Working at WDW the Summer before College?

eclipseSD

Mouseketeer
I'm a HS senior graduating in June of 2007 and am planning on attending Notre Dame this fall.

I know the time frame between my graduation and college orientation is short, but I would really like to work at Disney World during the summer of 2007 just to get a small feel of what its like.

Unfortunately, due to different requirements and scheduling conflicts, I can't do the Career Start Program and am ineligible for the College Program until I complete one college semester.

I'd really like to just get a seasonal/hourly job in Attractions or Public Relations over the summer but I'm quite concern about the logistics. I'm from the northeast and while bottom basement Southwest Airlines fares aren't an issue, I am concerned about the housing situation.

Since Disney seems to only provide housing to those in its specific college or international programs and summer Orlando apartment rent would probably exceed my salary, I just don't think its possible for a summer job to work.

Should I wait until I'm fully in college and just try to get a hotel job in the NYC area in the meantime? Or is there any way I could get free/heavily discounted employee housing with transportation to casting?

Sorry for all the questions and the info overload, its just I'd love to work at WDW this summer and want to exercise all my options.

Not saying I have the best answer, but I think I would wait. I havent heard of discounted housing EVER in florida. I'd just finish my first semester and then head down.

I heard of the Tree Houses across the river where they would keep people like you with your ambitions. I have meet two guys (seniors) who worked in the POR food court. They had the good life considering I met them swimming in the pool at the hotel.(They had a three hour drive to get there so I don't know why they wouldn't choose to house near by) I think there are ways to get housed in WDW or even near a hotel. Just ask around on and off the DIS. Sorry if this wasn't the anser you were looking for I tried! :)
-Robin

Well, I could never afford any sort of decent summer housing AND somehow commute to WDW without a car.

I've always thought that considering how much summer employment Disney needs every year, if I could just show them that I'm ready and eager to work 7 days a week for them, they could put me up in spare CP housing or something. Anybody ever hear of this happening? It sounds like a longshot...but it could be worth a try.

If not, I need to find cast members or boarders in the area who have a cheap extra bed and a means of getting to the property daily.

Like I said, I could probably find a job at a deluxe NYC hotel or something over the summer if I had to...but I'd LOVE to spend my 2 months before college working Attractions at WDW.

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd post my current leanings.

Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio does have summer employee housing for people in just my position. The pay is comparable to Disney and housing expenses are minimal compared to Orlando (even when sharing rent). While the atmosphere isn't exactly Disney, Cedar Point is a well known resort destination and really, whats the difference for an employee between pressing a red button at an attraction at Disney and doing the same thing at Cedar Point.

Perhaps having a year of non-Disney experience under my belt will help me later on anyway. I have no concrete employment history other than two summers on my high school work crew. I love theme park/resort operations and I want to get my foot in the door somehow. Most upscale resorts/lodges/etc require references and experience I simply can't provide right now.

I figure that if things go well this summer I'll be in a good position for a college program job at Disney and if things go well there, then I have something to put on a resume when I'm trying to move into management or executive level positions 5-10 years down the road.

Thoughts, advice?

I worked last summer for Valleyfair, owned by the the same company as Cedar Point. I definitely think its a good way to see what you are getting yourself into by trying it. I just applied for the 2007 Fall College Program, so I dont know if that extra experience is enough to guarantee me a job at an attraction "pushing the red button" (it is a lot more than just that!) but I'll find out soon.

I assume apartment cost would be a major factor in your decision. I tried what you are attempting, and I had to conclude it wasn't feasible. Leases are mostly 1 year in the Orlando area, with the occasional 6-month. Even then, it's pretty impossible to find rent for under $600 a month, and it really averages more like $800. With Disney pay, you truly would barely if at all afford that. I genuinely advise to attempt the College Program if you can. It's a great experience, a whole lot of fun, and you have housing taken care of. Just my opinion of course.

As a former CP who is also planning on going to work for the summer, there is no disney housing that they will give you for a discounted rate. There is no college program this summer either. If you are determined to go this summer, you could always sublet (try craigslist.org) and try to rely on lynx buses to get to work. Also, before you look into housing, call the disney job hotline to make sure they're even hiring seasonally for operations.

It's probably in your best interest to wait and do a college program. You'll have housing, transportation, and you can emphasize that you want an attraction in your interview.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter