Wonder--10-day Hawaii to Vancouver 9/17/2015

I'm GOING TOO!!!! SO EXCITED!!! Never been to Hawaii, been on one Disney Cruise 10 years ago, just a 4-night, Wonder was almost new... So looking forward to this.... :dance3::woohoo::cheer2::dance3:

Hi everyone! Jim and Jenn from Toronto just booked this morning! :)

So excited! I love the itinerary and we are going to spend a couple nights in San Fran and Waikiki beforehand.

This will be our first Disney cruise, mainly we have sailed on Carnival in the past. Can't wait!

Jenn

Hi everyone! Jim and Jenn from Toronto just booked this morning! :)

So excited! I love the itinerary and we are going to spend a couple nights in San Fran and Waikiki beforehand.

This will be our first Disney cruise, mainly we have sailed on Carnival in the past. Can't wait!

Jenn

Welcome to the group

We are looking at this cruise...can anyone confirm the itinerary for me? I see this on the site:

September 17: Honolulu, Oahu (depart @ 4PM)

September 18: Kahului, Maui (arrive @ 8AM; depart @ TBD)

September 19: At Sea (but says "On Board" at 5:45PM)

September 20: Hilo, Hawaii (arrive @ 7:45AM; depart @ 4:45PM)

September 21: Nawiliwili, Kaua‘i(arrive @ 9:15AM; depart @ 5:45PM)

Is there really an at sea day on the 19th or or we still in Maui? It doesn't have a departure time from Maui so I am thinking it may be a mix up but not sure?

I think it's a mistake. When you look at the same Itinerary on another link, it still has two days in port. But you never know, I guess. Things can change. Our Iceland/Norway changed from the Faroe Islands to Scotland after a month of being announced in the first place. :confused3

We are looking at this cruise...can anyone confirm the itinerary for me? I see this on the site:

September 17: Honolulu, Oahu (depart @ 4PM)

September 18: Kahului, Maui (arrive @ 8AM; depart @ TBD)

September 19: At Sea (but says "On Board" at 5:45PM)

September 20: Hilo, Hawaii (arrive @ 7:45AM; depart @ 4:45PM)

September 21: Nawiliwili, Kaua‘i(arrive @ 9:15AM; depart @ 5:45PM)

Is there really an at sea day on the 19th or or we still in Maui? It doesn't have a departure time from Maui so I am thinking it may be a mix up but not sure?

The confirmation I have from our OBB shows both the Friday and Saturday in Kahului. They show both days arriving at 8 am and leaving at 5:45 pm, which would lead me to think that we actually sail around a bit the Friday night.

Here is the answer from Disney about the legality of the B2B in question from my TA. Thank you all for all your input here about this issue and I guess this is the final answer. We'll be flying home from Vancouver!:

Hi Bonnie:

I received a call from Sue from Disney Cruise Line shore services today and she said that they did more research and your two sailings cannot unfortunately be booked together as they do violate the PVSA rule.

I did let her know that we checked on this a number of times and were told that booking these two sailings were not a problem. She said that this was not something that they were aware of and needed to do more research, but I did let her know that this is something that DCL should have been aware of due to past sailings (just FYI). It's unfortunately frustrating when DCL provides different answers!

She said what we can do is cancel the Vancouver to San Diego sailing or if you prefer, you can change that sailing currently for 9/27/15 to a different sailing and she said that they would honor the pricing as of the date that this sailing was originally booked (5/21/14), so if you might want to do the other Hawaii sailing so it is a true back to back (Vancouver to Honolulu, Honolulu to Vancouver) on 9/7/15, please let me know and I can check availability and rates for you.

The itinerary on the web site says Ashore at 8:00 on Sept 18 and Onboard at 5:45 p.m. on Sept 19. Even though it says "at sea" for the second day - the ship will overnight in port, and you'll be able to stay out all night if you wish! The ship won't sail around the first night it is in Maui.

Here is the answer from Disney about the legality of the B2B in question from my TA. Thank you all for all your input here about this issue and I guess this is the final answer. We'll be flying home from Vancouver!:

Hi Bonnie:

I received a call from Sue from Disney Cruise Line shore services today and she said that they did more research and your two sailings cannot unfortunately be booked together as they do violate the PVSA rule.

I did let her know that we checked on this a number of times and were told that booking these two sailings were not a problem. She said that this was not something that they were aware of and needed to do more research, but I did let her know that this is something that DCL should have been aware of due to past sailings (just FYI). It's unfortunately frustrating when DCL provides different answers!

She said what we can do is cancel the Vancouver to San Diego sailing or if you prefer, you can change that sailing currently for 9/27/15 to a different sailing and she said that they would honor the pricing as of the date that this sailing was originally booked (5/21/14), so if you might want to do the other Hawaii sailing so it is a true back to back (Vancouver to Honolulu, Honolulu to Vancouver) on 9/7/15, please let me know and I can check availability and rates for you.

Thanks for posting your response. It's amazing that We the People figured this out before the Hawaii cruises were available to book, but The Mouse with all the money couldn't! At least DCL knows about this more than a year in advance - unlike the few months' notice that was given when the same thing happened in Sept. 2012.

Got the call from Disney telling me they can't let me do B2B...so sad...darn...stupid law from over 100 years ago...:confused3
they did offer to book me another cruise in 2015 at opening day prices...
The guy was very nice...

on to plan B to get home from Vancouver....:surfweb:

There are two nice ways to travel between Vancouver, BC and Seattle. Amtrak has a very early morning train and a late evening train, both have great water side scenery along the trip. The scheduling of the trains is not particularly good for south bound cruise passengers. Amtrak also has several bus runs between Vancouver, BC and Seattle that have better schedules for cruise passengers. When looking up information on Amtrak sites please be aware that there is also a Vancouver, WA, a totally different city in the opposite direction.

A dedicated bus service for cruise passenger is also available. Quick Shuttle has several trips each day bringing passengers between the two cities.

My mom, son, and I just did our first cruise on the Wonder for Westbound Panama Canal. We are officially hooked and booked for our second cruise. It will be hard to wait until September 2015. I'm a little nervous about pulling Colby out of his first month of kindergarten, but so far this is the plan!

I've totally got the Disney bug now.

We just booked this morning! It will be me, DH, DS8 and DD5 (gosh, it's scary to think of them that old! They're still 6 and 3 until next month!)

This will be our 4th cruise and the kids' 2nd cruise. Right now, we're booked in a 9A but I think we may try to move down to a 9B GTY, just for some cost savings. We're also planning either 4 or 6 nights at Aulani beforehand.

The best part about this cruise is that when we dock in Vancouver, we just have an hour flight home to Alberta!

Ch-ch-ch-changes already!

We managed to get the 9B GTY yesterday! Not knowing our room for so long will drive me nuts, but the savings was enough to almost cover our tipping so I'll survive. ;)

There are two nice ways to travel between Vancouver, BC and Seattle. Amtrak has a very early morning train and a late evening train, both have great water side scenery along the trip. The scheduling of the trains is not particularly good for south bound cruise passengers. Amtrak also has several bus runs between Vancouver, BC and Seattle that have better schedules for cruise passengers. When looking up information on Amtrak sites please be aware that there is also a Vancouver, WA, a totally different city in the opposite direction.

I just took the VAC-SEA train yesterday after sailing on Wonder. The 5:45pm train worked fine for me after the cruise because I stored my bags with CDS baggage storage at Canada Place after I got off the ship and then spent the rest of the morning and afternoon walking around downtown. It was very convenient, although may not be economical if you have a lot of bags. 2 carry-on bags (1 was 20" rollaboard) + 1 suitcase was only $20.50, though.

Tacking this on to get home from Aulani. Just booked this morning.

Those of you doing back to backs, you might be fine if you're doing the 2 Hawaii cruises back to back, but it's a violation of maritime law to do the Hawaii-Vancouver cruise back to back with the Vancouver-San Diego cruise. Apparently you can't travel on the same ship between two US ports without a stop in a distant foreign port (North American ports like Vancouver don't count). Although I did read that the bookings are currently being allowed, in the future you may be asked to drop one of those cruises so be prepared. Something similar happened with the Pacific Coast cruises previously.

No, not true. That was a rumor someone started. Vancouver and Victoria are FOREIGN PORTS. We were booked onboard the Disney Magic with discounts on both cruises--- many of our friends did the same. DCL made the direct bookings.

No, not true. That was a rumor someone started. Vancouver and Victoria are FOREIGN PORTS. We were booked onboard the Disney Magic with discounts on both cruises--- many of our friends did the same. DCL made the direct bookings.

What was a rumor?

It's totally correct (under the PVSA law) that you cannot book a B2B that will transport you from one US port to a different US port without a stop in a DISTANT foreign port. A distant foreign port is described as "a port NOT in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)." 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(2)." A closed-loop cruise (beginning and ending in the same port, US or foreign) only has to stop in any foreign port(near or distant).

What cruises are you referring to on the Magic that would not comply with this law?

Currently, anyone that DCL booked on the Hawaii/Vancouver; Vancouver/San Diego repo B2B is being notified that one or the other of their cruises must be cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter