• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonka: The Best Movie Ever?

Yes I knew it was. I am surprised so many movies are musicals lately. Didn't know it was a new thing.
Musicals are kind of having another moment, right now. They were super popular in the early 2000's, went through a lull and are now back with a vengeance. I love musicals as I studied them in grad school, but I understand that they are not to everyone's taste.

Musicals are kind of having another moment, right now. They were super popular in the early 2000's, went through a lull and are now back with a vengeance. I love musicals as I studied them in grad school, but I understand that they are not to everyone's taste.
I'm okay with them, I just wish it were more clear before hand so I have my head in the right place. Wonka was even more strange because DS was asking for the soundtrack from first sight of a trailer. Couldn't find it anywhere so assumed it wasn't a music focused movie. Well they went old school and didn't release the soundtrack until the movie opened. It arrived day before Christmas just in time.

I hadn't realised that it's a prequel, but that doesn't change the fact that all three movies are using the same core source material, unless there is another Wonka book that I don't know about?
I haven't read the book in years, but in my memory Wonka in this movie is very different from the one in the book. He's much kinder, less eccentric.

I'm okay with them, I just wish it were more clear before hand so I have my head in the right place. Wonka was even more strange because DS was asking for the soundtrack from first sight of a trailer. Couldn't find it anywhere so assumed it wasn't a music focused movie. Well they went old school and didn't release the soundtrack until the movie opened. It arrived day before Christmas just in time.
It's very strange as Wonka, Color Purple and Mean Girls are all musicals, but not billed as such. It's as if people love making musical movies, but that the public doesn't like musicals.

There are some articles written about why this is.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeeten...and-the-color-purple-is-a-missed-opportunity/

I hadn't realised that it's a prequel, but that doesn't change the fact that all three movies are using the same core source material, unless there is another Wonka book that I don't know about?
Well, that brings up the discussion about no "new" stories coming out. Everything is a remake or somehow tied into something else.

How about musical commercials on t.v.? Like Jardiance?

How about musical commercials on t.v.? Like Jardiance?
I had never seen the commercial so I had to google it, wow, that was really goofy. I've seen a handful of musical commercials over the years and I usually like them, because again, I like musicals. The same goes with musical special episodes of tv shows. I'm one of those people who honestly would live in a musical (kind of like in the series Schmigadoon). They are incredibly polarising though, and I know more people who dislike them than who like them. Nevertheless, they are a powerful player in the history of contemporary entertainment.

Haven't seen it. Best movie of the year was Godzilla Minus One. Better than Barbie, as enjoyable as the latest Mission Impossible. Haven't seen the longer films like Oppenheimer or the latest Scorsese, so I can't compare to those. Not too interested in watching Wonka in the theater, may stream it later. But Godzilla...boy was I surprised!

My favourite three movies ever are Requiem for a Dream, Hannibal and Silence of the Lambs. Yes, I know, I'm dark! But you have to give credit to the producers, the cinematography is FANTASTIC! In actual fact, I find Requiem too tough to watch again, I was just blown away to simply see it. Hannibal was a masterpiece with an Opera written just for the movie to the words of Dante. And Silence of the Lambs, well, best on screen chemistry EVER! No wonder it won so many oscars!

Haven't seen it. Best movie of the year was Godzilla Minus One. Better than Barbie, as enjoyable as the latest Mission Impossible. Haven't seen the longer films like Oppenheimer or the latest Scorsese, so I can't compare to those. Not too interested in watching Wonka in the theater, may stream it later. But Godzilla...boy was I surprised!
That is our next one. I can't book it until we use up one of our reservations but looking forward to it.

I really want to see this one, hopefully still out this weekend. I feel like it came out of nowhere and have heard nothing but rave reviews for anyone who's seen it

I really want to see this one, hopefully still out this weekend. I feel like it came out of nowhere and have heard nothing but rave reviews for anyone who's seen it
My biggest gripe with the movie industry .... movies come and go so fast there is no way to see them all even if you are willing to pay for all of them. Movies only have to be in theater 7 straight days to qualify for Oscar nominations and many of them seem to open in theater just for that then disappear for streaming. :mad:

My biggest gripe with the movie industry .... movies come and go so fast there is no way to see them all even if you are willing to pay for all of them. Movies only have to be in theater 7 straight days to qualify for Oscar nominations and many of them seem to open in theater just for that then disappear for streaming. :mad:
100% agree with this. We have unlimited passes for our local cinema and often see a couple of movies each weekend, but I feel like I've still misses loads in the cinema and they're in streaming before I realise they're out.

I hadn't heard a thing about it until a few days before I saw it. I love Godzilla/King Kong movies, but the recent American movies have been pretty disappointing. This particular Godzilla was scary, exciting, and emotionally moving. The special effects are amazing for a movie that "only" cost $15 million to make. I strongly hope they will make another film. I am not a movie buff, but I seriously think this should be an Oscar contender.

We enjoyed it, but not enough to see in theaters again. No one clapped. The guy in front of us absolutely hated it.

100% agree with this. We have unlimited passes for our local cinema and often see a couple of movies each weekend, but I feel like I've still misses loads in the cinema and they're in streaming before I realise they're out.
Whereas movies in the 1940's could stay in theatres for several weeks to several months depending on their popularity. Studios also know that there are much fewer people going to cinemas now (there are a host of reasons) and would rather just get the film onto the streaming service. In the meantime, cinema companies are feeling the pinch and are going to have to be more innovative (like booking events like The Eras Tour, the MET, and Waitress the Musical) to get people in the seats. It doesn't help that seeing a movie now has become almost as expensive as seeing a live show...

Man, I wish more of the general filmgoing public was like you, @HopperFan because you read and understand movies very well.
There is a sequel book to Willy Wonka called Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator; but as far as I know, there's isn't a prequel book.

Another we didn't know it was a musical going in so much that all three of us said to the other I didn't know it was a musical at the first song.

I thought this version you could see the link from this Wonka to Gene's and how he could become the older version. I thought Timothee did well. Didn't think it was the best movie ever but did enjoy it. I was surprised my DH didn't have any issues with it to ran on afterward; besides singing.

I cannot believe how much hype Wonka has been getting ever since the trailer came out and when you see the trailer for yourself you can see how terrible Wonka is of a movie. I also cannot believe how it's hyped with a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float and an IHOP exclusive menu and all this hype means that they expected Wonka to do well. When I first saw the trailer I knew how terrible it was gonna look and parts of it seemed very scary. I bet Gene Wilder would be in shock today if he saw this if he was alive. But I think the worst animated film to top Wonka is that movie Migration because that movie also looks terrible in my eyes. But if you enjoy Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory go see the original version
We enjoyed it. Yes it is different from the original but we enjoyed the movie.

I really liked this movie when I was sitting in the theatre watching it. This is only maybe the second film I've seen in theatres since the pandemic and so it was really nice just to be out there with my two girls. I also had kind of a rough week and this movie was just fun for me with no stress.

I liked the songs. I thought they were upbeat and fun. I actually really liked Hugh Grant as the Oompa Loompa and laughed a few times. I also thought the cast was pretty representative of society and the little girl was a great actor and counter-part to Wonka.

Similar to what @Karin1984 said earlier, I thought that the plot could have been a bit stronger by 1) not being so close to Les Miserables and 2) making Wonka's character a bit more complex vis-a-vis the cartel.

Am I going to re-watch the movie? Probably not 🤷‍♂️ But do I regret paying $50 for an afternoon out with my girls to see this movie? Nope :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter