Worried about renting an ECV

anonymousegirl

DIS Veteran
I have never rented or used one before, and my need arises from my asthma, weight and stamina.
I am worried about two issues:
1) I am already dreading the stares and remarks I am sure to garner, and
2) I am pertified of driving one of these things onto the bus!

I am going solo and walk all the time here at home, but all the walking at Disneyworld really tires me out and I find I am not enjoying myself as much as I used to, especially in Epcot and AK.

I have thought about renting one from the park (see worry number 2). I really should walk some over the week I am there (visualizes a Wall-E type scenario if I don't).

I know that off-site rents are cheaper but I worry that I will be too self-conscious to use the thing and it just sits in my hotel room. So I thought I might try renting one for Epcot.

I guess I just need some opinions. :confused3

Yes renting off site would be cheaper. If buses are a big worry for you, then if you can get to the parks early enough to rent on, then maybe Disney's are the way to go.

I suggest you go to local stores that have ECV's to use (i.e. Walmart, grocery stores), and practice using them. Learn how to back them up, practice paralell parking, and just the general feel of how they work and turn. If you can do these things with these carts, the ones at Disney will be much easier.

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

3. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

4. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

5. Will using a ECV make for a better vacation for you? Absolutely YES!

I think there are more stares and such with the ECVs in the bus lines at the resorts. You stand out more there. Doing the ECV on and off the bus is my least favorite part of an ECV. You will blend in better with all the folks that use ECVs in the parks; so, since you can walk some this is what I would do; rent at the parks. It won't be fun getting a scooter in and out of your room by yourself, either. Renting from the park protects you better in case of breakdowns, too. Also, you don't have to deal with charging one up each night. The Disney scooters are bigger and provide more room than most travel style scooters you get from outside sources.

Sometimes, I don't take the ECV into every ride. I will park it close by outside the attractions; so, I can do some walking. Again, the ride queues can lead to more stares. When you are on the move through the parks you are going fast enough that not too many will notice you. Since, you walk some you can decide how you want to handle this part.

You have the option to get the scooter at the parks as much or as little as you want through the trip. If you can manage some days at some parks that will cut down on the expense.

The first time is the hardest; because, you don't know what to expect. This is why it may be easier to rent at the parks and pay more, but not do as much with getting the ECV on and off the buses, into your room and doing battery charging each day.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I was thinking about just using it to get from here to there, not using it in queues, shops, or restaurants. When I think about walking around World Showcase my heart just sinks a little. I could do it, but it just isn't enjoyable. I guess I am worried that I am being lazy and that I don't really need an ECV.

I am in a weight program now and seeing doctors and I have to walk 30 mins a day. I know I'll be getting my required walking in and then some even if I rent the ECV!

I guess I just don't want to be the old fat lady in the scooter:guilty:

You know, you're the first person to put some of my fears into words! Not to hijack your thread, but your last sentence got to me. (Had to register to comment here. I've been lurking for a while.) That's my fear, too. To be the fat person in a scooter that everyone assumes is just too lazy to walk.

I hear it all the time, even from people I consider to be tolerant people. "That's what's wrong with America. You know, you go to the grocery store and there are a dozen fat people riding around on scooters to get groceries because they're too lazy to get up and do it. Maybe if they walked they wouldn't be so fat!"

It keeps me from riding a scooter in the store even when I need it. I have Psoriatic Arthritis (auto-immune disease) and am recovering from surgery for a Cervical Spinal Cord Compression. Some days, I can hardly get to work and back. But I know when people see me, they see a young person who's overweight (laying in bed 6 months with a compressed spinal cord will do that to you!) riding a scooter and assume I'm lazy.

Even if I wasn't embarrassed, I feel like I'd be embarrassing the other people in my party, that they'll have to put up with the stares and comments on my behalf.

They've pretty much convinced me that there's no way I can do the parks walking, and I've been pretty much considering a regular wheelchair. But the more I read, the more I realize that may not cut it (I can't do a lot with my upper body due to some precariously-placed bone fragments in my neck). They've said they'll push the chair, but I know the parks are going to take enough of a physical toll on them.

I know I'll never see those people again, but I also know it'll eat away at me the whole time I'm there.

Why is being overweight the only thing it's still acceptable to be intolerant of? How bad have the stares and comments truly been, from those of you that have done this?

I have a personal scooter that I have used for over 5 years. I had a leg amputated, and have bad arteries, many artery bypass surgeries and heart stents. My problems are "invisible" to other people, but the scooter allows me to get out in the world. Otherwise, I would be homebound. Maybe because I cannot do without my scooter, I don't feel self-conscious using it at Disney. I have been there many times with my scooter, and I like to take the Disney bus. I have read things on this board about staring and nasty comments, but honestly, at Disney I have never noticed people stare at me or say something bad. I do remember many people who have gone out of their way to be deferential and extra-helpful to me, just because they think I might need a little extra helping hand. I always try to keep a big smile on my face, especially to strangers, and that helps set the tone for my encounters with them.

If renting a scooter is the only way you can cope with the many miles of Disney walkways, do it, and don't worry about other people. After the first time you get on the bus with your scooter, you will be an old pro. Trust me on this. It is really a cinch. Good luck! :)

I was worried to rent a scooter as well, but then I just realized that I don't care what anyone else thinks. It will allow me to enjoy my vacation and not be a burden to my family. I was so worried about people thinking I was just lazy too. If I wear my knee brace on the outside of my pants than you can tell that I have an injury. If not, then I just look like a lazy 30 something!!! DH said to me that hr would rather people stare than risk a further injury or causing me paintbrush is supposed to be the happiest place on earth!!!

So I say..... Ride your scooter with your head held high! You need it and no one has the right to judge!

I think you should rent one at the park, maybe Epcot and try it out. You may find that you are enjoying yourself so much with the scooter that you don't care one bit about what anyone else thinks...

My mom and aunt had to rent scooters when they went with us. Actually, I made them rent scooters. They had the same objections and by day two they were continually thanking me for forcing them to rent the scooter. They are twins and I called them Scooter Twins all week. They really did enjoy them. We were at Old Key West and we all used the scooters to run back and forth from the food court. They were fab.

I say rent for one day at the parks and depending upon how long you are staying you might still be able to get a scooter delivered for the remainder of the trip if you want it.

I was 21 when I went to DL and I have a bad knee (I fell face first off of an 8ft platform, my ankle and knee hitting the stairs in the college theatre causing Tendinitis and it's never been the same since) and I have problems walking for long distances or extended periods of time. My knee injury is 'invisible' and I'm slightly 'fluffy'.... There are days (more often than not) I have trouble getting around Walmart or Safeway without the ECV carts. I mean, yes I *can* do it if there's no carts available, but it hurts my knee. I knew if I had trouble walking around Walmart after 30 minutes or so, DL would be killer if I didn't have that ECV. I don't have a knee brace (the pain is in the muscles not the joint) and I really debated with myself about this same thing... I was 21, a young kid, did I really *need* an ECV or was I just getting one because my parents were... and my mom asked me to be honest with myself and if I thought I could do DL without an ECV, and the idea of walking all over the park was making my knee hurt just thinking about it! So I decided to rent the ECV and I didn't give a flying rat's behind what anybody thought of me. *I* knew I needed it and I didn't have any problems with people staring or judging or making comments...

The next time I go to WDW, you can be sure I'll be renting an ECV since WDW is even bigger than DL. Granted with DL there was no bus needed since our hotel was across the street from DL but I wouldn't have a problem with getting on the bus with one at WDW...

I'd suggest renting from off-site because A) it's cheaper and B) you don't have to switch ECV's every time you change Kingdoms (Epcot scooters stay in Epcot, MK scooters stay in MK, etc) so the convenience of having an off-site rental scooter that you can ride all over is nice bonus.

My wife had to have her knee operated right before we went to NOJ at WDW in Sept 10 and we decided to use the wheel chair from the resorts instead of the ECV. Big mistake.
We met a number of solo guests in ecv's and non had issues. Made me realize that I should have rented 1 for her to give her the freedom she deserved.
The only 1 with issues was me pushing her around in the heat and high humidity.
Rent 1 from off site they are cheaper and in better shape

the offsite ECVs are also generally a bit smaller and easier to maneuver. The bus drivers are wonderful at helping you navigate into the bus.

Rent offsite and don't worry about it--where are you staying? Remember the resorts can present a lot of walking issues too.

Wonderful thread! Just over a week ago I found out I'll be going back to WDW in April. This will be my first trip with my nephews. Since my last trip in Jan '10 my hip has started bothering me much more and I've actually developed scoliosis. Both of these create more back pain. Today I found someone who will give me a great deal on 2 scooters, one for me and one for my mom. That seemed to be what I needed to push me to decide to get one. My family thinks I should get one. But I have the same fears as you all have stated here.

I think I am afraid people will think I'm just fat and lazy. I may be but I'm also in a whole lot of pain every day. Being in an ECV will be a huge help. That will allow me to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without tons of pain.

It is nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with the worries. HUGS to you all.

My wife had to have her knee operated right before we went to NOJ at WDW in Sept 10 and we decided to use the wheel chair from the resorts instead of the ECV. Big mistake.
We met a number of solo guests in ecv's and non had issues. Made me realize that I should have rented 1 for her to give her the freedom she deserved.
The only 1 with issues was me pushing her around in the heat and high humidity.
Rent 1 from off site they are cheaper and in better shape

The last time we were at WDW (I think I was 15) we rented a wheelchair for my mom because it was cheaper than renting an ECV from Disney and OMG! We [me & my dad] regretted it majorly because to push her up and down all those hills, in that heat and humidity... omg! Won't do that again! :rotfl: ECV's are much better!

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

3. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

4. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

5. Will using a ECV make for a better vacation for you? Absolutely YES!

As always, Chesire Figment gets right to the heart of the matter. People love to stare and pass judgement on strangers. Its really none of our business what they think--their thoughts are their own. They don't have to be yours. The fact is, if you need it you need it. It doesn't matter what a bunch of strangers think, people who don't know anything about you. My husband felt just like you the first time he used an ECV. I had actually reserved it(off-site) for myself as I had only gotten out of my broken-ankle cast about a week before arrival. But in that one week period, DH was admitted to the hospital with heart trouble. He didn't want to ruin the vacation and we talked to the doctor. Mr. Doctor wasn't thrilled,but we assured him that DH would use the ECV.

Like you, DH thought he wouldn't use it all that much. I had to force him to get on the monorail with it! But we were about 1/3 the way down Main Street when he turned to me and said, "Thank you. I could never have done this on my own." We still had to take it majorly easy, but the ECV made it possible for us to take a very important family vacation. Did people stare? I'm sure they did. We happen to also have a very mentally handicapped child who acts different, drools and wears diapers. We're used to stares.:rolleyes1 Did people think were were abusing the privilege by switching off riders periodically? Maybe. My ankle was the size of a paint can; I had to get off it once in a while. I don't really care what a bunch of strangers think. All I know is that the ECV saved the vaca. I will certainly rent one again.

I just got back from a solo trip with a scooter. Only one person made a rude comment and I just ignored it. You need to do what is best for you--the other people aren't living in your body!

My attitude is generally:

Pooh on everyone else and do what you need!

As long as you remain within the rules and regulations, there is no reason you need to care what anyone else thinks! (By rules and regulations, I mean you wait in the apporpriate line, etc).

I used to only use my wheelchair part time, and I am sure that a few people thought I was faking it just for the attention, or because they thought I skipped lines, etc.

I generally ignore people, and for those I cannot ignore, I come up with snarky remarks which do not break any rules or such but which make me feel better. For example, if people ask rudely "What is wrong with you?" I tell them I was injured in the AFC title game last week. (I am a 5'1" 100 lbs woman!). I also tell them nothing is wrong at all, and look at them like they are crazy.

My favorite: I tell them that "Nothing has been the same since the alien abduction!"

I may suggest that you transfer in theatres if you are particularly concerned, rather than use a wheelchair spot if you have the option. Please do not hurt yourself to do this, but a few people have reported feeling more comfortable not using a wheelchair spot for theatres with good seats like Philharmagic and Muppets.

Remember this:

There is a difference between surviving Disney and enjoying it!

I slipped on my stairs and sprained my ankle and foot terribly. I have reserved a scooter but I am honestly hoping I won't need it. Which is crazy b/c I leave in 17 days and can't walk without my giant aircast on at all. With it on I can't go very far.

I feel like you do, and I am pretty small person. I feel like people will stare at me and think I am lazy. I have no issue with any person of any size using a scooter. Do what you need to do to be happy. But I undertsand how you feel.

I am mostly worried I'll accidentally run someone over. Or that I'll run someone over not so accidentally. :)

Get the scooter and have a fabulous trip. I'll most likely be on mine for some portion of my trip (especially Epcot and Animal Kingdom...so big and the hills at AK!).

I am mostly worried I'll accidentally run someone over. Or that I'll run someone over not so accidentally. :)
At the DHS Gate, where I am temporarily working, I tell anyone is a wheelchair or ECV that racing is prohibited in the park. If they ask about accidentally running into someone, I do tell them just make sure it is not a Cast Member.

My attitude is generally:

Pooh on everyone else and do what you need!

As long as you remain within the rules and regulations, there is no reason you need to care what anyone else thinks! (By rules and regulations, I mean you wait in the apporpriate line, etc).

I used to only use my wheelchair part time, and I am sure that a few people thought I was faking it just for the attention, or because they thought I skipped lines, etc.

I generally ignore people, and for those I cannot ignore, I come up with snarky remarks which do not break any rules or such but which make me feel better. For example, if people ask rudely "What is wrong with you?" I tell them I was injured in the AFC title game last week. (I am a 5'1" 100 lbs woman!). I also tell them nothing is wrong at all, and look at them like they are crazy.

My favorite: I tell them that "Nothing has been the same since the alien abduction!"

I may suggest that you transfer in theatres if you are particularly concerned, rather than use a wheelchair spot if you have the option. Please do not hurt yourself to do this, but a few people have reported feeling more comfortable not using a wheelchair spot for theatres with good seats like Philharmagic and Muppets.

Remember this:

There is a difference between surviving Disney and enjoying it!

:lmao::rotfl2::laughing:

I love it! Thank you so very much for brightening my day. We are taking my mom who is just getting older and has a bad knee. She has agreed to use a scooter and she knows she needs it.

It is obvious when she walks with her limp how bad her knee is but it will be nice to have some cute zingers for the stares and questions. The alien abductions....love it:upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter