Woo hoo -- Paris DL!

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Just booked a flight to Paris a few days ago for a two-week fall vacation. Shortly after I did, it occurred to me that I could check out DL Paris. Cool! I'll also get to Berlin and some other German cities.

Now: I want to be as surprised as I can about Paris DL so I won't lookup any details about it. I know that they have a Haunted Mansion and a BTMRR, both of which I'm pleased about. Everything else I want to be surprised by -- so no spoilers, please. I'd just like to hear people's general opinion of it.

I've been to DL several times (hopefully once again a few weeks after returning from Europe too), DW and DL Tokyo. Once I get Paris done, I'll only have one park left -- Hong Kong (it was under construction when I was there in 05) ;-).

Cheers,

Rob

I love Disneyland Paris! I went as a kid three or four times, plus DH and I went three years ago - we had a blast! I won't spoil anything for you, I'll just say it's always fun to see another Disney park and the differences they have. I liked one particular ride better there than I have in any other Disney park - I won't say which one! ;)

I will say that the weather there is a little unpredicatable so bring a variety of clothes. If you don't speak French you might want to learn some key phrases, although the cast members we encountered spoke great English.

Yay ~ have fun! I visited Paris *but not DL Paris* London, Germany *Southern/Bavaria* and Switzerland & Austria back in H.S. between my JR & SR years ~ I loved it and hope to return someday *soon* and for sure visit DL Paris.

Hi Rob, no spoilers from me - so relax. :goodvibes

I did a solo trip to DLRP in June 2007 while on business in Paris. Their Tower of Terror (at the second gate Walt Disney Studios - WDS) was about 6 months away from completion and I had to leave the day before Crush's Coaster was to open at DHS. So you have some things to see that I missed.

One of my favorite things was their Tarzan show which sadly has been discontinued. I checked a couple months ago because I had thoughts of visiting DLRP again this summer. I am going to Spain next week and will be traveling around Europe for 3 weeks with my family. If they still had Tarzan I would have tried to squeeze in 2 days at DLRP. Alas, no. IMO you only need two days at DLRP. Maybe two and a half. I had three full days and ran out of things to do.

The DRLP setup is much like DLR. Two parks very close together like DL and DCA, and a DTD-like place also very close (I think they call it Disney Village).

Without giving any spoilers - just a heads up - when you finish Phantom Manor (their version of Haunted Mansion) pay close attention at the end before you get out of your doombuggie when the ghost appears. They have a very cool effect you will physically feel. I rode it three times and my first time I thought - OK, this ride is over and the ending is just like DL and MK. I barely noticed the effect. I went back two times to check it out. So just keep your eyes up on the mirror and feel what happens. :goodvibes

Also, when I was there they had a Good Morning Fantasyland (GMFL) breakfast inside DLP if you stayed onsite at one of the six DLRP hotels - it was free. I did that twice and it was worth it. It is sort of like Magic Morning at DL. You get in early and can ride several Fantasyland rides with short lines.

The DLP castle is my favorite castle of all the Disney parks. Go up inside the castle. Also go under the castle for a surprise visit to a local - ahem - resident. ;)

Make sure you spend lots of time in Fantasyland. DLP's FL is the best of all Disney parks and very magical. Lots of bridges and water and cool shops.

The best DLRP forum I found was here on DIS. Lots of helpful Europeans who visit DLRP and WDW - many British.

Make sure you spend time on the island in Adventureland - can't remember what it is called - Skull Island? Lots of detail and cool theming and nooks and crannies.

When I was there they were 100% strict with Fastpass. 30 minute windows - not 60 like at DLR, WDW or TDR - and no late FPs accepted.

See the Lion King show at DLP. You need to get reserved tickets in the morning and they have performances in both French and English. LK did not blow me away like Tarzan but it is highly rated and popular.

See the Once Upon a Dreams parade at DLP. After I saw it I had to buy the CD of the music which I have on my iPod.

It is worth seeing the Lights, Motor, Action show at WDS which inspired the LMA show at DHS in WDW. They do it in parallel French/English and it is fun.

Have a magical trip! :wizard:

The DLP castle is my favorite castle of all the Disney parks. Go up inside the castle. Also go under the castle for a surprise visit to a local - ahem - resident. ;)

Mine too!! And follow HydroGuy's advice regarding it!

We loved DLP; my oldest DS tells everyone that was his favorite part of our trip to Paris and Italy, and begs to go back every time we talk about where to go on a vacation.

Not sure how you are planning on getting there, but taking the train from Paris is super easy and drops you right there at the entrance. We didn't tell the kids we were going to DLP, just that we were seeing "a castle" that day. They had no idea the whole train ride; when we pulled into the station they all of a sudden said, hey this looks like DL! It was like one of the MasterCard commercials - airfare to Paris $$$, tickets to DLP $$, train tickets $, look on kids faces - priceless!

We also went in the Fall - late September. A word to the wise: Paris schools have half days on Wed, so it was CROWDED! We had planned to go on a Tues, but due to some unforseen circumstances, ended up going Wed and not getting there till lunch time. Go any other week day if possible.

Have an awesome time!

See the Lion King show at DLP. You need to get reserved tickets in the morning and they have performances in both French and English. LK did not blow me away like Tarzan but it is highly rated and popular.

:

No Lion King anymore I'm afraid - the theater now shows old Disney cartoons - a waste of a good theater if you ask me - it was a great show and will be sadly missed. Still the same with the FP's - only 30 minute windows and definitely no late returns.

We have been to DLRP several times - the last time over Chistmas - if you have any specific queries, I will be happy to try and answer them.

DLP is awesome! You'll love the place...
That is another park that I want to return to when DD is much older. We went there in 2008 and both DH & I were blown away by the place. Absolutely amazing...

DLHK however I was not too keen on. DH didn't come with me but I told him that if we go it'll be another 10 years or so.

Still haven't been to DL Tokyo or DisneySea. I SO want to go there.

A old school friend works for Disney imagineering and now that he's done driving race cars for a ride :goodvibes, he's in DLP working on another ride.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I don't o on my trip until September but I'm excited about it.

Cheers,

Rob

No Lion King anymore I'm afraid - the theater now shows old Disney cartoons - a waste of a good theater if you ask me - it was a great show and will be sadly missed. Still the same with the FP's - only 30 minute windows and definitely no late returns.

We have been to DLRP several times - the last time over Chistmas - if you have any specific queries, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Same here - Ive been several times so am happy to answer any queries. I know you said you dont want any spoilers but we are all a very friendly lot over on the DLP board if you want to pop across at any time.

Sometimes a few hints and tips are worth having - like the FP window one and which rides are worth getting to early.

Hydroguy mentioned the Fantasyland breakfast - you can still do this but not from every hotel. Also you have to ask about this when you check into your hotel. You can get into the park early on most mornings with EMH to ride certain rides as long as you are staying in a disney hotel - this is a seperate thing from the breakfast

Have fun planning your trip - where else are you planning to visit in Europe?

I was there in May of 2007 for my birthday. It was wonderful, magical, and had lots of fun little "differences" that I really enjoyed, all while ddelivering the same Disney magic from my oh-so-familiar Disneyland.

You'll love it! Have a great trip!

- Dreams

How exciting for you!

We are moving to Germany next Spring and will only be 4 hours from DLP! I cannot wait to go! I've been to the parking lot in 2001 on a day trip to Paris (our bus dropped some people at DLP first) but that's as far as I got.

I know you said you dont want any spoilers but we are all a very friendly lot over on the DLP board if you want to pop across at any time.

Of that I have no doubt. I'll check that group closer to trip time -- mid Sept.

Have fun planning your trip - where else are you planning to visit in Europe?

Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin. I've only ever been to Munich in Germany so I'm very excited about this trip. France will be my 29th country (second time to Germany). I've also been to Bolivia, Japan, Iceland, Cuba and Russia, among others. It's a small world!! ;-).

Rob

Just want to second that recommendation to go under the castle (entrance on the left in the front)- I've talked to more than 1 person that missed it, and it's one of my favorite things there. Stick around for a few minutes - don't rush out Also inside the castle is GORGEOUS.

Get there early - I've been 2x and it seems that most folks show up around lunch or later. And stay late - folks leave surprisingly early.

I'm jealous. Need to go back soon............

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter