Woody and Buzz: When Would You Go?

Danislee

Mouseketeer
Last September my Mom, my husband, and I went to Disney for a long weekend. We got to meet Buzz and Woody while waiting for our DAS time and the line was short because it was just after Rope Drop. My three year old nephew saw the pictures of us with Buzz and Woody and that's all he could talk about for two months before he got to come to Disney for his birthday trip.

Unfortunately, he didn't get to meet them. I'm not sure if it was just timing, but according to my sister they waited quite a long time and the line didn't move. So, my nephew reached this thresh hold and started to have a melt down. He is autistic and also a Type 1 Diabetic, so my sister left the line, and of course he still had a great rest of the trip. But he still mentions meeting them.

I know you cannot use DAS for meet and greets. And, given the previous experience I know early is the best time to meet the two of them, but my nephew usually eats breakfast at 8:15. And then there's himself, my niece, the service dog, my brother in law, and my sister who all have to you know, get to the bus and to the park and through security.

When I planned our last trip, on a good day they made it into the park by 10:30. Normally I would have them go later at night, but we're usually at Fantasmic. Should I try and get them to hop over on a night when they aren't seeing Fantasmic and try and catch them during Fantasmic?

Is there any way I, or someone else could act as a place holder, in line? Essentially, someone would wait the time, while my nephew is doing something else, and then swap him in? From what I remember that queue probably isn't the most conducive for that. We don't expect special treatment, I just want to try and make this happen for him in a way that is within the rules.

I would go first thing in the morning if you can, I got luck and I only had to wait 15 minutes at about 11 one day at HS, You can always talk to GR ( no they may not do something for you) but they MAY make it so sometime they will have a way that people that can not wait in line be able to do so.

Last September my Mom, my husband, and I went to Disney for a long weekend. We got to meet Buzz and Woody while waiting for our DAS time and the line was short because it was just after Rope Drop. My three year old nephew saw the pictures of us with Buzz and Woody and that's all he could talk about for two months before he got to come to Disney for his birthday trip.

Unfortunately, he didn't get to meet them. I'm not sure if it was just timing, but according to my sister they waited quite a long time and the line didn't move. So, my nephew reached this thresh hold and started to have a melt down. He is autistic and also a Type 1 Diabetic, so my sister left the line, and of course he still had a great rest of the trip. But he still mentions meeting them.

I know you cannot use DAS for meet and greets. And, given the previous experience I know early is the best time to meet the two of them, but my nephew usually eats breakfast at 8:15. And then there's himself, my niece, the service dog, my brother in law, and my sister who all have to you know, get to the bus and to the park and through security.

When I planned our last trip, on a good day they made it into the park by 10:30. Normally I would have them go later at night, but we're usually at Fantasmic. Should I try and get them to hop over on a night when they aren't seeing Fantasmic and try and catch them during Fantasmic?

Is there any way I, or someone else could act as a place holder, in line? Essentially, someone would wait the time, while my nephew is doing something else, and then swap him in? From what I remember that queue probably isn't the most conducive for that. We don't expect special treatment, I just want to try and make this happen for him in a way that is within the rules.

You are a very sweet person for wanting to help your little nephew. I truly understand why you want to help.

You are obviously a seasoned WDW traveler... and so you are also obviously aware of, and sensitive to how people *sometimes* can react in the queues when they perceive that someone is trying to "cut" in line. :-)::ahem::: they react... not well. Some of them regress all the way to 3rd grade, I swear.) Sadly, I'm willing to be that you know the type of Guest I am talking about.

More than anything, I would hate for someone to say something to your (returning) family that could cast a shadow over, or even ruin your nephews experience. I'm not a perfect Guest myself - none of us are - but I do try to use the Golden Rule, and treat others the way I would want to be treated whenever possible.

Now, you need to know that if we were in line, and you told me that your little nephew needed to wait outside the line, and you all were directly in front of *me*, it wouldn't be a big deal. And the majority of folks here would probably feel the same way. But there is no way to make sure that the people behind you in line on any given day wouldn't see your family rolling up right at the last moment without someone's feathers getting ruffled, and then spewing their unhappiness all over your families vacation.

You didn't say when their next trip is; if I were in your shoes, here is what I would do. First, I would talk to your family about possibly changing his schedule just for that day (a little snack in a ziplock baggie with "We will go get a special Disney breakfast as soon as we see Woody and Buzz!" repeated half a bazillion times might get a little guy all the way through... ;) ) and then I would also use the Disney app in the interim to track when Woody and Buzz are typically doing meet and greets, and learn their schedule. If they are doing night time or evening meet and greets, then by all means, try to schedule during Fantastic and/or the Star Wars fireworks when there is a greater likelihood that everyone else will be doing anything but meet and greets! If, however, they seem to not be doing evening or night time meet and greets on a regular basis, then I would try to gently persuade your nephew's family to change that schedule for just one day. (and yes, I do understand the logistics involved - it would be a huge effort for them, but it would also create such a wonderful memory for him, and the entire family that it might be worth it to them.)

You didn't mention if he uses a stroller as a wheelchair, but that might be another option to let him wait in lines. Many kids find that if they have a stroller that blocks out a lot of the "noise" (both visual and auditory) that occurs at Disney then they can snuggle back in the stroller, and play with an iPad or take a little nap, or just chill with less stress. It doesn't sound like he needs total sensory deprivation, but a lot of families have success with a stroller. There are lots of adaptable strategies that center around a stroller-as-a-wheelchair, and if that is a possibility then that might be the least stressful way to go for him.

I truly hope he gets to meet Buzz and Woody on his next trip, and that he has the most Magical vacation ever! :)

We met Woody and Buzz while Fantasmic was taking place. We only had to wait for the group in front of us to finish their meet, and then we had them all to ourselves for a bit until another group came.

Thanks for the replies. To clarify: last trip he used his stroller as a wheelchair. He was in the stroller for quite some time last time, when I say the line didn't move, my sister said they were in it for two hours. (Now, I do think that's an exaggeration.) I forget where I was, but I wasn't with them when they were in line. Overall he does really well, and my sister will let him have his tablet during those longer waiting periods. He can wait, I guess last time it just got to be too long.

When we go again, he will just have turned 4, like literally the week before, so I'm guessing he'll use the stroller.

I have thought about asking my sister to change the schedule, but I'm not sure. I think little dude might be fine, it's getting the rest of them to understand the importance of rope drop. I am doing my best to at the very least we end up there on a Most Recommended Day. Maybe if we can get right in line when they arrive it'll work

The night time thing might be the way to go. If I can convince them to hop over. I think they may do that Express Transportation thing, which might make it easier.

I may try to do Guest Relations or talk to a Cast Member. But, my sister said she did try to talk to one of them (outside the Meet, not at GR) and they said there was nothing else that could be done, he had to just be in line. (And I hate confrontation and, I'd rather not be seen as "that" kind of guest.) Thank you again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter