanted to be sure you know this.

However, be aware that even with the DAS, you could be in line for 20-30 minutes. It's not an instant access pass. You will be sent through the lightning lane, which can be LONG. Or you will be sent through the exit, and potentially be made to wait several minutes in a line to board.

Thanks! This is good to know. I think both the sensory kids in our party are capable of waiting a few minutes. 30 might be a different story. Is it common to have to wait 30 minutes in line even with DAS?

ETA: If so, it is what it is... we'll just see how we do. Just trying to gauge what to expect.

Thanks! This is good to know. I think both the sensory kids in our party are capable of waiting a few minutes. 30 might be a different story. Is it common to have to wait 30 minutes in line even with DAS?

It's been quite common since Genie+. It is mostly an issue when a ride has broken down previously and then when it comes back up, the LL gets flooded with all the people who were supposed to come back while it was down. Also, when a ride goes down, everyone holding a LL return time while it is actively down gets their LL converted to a "Magical Experience" pass and they can usually use it to ride anything else, so if a popular ride goes down, a lot of people might show up at OTHER rides.

I would say you can expect an average wait time of 10 minutes. Some will be shorter, some longer. The longest LL line we have waited in with a DAS was 37 minutes. We were at DCA last weekend and had a return time for Incredicoaster and the LL line was being quoted as "45 to 60 minutes." We ate dinner and came back later. My son could not do a line that long.

That's the good thing about DAS, you can come back when the line is shorter if you happen upon a massive LL line.

That's the good thing about DAS, you can come back when the line is shorter if you happen upon a massive LL line.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. You don't have to come back within an hour, right? You can just let that selection sit until it's a good time, but you can't choose another return time until you tap in for that one, right?

Thanks for all this great info :)

Oh yeah! I forgot about that. You don't have to come back within an hour, right? You can just let that selection sit until it's a good time, but you can't choose another return time until you tap in for that one, right?

Correct. It's an "anytime after XX:XX" Not tied to a specific hour window.

The Magical Experience thing also applies to DAS return times. If your return time has come up and the ride is down, you can do these things:

1. You can immediately make another return time for another ride.

2. You can hold onto the "Magical Experience" pass and wait until the original ride comes back up

OR

3. You can use the Magical Experience pass immediately on any ride listed as included.

This is the only way you can technically hold 2 DAS returns at the same time.

Not sure how they handle it at every attraction, but stroller/wheelchair access might take even longer to get on a ride vehicle. We had a long wait at BTMRR, for example, with me using DAS and a friend with a knee scooter. There were a few other attractions (like Splash) where we had to also wait a bit longer.

Not sure how they handle it at every attraction, but stroller/wheelchair access might take even longer to get on a ride vehicle. We had a long wait at BTMRR, for example, with me using DAS and a friend with a knee scooter. There were a few other attractions (like Splash) where we had to also wait a bit longer.
I wonder if this is true if there are no mobility issues? Or, rather... our toddler's mobility issue is that, due to developmental delays, he is not likely to stay with us. We use the stroller more as a security measure when we're somewhere it wouldn't be safe for him to get loose. He's heavy, so we can't carry him the whole line, but we could ditch the stroller at the end of the line and hold him a couple of minutes.

Here is the thing. If you are unsure if you need DAS, try and go without it and see how it goes. If things go badly, then you have a good story to tell the CM at Guest Relations who asks you what the difficulties with waiting in line look like.

On our first trip to WDW, we didn't get a DAS. Within 2 hours of arriving at MK, and having to exit 2 lines, with my 5 year old son laid out, melting down literally in the middle of the walkway in Fantasyland, I decided enough was enough. We were given a DAS (I guess it was technically the GAC back then) and enjoyed the rest of our trip.

Even then, the DAS is not some magic bullet. We have still had to make a quick exit on several occasions when the day is just not going well.
We tried a trip once without DAS for our son. It was hell. Even with DAS we rarely last more than a few hours at a time at any given park, Epcot being the exception because he enjoys walking around trying all the food. I also think because Epcot just overall seems less physically crowded. I know our trips with him are different than what other families experience and even different from our trips without him. I learned along time ago to not feel guilty and just feel gratitude that he can get a Disney experience, even if it's different than others.

I wonder if this is true if there are no mobility issues? Or, rather... our toddler's mobility issue is that, due to developmental delays, he is not likely to stay with us. We use the stroller more as a security measure when we're somewhere it wouldn't be safe for him to get loose. He's heavy, so we can't carry him the whole line, but we could ditch the stroller at the end of the line and hold him a couple of minutes.

It's treated the same way. You will have to wait in the part of the line where the wheelchairs go because they will have to board you from the other side where they will leave your stroller for when you get off. They won't let you cut in front of all the other wheelchair users.

Oftentimes the LL also include stairs, which you will not be able to do with the stroller. So you should count on being sent through the exit on those.

Have you considered a harness for your son? We used a plush puppy backpack leash when our son was that age. He also was prone to wandering off. It worked like a charm. You can use it only in lines if you want.

Have you considered a harness for your son? We used a plush puppy backpack leash when our son was that age. He also was prone to wandering off. It worked like a charm. You can use it only in lines if you want.
We have tried the backpack ones but they don't work well with him. We were going to try the wrist ones next.

WDW has very few attractions where guests are sent thru the exit. There are a couple at Magic Kingdom and at EPCO, there is Spaceship Earth.
Disneyland has more because of the age of the park.

If you preregistered for DAS by video chat and got 2 DAS Advance Selections for each park day, those do have a 1 hour window for use.
DAS Return Times that you get in the park on the day of visit are active until they are used, cancelled or that attraction/park closes for the day

You would be able to use the stroller to the point of boarding.
If the attraction unloads in a different place than it loads, the Cast Members will move the stroller to the exit. That would require you to be in the same line with guests using wheelchairs.
If some of them are waiting for a specific wheelchair vehicle at the boarding area, you may be boarded in a regular vehicle while those who need the accessible vehicle are still waiting.

At WDW, there are a few attractions with stairs in the line; some give wheelchair Return times, which are completely separate from DAS Return Times. Others (Dinosaur and Toy Story Mania) have a bypass for the stairs in the line

Yes, it would likely be true for anyone using the accessible entrance at a few attractions (though Splash will be closed). These attractions are not fully-accessible through the main standby or LL queues due to stairs or other obstacles, therefore to bring any mobility device through the queue there is an alternate entrance. It can get backed-up at times. If possible, you might consider carrying him through these queues instead of using stroller through the alternative entrances. It was years ago now but my family had a ridiculously long wait at Splash Mountain the first time we used the stroller -- never did that again at that attraction. It's because they can only allow a few guests/devices into the unload area (where those with mobility devices unload) at a time.

We absolutely 100% of the time use DAS return times. The first day of our trip last year I was thinking they were doing great, La-dee-dah, maybe we didn’t need it this time. Then the meltdowns hit on the way to the hotel. SPD seems to be cumulative for my kids. 😂 We truly couldn’t go to the parks without DAS. As it is, we’re limited to about 6 hours in 2 spurts with a big break in between.

As Disney puts on their website:
  • DAS is intended for Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability.
So if you meet both of those qualifications and are issued a DAS after you apply for it then I don’t think you have to worry about it.
Due to a non mobility disability. If you have a mobility disability you must use the regular queues which lately have been excessively long. Additionally, persons with a mobility disability cannot eat, shop, use the restroom or simply rest while they wait in line for their turn. Driving a scooter or pushing/riding in a wheelchair can be exhausting for a someone who doesn’t use one in real life, resulting in a shorter time they are able to stay in the parks.

How do I know if we REALLY need DAS? We have been to WDW several times with our family and have never used it. Although, we didn’t really know about it.

I am considering asking for one for my oldest daughter. She gets overwhelmed very easily. Sensory issues, like noise, lights, and crowds. But even having to make decisions or plans changing upset her. I do the ink having a DAS would be beneficial to her. But she COULD and has done WDW without it.

FWIW, probably several of us qualify. I have Crohn’s and one year at WDW I was in a horrible flare. DAS would have been a lifesaver. I also have a child with ADHD who has a lot of sensory issues as well. He could probably use one and a few years ago it would have made a big difference for him. The fact that several of us could most likely get a pass makes me feel a bit less guilty.

I really do think my DD (and others of us) qualifies. But I can’t shake this guilt that I’m taking advantage of the system. We have done WDW without it. However it would certainly make our trip much less stressful and overwhelming. I guess my question is how to know whether our difficult is “enough?”
When I was in college, I used to hang out at the Committee for Disabled Students. We had some students who resisted getting things like elevator passes because they didn't feel they'd need it. The Committee used to advise that they get it & can then not use it if they don't feel they need to. For example, they might have been walking to class with able-bodied friends & didn't want to leave the group to take the elevator up 2 flights of stairs if it wasn't necessary that day.

Once they had the various passes & authorizations, they could choose to use them on days it was necessary & not on the other days. No one would force them, "Hey -- you have canes so you'd better get on the elevator!" So, if your daughter is fine, great. When she needs to get out of the stimulation, the option is there for her. I always disliked the accessible seating at WDW & preferred general seating, for example, but there were a few times when my mom just needed to get to the accessible areas & stop.

Also ask yourself: What exactly are you taking advantage of? You are waiting for a ride like everyone else... you just need to do it somewhere else for the benefit of your family member and often the other people in line. You are just trying to have your family member have the same chance to enjoy Disney as others.. of course everyone gets tired and needs to take a rest, or needs to plan their day so they don't get overwhelmed or make sure they don't get too much sun...it's not a magic fix-all but to level the playing field.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter