Won a Disney trip in a contest- help me choose

MarBee

DIS Veteran
I was contacted today by my local radio station saying I won a 5 day/4 night trip to Disney World. I don’t have all of the specifics yet, as they’re announcing it tomorrow they said. (I’m hoping it’s not a scam!)
Meanwhile, I can’t sleep because I'm so excited and my mind is racing.
I have to decide a few things-
1) best time to go? I’m debating between a) early May because I love F&G and the heat is (hopefully) not too awful then OR b) early December for Christmas time

2) if given the choice of deluxe hotels, which would you pick? (I am basing this off of properties I’ve never stayed at before) a) GF b) Poly c) Boardwalk d) Riviera

3) if given the choice of moderates, which would you choose? a) POR Riverside or b) Caribbean Beach

Thanks for any help or advice! I’ve been to WDW 15ish times but haven’t been since 2022, and we only did the Christmas Party and stayed off site then.

I was contacted today by my local radio station saying I won a 5 day/4 night trip to Disney World. I don’t have all of the specifics yet, as they’re announcing it tomorrow they said. (I’m hoping it’s not a scam!)
1) best time to go? I’m debating between a) early May because I love F&G and the heat is (hopefully) not too awful then OR b) early December for Christmas time

2) if given the choice of deluxe hotels, which would you pick? (I am basing this off of properties I’ve never stayed at before) a) GF b) Poly c) Boardwalk d) Riviera

3) if given the choice of moderates, which would you choose? a) POR Riverside or b) Caribbean Beach

Thanks for any help or advice! I’ve been to WDW 15ish times but haven’t been since 2022, and we only did the Christmas Party and stayed off site then.
How exciting!

1. Crowd wise I vote for early May. This has always been my favorite time to visit. In addition to manageable crowds weather is beautiful! However, if you’re going to do Christmas the first week of Dec is a good week and you could add in a Mickey Christmas party. But parks will def be more crowded than early May!

2. Deluxe: i think this depends on where you’ll be spending most of your park time. If you want some pool time and MK is a park favorite I’d vote Poly. However if you are more of a HS/EP then I’d say Riviera to be on the Skyliner loop.

Haven’t stayed at either of those moderates so can’t comment!

https://www.disboards.com/attachmen...3940499&hash=39d019e27ebeb8b6e9c4e768070a9f52

Grand Floridian if deluxe
Port Orleans Riverside if Moderate
Early December

Congratulations!

I’ve been in May a few times and only November once, but I would likely still pick May.

grand Floridian for deluxe.
no idea re moderate. We haven’t stayed in any of the mods yet

Congrats!
I'd also go with early May - crowds likely not bad (except for F&G on the weekend).
I've stayed at all of the deluxes you list. The one advantage to Boardwalk is that it's next to Epcot, so if you're just going for F&G, it may work best. That being said, in my experience and opinion, it's the worst of the four. The others... it really depends on what you're going for.

Riviera has the Skyliner directly to Epcot and the best pool bar. Pool isn't great, though it's a nice deck area. Definite advantage in that it's one building, so you don't have to go out in the rain to do things in the hotel. And we absolutely love Topolino's.

Poly has the best theming IMO, and likely the best bar on site. Monorail is a plus AND you can walk to the TTC to just hop onto the Epcot Monorail instead of taking the MK loop one all the way around. Good pool area.

GF... really just has a different feel to it. It *feels* luxurious. Upscale stores, amazing restaurants. The rooms are light and spacious. One stop from the monorail to MK, though it can be crowded to get on (but, again... one stop). Nice pool area.

All three of these have very good quick serve restaurants for breakfast or whatever. The one at Riviera has a bit more of a unique menu, but my wife and older daughter really don't like that they only have iced coffee upstairs at the bakery when the quick serve is a floor below!

Can't really comment on the moderates - stayed at CBR about 18 years ago and POR is the only one we didn't go to.

Have a great trip!

FYI - As someone who worked 10 years in radio, if this was an online enter-to-win contest by law (and Disney's guidelines) they have to post the Rules & Guidelines on their website. I would search their site for contest rules/prizing for this giveaway and that should lay out all the specifics of the trip you've won. (Ticket usage, hotel stay, airfare (if applicable), etc)

FYI - As someone who worked 10 years in radio, if this was an online enter-to-win contest by law (and Disney's guidelines) they have to post the Rules & Guidelines on their website. I would search their site for contest rules/prizing for this giveaway and that should lay out all the specifics of the trip you've won. (Ticket usage, hotel stay, airfare (if applicable), etc)
And don't forget the tax liability for the prize value.

Thanks! Yes they value the trip at $8600 so I’m on the hook for about $2200 in taxes I believe. I was thinking for them to value the trip at that price, I *should* be staying at a deluxe or at least a moderate. We shall see though. 🤞

We were there last may 7-21 and it was ungodly hot the entire trip. We’re used to going in Nov/Dec so we were not used to doing Disney in the heat. Just a heads up, may is HOT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter