• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Working To Find My Happy Heart...Switched From BW to POFQ. Advice?

Little E

DIS Veteran
I had originally booked a week long stay at The Boardwalk for June of 2017 for my DH, two DSs, and me. We have never stayed there before, and we were really looking forward to experiencing a deluxe hotel that is within walking distance to both EP and HS.

My DH and I unexpectedly decided to take a long weekend, no kid trip during F & W this November (I can't wait...it's a little over two weeks away...whoo hoo!) and this, in addition to an unexpected dead AC unit in our home, has made our vacation budget pretty darned tight. Because I was stressed about staying at such an expensive resort, I switched our stay next summer to POFQ, as it was about $1400 cheaper. We have never stayed here, and I've read great things about POFQ, so I'm trying to be excited about this new resort. But, part of me is just a little bummed about not being able to stay at the BW. Of course, I remind myself that this is truly a first world problem. After all, we will be at WDW, and our trip will be magical!

However, it would be awesome if Dis folks could reassure me that POFQ will be a great experience for our family next summer. While I've read the Dis threads for the resort, I'd love specifics from folks who love this resort. Any advice, tips, or special features about POFQ you have would be wonderful.

Thank you so much!

First off congrats on the weekend away. We are big time POFQ fans. Since you are going next year the food court updates will be done.
Staying at POFQ you can use the pools at POR plus it is a reasonable walk to eat there at the TS or QS. The boats to Disney Springs are a great way to get there over buses. Before 4:30 the boat is shared with POR but after each has their own. Other than AK the rides to the parks aren't long. Buses only shared with POR on our 2 last trips during mid-day or very early AM (6:30ish). Most of the MK buses are seperate from POR

This past June we did a split between AKL, POFQ & BW. BW was our least favorite. We would only ever stay there again because you could walk to Epcot. That was the only draw for us.

POFQ was awesome - small, easy to get around and the people working there were very warm and friendly. My youngest (4 at the time) LOVED the splash pad. The beds are smaller and the bedding isn't as nice, but if you are going for the parks, that shouldn't be an issue. The buses were great too.

Have fun!

POFQ is one of my favorite resorts. NOt favorite moderate....favorite resorts. It is so compact and quaint. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and the boat transportation is convenient.

I feel at "home" there. It is lovely, with beautiful views of the river. IN the evening the clip clop of hooves resonate on the "Streets" as the carriages go by. Mornings are pretty, all the sidewalks freshly washed and damp, little bunnies peeking out from the bushes as you head out for morning coffee.

It is a very pretty resort. You and your husband will enjoy it. How old are your kids? Pool is great for younger. POR is great for older IMHO.

Last edited:
POFQ is also my fave resort. The architecture, small size of property, and great beignets are only some of the draw! I find it very relaxing to take the boat from the resort to DS.

We are going next June too and BWI was at the top of my list but after really evaluating our budget ended up booking POFQ, this will be our first time staying onsite, so I'm excited to hear everyone's favorite things about POFQ also.

We love POFQ! We now have DVC at BW, but before that it was POFQ. We have stayed at nearly all the deluxe and some of the moderates. I really think that POFQ is one of the most beautiful resorts at Disney! Period. I really liked the boat to Disney Springs, it was a nice way to relax.

We love POFQ. Personally, our 2nd fave only behind the Poly (we've stayed at BWV so even comparing that). We really enjoy the size and theming. I know it seems disappointing to "downgrade" but it's a lovely resort that I'm sure you and your family will enjoy. Wishing you a wonderful trip!

OP, I love the BC, especially for the location and proximity to Epcot/DHS. But my desire to do annual trips meant I needed to go moderate. After a LOT of study and angst, I chose POFQ - and fell completely in love! POFQ is pretty, quaint and charming; it really does feel to me like a little neighborhood. It is small and easy to get around; so compact that there are no Preferred rooms. There is one bus stop; you will sometimes share buses with POR during less busy times of day, but I've never minded that. When they do share, POFQ is the first pick-up/drop-off. POR is a pleasant stroll away along the river and as PPs have said, you can use PORs pools as well.

Do what I did and watch all the POFQ videos you can and check out the portorleans.org website and the POFQ FAQ here (both run by Andre, who is a great source of info on both PO resorts).

I totally get where you're coming from: I've stayed at POFQ 4 years in a row but I really need to cut back next year and am trying POP for the first time. I'm looking forward to it, but I know I'm going to miss "my neighborhood."

We love POFQ. Personally, our 2nd fave only behind the Poly (we've stayed at BWV so even comparing that). We really enjoy the size and theming. I know it seems disappointing to "downgrade" but it's a lovely resort that I'm sure you and your family will enjoy. Wishing you a wonderful trip!

WE also stay at Deluxe when my DH joins us. We had never stayed at the BC, so we were so looking forward to that trip. BC, CL and all the trimmings! YAY, right???? Not so much for my DGD. LOL!! Yes she enjoyed her stay, but when she asked if we could take "PA" my DH, to see her favorite resort we were floored, We took a field trip to POFQ for lunch so Kady could give her Pa a tour of her most favorite place to stay.

Beware though, I took her to stay at teh Grand las year, DD told me I had created a resort snob. For my lovely DGD, POFQ is now her 2nd favorite resort of all time. LOL! I'm okay with that. POFQ can compete with the big guns!

I've stayed BW and I've stayed POFQ... I'd stay POFQ any day over BW. I love the "small" resort, meaning everything is so easy to get to, and its set up so neat, like a small city. The pool is cool (the BW pool includes the clown..., whereas Port's pool includes Neptune. lol). The boats are awesome, and you have the walking paths to Riverside. POFQ was the resort where I had the most freedom as a pre-teen and teen since it was so quiet and "close."

My Mom, step Dad and his whole family just got back from POFQ yesterday. They loved it. They have stayed at BWI, Poly, GF, CBR and now POFQ and really liked the small resort feel. They said the temporary food court was really good, the pool was great and the buses transportation was fantastic.

A big thumbs up from them.

If your boys are older, they may hate the pool slide. If they are younger, they may love it.

We love POFQ, in fact this Jan we are doing a split stay between POFQ and BW. BW is great for proximity to HS and Epcot but you can't beat the boat for Disney Springs. Food courts at French Quarter & Riverside are also great, they have everything we need. We also love the small, quaint feel of French Quarter. After a few days you keep seeing the same guests and staff so it feels homey and friendlier than some of the larger resorts. Bed sizes are the same but I think BW beds are actually more uncomfortable. Buses have never really been an issue and that's after 10+ visits. Relax, watch some of the videos about French Quarter and get ready for a great vacation.

We love POFQ. We did a split stay with Beach Club and I much preferred POFQ. It is beautiful transportation was great

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter