WONDERous adventures on the Panama Canal - 4/23/17

@wilma-bride -- forgot to mention that I have some envy over your ticker! Vancouver, Seattle, SF....are you cruising Alaska this summer?

So very glad we have some experienced WBPC joining to give us all the tips! Alan, I'm amazed you have been on every single WBPC! Any ideas why we are scheduled two days in the canal?
It's just one day. The same thing happened when the confirmations for this years cruise went out. It should be the day after Cartagena then four days at sea after the canal. Yes we have done all the DCL westbounds. I don't know how but we have done it.

so it's listed on two days because DCL doesn't have confirmation of which day it will be? it's listed on day 7 and day 8. i'm just curious

Hi all - Booked this cruise yesterday and after seeing the prices of all the other summer 2017 sailings I was pleasantly surprised that the price for this sailing was within reason for us. DH and I were tempted to jump on this year's sailing but instead booked a Halloween sailing on the Fantasy with sis-in-law and her fam (they're using their winnings from Wheel of Fortune Disney week :thumbsup2). They have two young children and since we don't have kids it will be exciting to see their reactions to everything on the ship. DH and I were on the inaugural SWDAS sailing and frankly I left it quite disappointed so I'm excited for these next two cruises, especially this one! :jumping1:Looking forward to following this thread, especially picking up tips on this sailing from the PC veterans.

Hi Marni, how lovely that you are doing Iceland & Norway. My cousin lives in Norway (Bergen) and I'm yet to go but I hear it is beautiful.

You are welcome to read my trip report (it's in my signature). I also absolutely loved @Flossbolna's trip report of the 2014 WBPC.

I am looking forward to seeing what changes they make to the Wonder and whether there are any familiar crew members still aboard form our 2015 cruise.

Yes, we are very excited for this summer's cruise. We had planned on taking a year off to recover financially from all of our amazing cruises over the past few years. The WBPC cruises up until this year have been right before school ended, so I had kind of given up on it for the near future. I was so excited to see that 2016 was at the beginning of May, and then 2017 actually starts in April, so we could make it work! I read and enjoyed Flossbina's trip report as well. I would love to read yours, but I can't see it. Help?

WOWSA! we are going to have a fabulous gang here!! and we are accustomed to booking closer to 18 months in advance, seems like DCL held out on us this year for too long...so now I so excited that it's just over a year away!!

I love that the drinking emoticon is out already :love2: We are not heavy drinkers, but do enjoy some cocktails while cruising! ok we enjoy them at home too, but really enjoy those drinks of the day! and we really loved Miroslav in the Cadillac Lounge last summer on the Wonder. I hope he's still onboard. I have gone to some cooking demo on prior cruises, a few years ago. I do enjoy cooking and would definitely hit a couple of those with a friend. DH wouldn't be interested. They aren't long in time but fun to watch. Movies? any or ALL! DH is big Marvel and SW fan, we both love Pixar and of course most any Disney movie. We are empty-nesters now, but still watch our movie collection frequently! And, great for trivia too! We won a couple trivia on Alaska, DH has a great memory for it. I just ride along and have fun, and look cute of course

So very glad we have some experienced WBPC joining to give us all the tips! Alan, I'm amazed you have been on every single WBPC! Any ideas why we are scheduled two days in the canal?

omg 4.5 hours on the phone...what a saint! I was watching the boards off and on and it seemed like DCL was having tech issues first thing in the morning? what a nightmare. i'm glad you got it! like you, I've been pining for this cruise for a while :love:

Guess I could have done a better intro -- hi, I'm Molli and myself and my DH, Preston will be sailing. We live in Ohio and have two DD, ages 23 and 19. We became empty-nesters last fall and celebrated that fact and our 20th anniversary on an Alaskan sailing, our first without kids. So now we get a little guilt and puppy-eyes from our daughters, and we bear our burden and pack our suitcase :joker: we have been to Cozumel several years ago on a Western sailing, but the other ports are all new to us. Also, San Diego is new. I'm not sure that we will choose to stay there much, or even at all with being gone for two weeks. Probably that will be determined by airfare costs of flying out Sat vs Sun.

If there is FE interest, I can edit my first or second post to include that when it gets to be time for that. Or now? Looks like with this many couples cruising, we would probably have enough for an adults-only and a family group? I'm not sure I'm qualified to organize all that, but I can edit the info in so that it's easy to find at the beginning of our thread. Last I knew the DIS policy was to insert that info in a post and not link to another site like google doc. I can look that up if we aren't sure

Yes, 4.5 hours! This was the second cruise that we had transferred to Costco in order to offset more of the rising costs of our cruises. When he first called Costco, they couldn't get through to Disney, and told him to call back
later. :( Since we have usually made our bookings on our own, he called the number we have for Disney and got through on the fourth try. He had Disney hold our reservation, and made sure that Costco could switch it. So he called Costco back and had them use our number, and they got through on the second call. The rest of the time was on hold while Disney and Costco got our placeholder transferred. Whew!

We have been to Cozumel and Cabo, but everything else will be new to us, too. Be aware that Disneyland is less than two hours from San Diego. You could add on some fun there before going home.

We would love to participate in an FE. We have done them on all but our first cruise. Way too much to wrap your brain around there!

Don't leave without us!! We're Mark and Linda, from Indiana. This is cruise #6 for me and #3 for him. We scored a secret porthole room, and need the year between now and our sail date to figure out who is staying with the dog! - our boys are grown and gone, but someone may need to move back into the nest for a couple of weeks :)

:cool1:Welcome @gillybean @o&smom @TheDonaldDuck @aan1701 @JaneFan619 and @MickeyEarrings !

With all of the sea days, my husband and I look forward to some of the tastings.

Hey again! :teeth: Did you all have any specific tastings in mind?

This will be our first PC cruise and it's a good thing I like the Wonder since we will be sailing her in November after dry dock. I think I may be a little addicted!

Cool. Do you usually go for the same room on the same ship or try new ones?

I do enjoy cooking and would definitely hit a couple of those with a friend. DH wouldn't be interested. They aren't long in time but fun to watch.

Hi Molli! Agree. This is going to be a great cruise. Wonder if there is a way to list activities of interest for DISers to meet up for participation. I don't mind doing things on my own but we'll all be together for 2 weeks, so we will probably waving to each other from across the room at the same activities anyway. Sounds like there are a few of us tasters here already. :rolleyes1

So excited to be joining all of you. This will be our 6th cruise. We are leaving our teenagers home with the grandparents, it will be our first time cruising alone.

Hello,

My husband and I will be joining this cruise too. It will be our 13th with Disney, and 16th total, all since 2011. We've always loved Disney and the Panama has always been on our bucket list. And being a westbound, we'll be gaining hours instead of losing them! Can't go wrong there! We are so excited to spend another 14 nights on the Wonder, our favorite ship!

@wilma-bride -- forgot to mention that I have some envy over your ticker! Vancouver, Seattle, SF....are you cruising Alaska this summer?

No, our original intention was to take the repo cruise from Vancouver down to San Diego but DH and I decided we really wanted to see some of the West coast so we are just doing a few days in each place. I will very likely head down to see the Wonder while she is in port on August 22nd though, and briefly wish I was on board ;)

It's just one day. The same thing happened when the confirmations for this years cruise went out. It should be the day after Cartagena then four days at sea after the canal. Yes we have done all the DCL westbounds. I don't know how but we have done it.

Yes, that was my thinking too. I remember last year's looking the same too. I suspect it will the day after Cartagena as you say.

Hi Gill, we were on the WBPC last May and it was pretty hot and humid, mainly dry (a a few sprinkly showers on one day and a bit overcast on another). High 80s/90s most days, with the exception of the night of the Cabo day and the last day onboard - it was really cold so you may want to bring a sweater and jeans.

Thanks for the info. That will suit me just fine :)

:welcome:

Welcome INDY1919A4! Congratulations on your nuptials! How cool that you could book a Disney cruise while waiting in a MK queue. Awesome! It will be fun to find out what movies will be showing. Do you have a favorite genre? Animated? Marvel? Star Wars? I am not a Star-Wars fan in general, but ever since the first movie came out I have had a bit of a wookiee-crush. :chewy::thumbsup2

Many thanks, My main like is animated and Disney flicks and Sci-fi.. But I must be honest
my true love is "Free" movies on board the ship... I can watch bits and pieces and walk out when I need... Many a time I have set in the BV theater Watching a "Free" movie, munching on a "free" snack from the upper deck with a "free" soda.. and wonder just how this place can stay in business...

Last edited:
Count us in! This will be number 16 for the DW & I. :yay::yay: And, I'm dragging along my parents, as my Dad has always wanted to see the Panama Canal. I think this will be number 8 or 9 for them (I've lost track). lol. I managed to snag one of the SPH rooms on opening day. I booked my parents an 11B, they'll just be happy to be on the ship. Looks like lots of experienced DCL cruisers on this sailing. Like others, we will also be empty nesters by then, so will be cruising on our own. WooHoo! :drinking1:drinking1
party:

Count us in! Funny that there was someone else at WDW booking a cruise also. I refused to leave the room until I had both rooms booked and then had to rush to get to the park:lmao: The $$ Disney is making off me this week is crazy!

ha ha.. well you were smarter than me... We had never booked opening day before, I was thinking ok we get to the park at 7:30.. 8am call
maybe spend 15 mins on hold and then by 8:30 done.. plenty of time to see the opening show and make line drop.. Was I a maroon..

Did get in at 8:00 am and was told there would be over a 15 min wait.. cool I thought so I am done by 8:45 can still see the opening show..
After opening show still on hold.. but my bride tried to get in dozens of times but could only get a busy tone, so just had to hold out and pray the battery does also...

Also when Disney let people in the park did my bride or kids offer to stay with me and provide me companionship or moral support, heck no they went around me like I was road kill..

So I moved over to the far end of the entrance where it was quieter and in the shade .. Ever so often to provide some added entertainment for the crowd when someone would walk by me I would say in a frenzied voice "buy buy get everything you can under 22 1/8th" or when I was feeling a little low and sorry for myself I would say "Sell Sell".. just wanted sound a little cool, and not just be that idiot out there on the phone while the park is open.

Finally got to talk to a real person at about 9:40 all booked by 9:50..

And I must have picked up some extra magic pixie dust because DD calls to meet at the Buzz Lightyear ride.. It was a real small crowd and was able to walk on 4 times in a row.. and DD finally got her Galactic hero pin and a great day began.

Don't leave without us!! We're Mark and Linda, from Indiana. This is cruise #6 for me and #3 for him. We scored a secret porthole room, and need the year between now and our sail date to figure out who is staying with the dog! - our boys are grown and gone, but someone may need to move back into the nest for a couple of weeks :)

So cool, we are from Indiana also.. Congrads on the SPR.. one of the many rooms on my list... May I ask, which view did you get ??????
upload_2016-4-15_10-26-7.jpegupload_2016-4-15_10-26-39.jpegupload_2016-4-15_10-27-0.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter