Wonder from New Orleans in 2020?

Mardi Gras 2020 is February 25, but with plenty for people to do in two weeks leading up, or for people that want to come to MG and start the cruise on the 27th.

I have a feeling there will be a LOT of Louisiana families on that 2/21 sailing to take advantage of Mardi Gras break.

We absolutely love NOLA, so I'm very excited they're sailing from there. However, although there are 2 sailings the week that is likely to be school vacation week, neither work, because of their timing (leaving on a Friday and a 4 night starting on a Thursday). So that's a bummer. I hope these sailings do well so that they'll continue them. Maybe some day dates will align.

Ditto! We love love love NOLA, so much so that my husband did his happy dance when he found out DCL will be cruising from there. But there’s really only one week we can go, which is the week of Presidents Day, but we’d still have to take kids out of school for two days because it sails on a Friday.

For me the only cruise I was interested in sailing out of NOLA was the Panama Canal Cruise which I will consider booking. They where several Fantasy Cruises sailing out of Port Canaveral that I found interesting as well. I was happy with the announcement of the return of the Hawaiian cruises but disappointed that they where only one way cruises. Good luck with your bookings.

I'm getting a little bit closer to convincing DH we need to do the WBPC ;-) Of course opening day prices could derail that plan.....we shall see. Also interested in the 8 night Fantasy cruise as it also takes place during our second week of Spring break but I'm thinking that one will start too high out of my comfort zone as well!:sad2:

For me the only cruise I was interested in sailing out of NOLA was the Panama Canal Cruise which I will consider booking. They where several Fantasy Cruises sailing out of Port Canaveral that I found interesting as well. I was happy with the announcement of the return of the Hawaiian cruises but disappointed that they where only one way cruises. Good luck with your bookings.

Me too. Very happy with the WBPC dates.

Well...I had 3 days to think about it - not always a good thing. I would have considered Hawaii and would have considered going out of NOLA (just for the Wonder) but dates don't work for us. We were left with a 5 night Baja (doesn't sound like we'd enjoy the ports), a 5 night Magic (I just cannot do the Magic again), and a 7 night Eastern on the Fantasy (don't like the Eastern). So we'll give this a pass and since we have a big land trip in summer 2020 it looks like we might have to wait for one of the new ships. Hoping those will have some exciting itineraries! Good luck to everyone booking next week!

Last edited:
I don't understand all the hate on NOLA, it's a great place. This will be an amazing combination. Will be booking on Monday.

Samesies! I just bought a vacation home in NOLA and this is fabulous news - definitely planning to book the first sailing that hits Castaway Cay.

And for the poster who said NOLA is a cesspool Hellscape but then suggested DCL do a "The Wire" tour excursion in Baltimore ... um, have you like actually watched "The Wire" cuz OK. :confused3

We live outside of Mobile so the New Orleans Port is fantastic news! However the dates seem a little odd. Not sure any of them would work for us... How do they come up with the dates they think will sell best or is more about ship positions?

I am only guessing, but I think the NOLA sailing “season” was probably picked, at least in part, to coincide with Mardi Gras 2020, and the extra week off of school that families get at that time.

I am only guessing, but I think the NOLA sailing “season” was probably picked, at least in part, to coincide with Mardi Gras 2020, and the extra week off of school that families get at that time.

That and with most of the major cruise lines deploying newer, larger ships in 2020 and beyond, they have an opportunity to move some of the smaller ships to new ports that can only handle smaller ships (ie. New Orleans because of the river, Cuba, Panama Canal, Hawaii, Alaska). Plus, Galveston sailings have been been some of the most discounted cruises for the last while (I keep my home base in Texas, so I watch the fare fluctuation out of Galveston on a weekly basis), so there's no loss in going to a smaller schedule out of a new port with a motivated client base during a time of the year when most locals are actively looking to get out of town (and in many cases - go to Disney).

The announcement was on every local NOLA and Gulf Coast broadcast the day this was announced, so I bet many of these sailings sell out quickly - especially that Panama Canal itinerary and possibly the first sailing that includes CC.

That and with most of the major cruise lines deploying newer, larger ships in 2020 and beyond, they have an opportunity to move some of the smaller ships to new ports that can only handle smaller ships (ie. New Orleans because of the river, Cuba, Panama Canal, Hawaii, Alaska). Plus, Galveston sailings have been been some of the most discounted cruises for the last while (I keep my home base in Texas, so I watch the fare fluctuation out of Galveston on a weekly basis), so there's no loss in going to a smaller schedule out of a new port with a motivated client base during a time of the year when most locals are actively looking to get out of town (and in many cases - go to Disney).

The announcement was on every local NOLA and Gulf Coast broadcast the day this was announced, so I bet many of these sailings sell out quickly - especially that Panama Canal itinerary and possibly the first sailing that includes CC.
Hey @Keels, we'll definitely be going out of NOLA on one of those cruises (although Tuscaloosa doesn't get Mardi Gras week off, unfortunately - ETA, I do think most of the college kids "take" that week off...)

I'm getting a little bit closer to convincing DH we need to do the WBPC ;-) Of course opening day prices could derail that plan.....we shall see.
Oooooh. We are booking because the second week matches spring break. I guess my work could still say no when I ask for the extra personal days, but I'm going to do everything I can to sell it.

Maybe I'll finally get to meet a Diser.

I live an hour away from the Port of New Orleans and have been hoping and dreaming for a Disney cruise to leave out of NOLA. Of course, there are only a few for 2020, but hopefully they will sell well and there will be more in the future. I will be trying for the one leaving on 2/7/20. My daughter is no longer in school so I don't need to book the one that is Mardi Gras week. Just hoping the prices aren't out of my price range. I am Gold so I will be checking (and hopefully booking) on Tuesday. Then I will try to re-shop on my cruise in Oct 2019 but most likely the price on Tuesday will be the best price even considering an onboard booking discount. Good luck to all who are going to be booking on opening day!

Oooooh. We are booking because the second week matches spring break. I guess my work could still say no when I ask for the extra personal days, but I'm going to do everything I can to sell it.

Maybe I'll finally get to meet a Diser.

Woohoo that would be fantastic!! Yes the second week of the cruise also matches with our (first week of) spring break! I wish I was gold for this booking, however. I won't be gold til we step off the Fantasy on November 3rd lol

Love NOLA, an awesome city. Great food!!. We're booking this week. We're 4 1/2 hours away so very convenient. We haven't been on the Wonder in years. Can anyone give us their opinion or advice for the updated Wonder? Trying to decide on Verandah vs Concierge Verandah. We have traveled concierge before but unsure if its worth it on the Wonder and for this itinerary. We don't know the prices yet but expect ~ $1500 - 2000 difference. Are the the concierge vs non-concierge verandah rooms different?.

Kind of a bummer that the Mardi Gras cruise doesn’t have a stop in CC. I know it’s a bit out of the way, but still.

Samesies! I just bought a vacation home in NOLA and this is fabulous news - definitely planning to book the first sailing that hits Castaway Cay.

And for the poster who said NOLA is a cesspool Hellscape but then suggested DCL do a "The Wire" tour excursion in Baltimore ... um, have you like actually watched "The Wire" cuz OK. :confused3

I don't think the Galveston cruises often went to CC. I don't have a percentage though.

We don't know the prices yet but expect ~ $1500 - 2000 difference.

Per person or per room? I think you'll see a much larger price gap per room.

We didn't sail the Wonder before the dry dock, but loved the ship last year in Alaska. We did a Navigator verandah and an inside across the hall and loved it.

I don't think the Galveston cruises often went to CC. I don't have a percentage though.
The Bahama cruises out of Galveston go to CC, the Western Caribbean ones do not. We've taken 2 cruises out of Galveston to the Bahamas and we love the itenary: Galveston, Sea Day, Key West, CC, Nassau, 2 Sea Days. I think the cruises out of New Orleans have similar itineraries as the cruises out of Galveston.

I have no idea what our schedules will be like in 2020, but I really want to sail out of New Orleans. Would it be crazy to book the cruise now and then closer to the date when we really know if we can do it (I might be really pregnant at the time if things go according to plan and wouldn't be able to sail) Disney has refundable deposits right? I've never booked a cruise this far out before, especially with so many unknowns. But Disney is cheapest when first released so I want to lock in a good price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter