WONDER FOOD not so Wonderful

We just booked our first cruise with Disney, and we are expecting the food to be just OK and nothing like other cruise ships. By the way, we have never cruised before but hear that cruise ship food is excellent. We are expecting the mesquite smell and taste that you get at all the on property Disney restaurants.

I feel if we go on with that attitude we can only be pleasantly surprised and not disapponted.

Well, we eat out quite a bit, too, but we enjoyed the food at all of the restaurants. I have to agree it not wildly inventive or experimental, but it was tasty and well prepared. We didn't have any trouble with temperature. We were on the Jan. 13 4 day.

At Triton's (our second favorite, after Palo's), I had the camembert (OK), the duck breast with parsnips and mashed potatoes (DELISH!) and cherries jubilee.

Animator's was lobster and shrimp wrapped in soft tortilla, a (big) veal chop w/polenta- very tender and great flavor, and strawberry shortcake and 1/2 order of boston creme pie.

At Parrot Cay I had 4 appetizers and two desserts. The great lineup included cocnut shrimp with onion rings (yum), seafood salad on greens, (yum yum), potstickers with chicken wings and an excellent sauce (yum yum yum) and the BEST was the grilled vegetables with mango salsa. I loved my two desserts there, too - bananas flambe and grilled pineapple. Our servers, George and Attila, served the appetizers in shifts so that I always had a plate in front of me when everyone else did,

Palo's appetizers for me were calamari (pretty good) and a portobello mushroom w/polenta dish that was out of this world. My entree was a great rack of lamb with baby vegetables ina parmesan cheese cup. Dessert, of course, was the sublime chocolate souffle.

The bread is all freshly baked on the ship, and it is sinfully delicious, especially the french bread rolls. I ate too much bread at every meal!

Hope your next cruise has food more to your liking!

I agree with Slindamood. We have been on 2 cruises and both times we thought that the food was fantastic. Although we are not gourmets, we do go on nice vacations (both of our cruises were in the royal suites) and eat in good restaurants often. While I can say that not every single thing that we eat on our cruises was the most terrific meal that we have ever had, overall the meals on the Disney ships were wonderful. By the way the food is only a small part of the overall experience of a Disney cruise. The ship, the accomodations, the crew and the service all help to make a disney cruise an amazing vacation. Don't stress about the food, its great and the cruise itself is so good that I would even go on a Disney ship if I had to bring my own food along. We are booked for our next cruise on 11/2/2002 (only 278 days and counting) and can't wait. By the way Hot4disney, are you on that cruise ?

Am going on a four day trip on Wonder in April. CThis will be first time on DCL. Could anyone tell me - Is there a limit to how many nighs you can make reservations at Palo - can one dine there all 4 nights of a four night cruise. Also - is room service free or do you have to pay? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter