Wonder Galveston to San Juan 5-night repositioning question

gatordoc

hopelessly addicted...
Wondering (pun intended) whether anyone has information on the first sailing of this itinerary back in January 2018. Scott's site does not have any Navigators from this cruise, and we are interested in finding info about things like menus each evening, whether there was a pirate night, etc. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Our family of 4 (me, wife and son (9) and daughter (5)) were on that cruise and really enjoyed the laid-back, multiple days at sea. Had mostly calm seas although a bit more tossing during last afternoon/evening into San Juan. As for dining, our rotation was Animator's, Tiana's, Triton's, Tiana's Animator's (I think). Celebrated Pirates in the Caribbean on 2nd Tiana's night. We certainly enjoyed the port call at Falmouth - we opted for a day pass at Blue Waters, a short van ride away. It was well worth the money and close enough to port to not spend half the day in transit. We really enjoyed the flexibility and unhurried vibe of the repositioning, especially days at sea with nothing to do but relax and spend time together without feeling rushed.
I am happy to answer other questions if you have them. I have a pretty limited knowledge base as this was our first Disney experience, cruise or otherwise - but I can tell you our experience was always amazing. Ashley from Kentucky was our Cruise Director, and the entertainment was excellent.
A quick story - we had told the kids that the Officers in uniforms that had four stripes were the Captains. We didn't know better - but that was close enough. So, immediately on getting onboard, our daughter (5) spots a man with four stripes on his shoulders and excitedly waves to him - the amazingly patient and pleasant Pierre said, "Oui, princess?" and introduced himself. Pierre said he worked with the hotel, and would be happy to tell the Captain hello for us. He asked some questions, spoke to our son (9), and asked how our experience was, listening patiently as the kids told them all about how amazing the ship was. Then, he was off. What a great encounter - the kids were so excited to have met an officer. When we checked into our room after lunch, there was a beautiful fresh fruit tray and a hand-written note welcoming us onboard - from "Mr. Pierre" - Pierre Marechal, the Hotel Director on board! [Edited to add: My daughter was the one who started calling him "my friend Mr. Pierre."] Throughout our stay, our daughter would look for "Mr. Pierre" and found him a couple more times in passing - each time Pierre would see our daughter he would greet her as Princess (name) and ask her about her day. When it came time for the Princess tea and our daughter's (expensive but worth it just once) makeover, when she was dressed up, we spoke with Ashley (cruise director) in the Atrium and of course, daughter asks about her friend "Mr. Pierre." Ashley said, "I'll go get him right away - he would love to see you!" - although we thought it was quite an imposition, she smiled and dashed away, returning almost instantly with Pierre! Pierre made our daughter feel so special during the cruise, and she treasures the picture with her friend "Mr. Pierre" almost as much as the pictures with the Disney characters! I've wanted to share that story with the DisBoards crew ever since we came back - I've lurked here from trip pre-planning through the trip, a bit after and now as we are considering another round on the Repositioning Itinerary from Galveston. Thanks, Pierre, Ashley and the Disney Wonder for a great vacation!

Last edited:
We were on that cruise also. We really enjoyed Tiana's restaurant, the atmosphere, characters and music. It was my 6th cruise but the first on the Wonder with Tiana's. We also really enjoyed the Frozen show. It was magical, the best show I have seen on our Disney cruises. We did a tour of the Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. It showed us the countryside in Jamaica and the falls was a fun experience. We swam at the pool at Margaritaville at the port when we returned. Much better pool than onboard the ship. :)

They did the regular pirates night with fireworks. This cruise was not much different from prior cruises in relation to shows, food and activities. It had more sea days that made it relaxing. We did Palo Brunch as a family for the first time and it was the best meal of the trip. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you both. We really enjoy sea days, so we're looking forward to that aspect of the cruise. One of the things I'm trying to sort out is when to book Palo dinner. We were hoping to be able to figure out the menu rotation - I suspect that they do standard rotational on three nights, and it sounds like Pirates was on the fourth night. So I'm guessing the other night might be the Prince and Princess or See Ya Real Soon menus - we don't care for either of those, so that would be our choice.

Thank you both. We really enjoy sea days, so we're looking forward to that aspect of the cruise. One of the things I'm trying to sort out is when to book Palo dinner. We were hoping to be able to figure out the menu rotation - I suspect that they do standard rotational on three nights, and it sounds like Pirates was on the fourth night. So I'm guessing the other night might be the Prince and Princess or See Ya Real Soon menus - we don't care for either of those, so that would be our choice.
While I am not familiar with this cruise, I would book Palo's then ask your waitstaff the best night to eat at Palo's then move the reservation if necessary. We did that on our 7 day to Mexico last October (didn't want to miss the show in Tiana's!)

Our family of 4 (me, wife and son (9) and daughter (5)) were on that cruise and really enjoyed the laid-back, multiple days at sea. Had mostly calm seas although a bit more tossing during last afternoon/evening into San Juan. As for dining, our rotation was Animator's, Tiana's, Triton's, Tiana's Animator's (I think). Celebrated Pirates in the Caribbean on 2nd Tiana's night. We certainly enjoyed the port call at Falmouth - we opted for a day pass at Blue Waters, a short van ride away. It was well worth the money and close enough to port to not spend half the day in transit. We really enjoyed the flexibility and unhurried vibe of the repositioning, especially days at sea with nothing to do but relax and spend time together without feeling rushed.
I am happy to answer other questions if you have them. I have a pretty limited knowledge base as this was our first Disney experience, cruise or otherwise - but I can tell you our experience was always amazing. Ashley from Kentucky was our Cruise Director, and the entertainment was excellent.
A quick story - we had told the kids that the Officers in uniforms that had four stripes were the Captains. We didn't know better - but that was close enough. So, immediately on getting onboard, our daughter (5) spots a man with four stripes on his shoulders and excitedly waves to him - the amazingly patient and pleasant Pierre said, "Oui, princess?" and introduced himself. Pierre said he worked with the hotel, and would be happy to tell the Captain hello for us. He asked some questions, spoke to our son (9), and asked how our experience was, listening patiently as the kids told them all about how amazing the ship was. Then, he was off. What a great encounter - the kids were so excited to have met an officer. When we checked into our room after lunch, there was a beautiful fresh fruit tray and a hand-written note welcoming us onboard - from "Mr. Pierre" - Pierre Marechal, the Hotel Director on board! [Edited to add: My daughter was the one who started calling him "my friend Mr. Pierre."] Throughout our stay, our daughter would look for "Mr. Pierre" and found him a couple more times in passing - each time Pierre would see our daughter he would greet her as Princess (name) and ask her about her day. When it came time for the Princess tea and our daughter's (expensive but worth it just once) makeover, when she was dressed up, we spoke with Ashley (cruise director) in the Atrium and of course, daughter asks about her friend "Mr. Pierre." Ashley said, "I'll go get him right away - he would love to see you!" - although we thought it was quite an imposition, she smiled and dashed away, returning almost instantly with Pierre! Pierre made our daughter feel so special during the cruise, and she treasures the picture with her friend "Mr. Pierre" almost as much as the pictures with the Disney characters! I've wanted to share that story with the DisBoards crew ever since we came back - I've lurked here from trip pre-planning through the trip, a bit after and now as we are considering another round on the Repositioning Itinerary from Galveston. Thanks, Pierre, Ashley and the Disney Wonder for a great vacation!

Thank you for sharing! So precious!

I was on this cruise with my 17yo son. Looking back at our personal navigators, night 2 was optional dress up and night 3 was Pirate Night. We loved the number of sea days. We thought a 5 night might seem too short after only having done 7 nights prior to this, but having so many sea days gave us plenty of time to enjoy the ship without it feeling rushed. The order of shows was Be Our Guest - Welcome Aboard Show, The Golden Mickeys, The Great Dubois (variety show), Frozen, and Disney Dreams. We loved the food and show at Tiana's and the new Frozen show. The menu the last night was not the Sea Ya Real Soon one, but a California themed menu. It wasn't horrible, but it was by far our least favorite dinner menu on any Disney cruise we have been on, which made it kind of disappointing for our final night. I hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter