Women Who Smoke

Quit years ago.I adored smoking,as did my husband.It was a nice little treat that you could have 20 times a day.If things were going bad,a light and a nice inhale put the horizon back in place.Wish we were the type of people who could just have one occasionally,but we're not.That door is firmly nailed shut.

My husband has a photo from his hospital birth. Back when charts where kept at the foot of the bed and ashtrays were on the bedside tables!

My “point” for starting this thread was just to provide humorous photos of women smoking. It wasn’t meant to shame or lecture on the evils of smoking.

Of course, I have no control on how a thread evolves.

For the record, I started smoking in college, but for the most part gave it up soon after I found out I was pregnant. Two or three times a year I bum a cigarette from a friend or co-worker who smokes. In most states, standard cigarettes are $10 or more per pack. I have better things to spend money on.
:rolleyes1 Don't play all innocent now, Red. How could you not have seen the child-molester thing coming. ;)
...I'm a two-pack-a-day, (unfiltered) 'reformed; prior smoker. Started when I was 13, quit when I was 27, 51 years ago (back then, a 10 pack carton cost about $2.80, 28 cents a pack) . Probably nothing worse or a PITA than a 'reformed' smoker, haha. :smokin: :rolleyes2
::yes:: Yes there is, Dan. A sexual predator abusing children. And few of them ever reform.

I lump parents who smoke/smoked around their children in the same bucket as child molesters, they are equally horrible people.

I don't see the difference between the two.

Smoke but NEVER expose your kids to the second hand smoke, have at it, smoke all you want. People should be able to smoke in designated smoking areas if they want.

Just don't make the decision for your kids that they should smoke as well.

View attachment 763130
As someone who’s father smoked and someone who also was sexually abused as a child (not by my father) you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. 😡😡

... My Mom and Dad smoked, so did all of my grandparents, aunts and uncles. They smoked around us kids all the time, and although I never liked it, I didn't consider it strange. It just *was.*
I could say the same thing. My parents, 3 of 4 grandparents, and all my aunts and uncles smoked. All my parents' friends smoked. Of course they smoked in the house, around the table while we played board games, in the car with us. I remember my Girl Scout leaders smoking at our meetings. Not surprisingly, my one non-smoking grandmother outlived everyone else in her generation.

As you say, it just "was" life for those of us born in the 60s and 70s. As a child, I remember thinking I'd have to smoke when I grew up ... and I already vaguely knew I didn't want to do it, but I assumed it was a requirement.
... I wanted to smoke in the 80s to look “cool” ...
I've never understood why people think smoking looks cool.
... I'm just so disappointed that for some reason people are now OK with weed starting to show up everywhere ...
Agree. When my high school students talk about whether they smoke, they don't mean tobacco. It's been years since I smelled cigarette smoke on students' coats.
I am not trying to minimize the severity of child molestation but maximize the severity of secondhand smoke and children that can not consent ...
That's a pretty outrageous idea. I'm not comparing anything to anything ... but I will say that my life has been negatively affected by secondhand smoke. All us kids were constantly sick with lung-related this-or-that growing up, and I've lost track of how many times I've had pneumonia. Secondhand smoke really did hurt those of us who grew up with it.
Yea, cause drinking is so much healthier and never causes any pain to anyone at anytime. I will admit that unless someone throws a drink at you, your clothes probably won't take on the smell of alcohol.
Two things can be true; we don't have to evaluate which is worse.

I could say the same thing. My parents, 3 of 4 grandparents, and all my aunts and uncles smoked. All my parents' friends smoked. Of course they smoked in the house, around the table while we played board games, in the car with us. I remember my Girl Scout leaders smoking at our meetings. Not surprisingly, my one non-smoking grandmother outlived everyone else in her generation.

As you say, it just "was" life for those of us born in the 60s and 70s. As a child, I remember thinking I'd have to smoke when I grew up ... and I already vaguely knew I didn't want to do it, but I assumed it was a requirement.

I've never understood why people think smoking looks cool.

Agree. When my high school students talk about whether they smoke, they don't mean tobacco. It's been years since I smelled cigarette smoke on students' coats.

That's a pretty outrageous idea. I'm not comparing anything to anything ... but I will say that my life has been negatively affected by secondhand smoke. All us kids were constantly sick with lung-related this-or-that growing up, and I've lost track of how many times I've had pneumonia. Secondhand smoke really did hurt those of us who grew up with it.

Two things can be true; we don't have to evaluate which is worse.
In my opinion there is more to it than that. There are genetics involved. I was born in 1948, throughout my life people smoked a lot until at least the 1990's. That's a lot of exposure. I even smoked for over 40 years. I quit just before my 50th birthday in 1998. I haven't even had a cold for about 7 years now, never had pneumonia, but do have minor bronchial COPD controlled by a single inhaler daily to the point that I don't cough anymore. The cough combined with the expense is the reason why I quit smoking. To say that those things you mentioned are caused by second hand smoke, may have been a contributor but there was another problem coupled with it. There are people that claimed they got lung cancer because they could smell smoke outside as they walked past a person that was smoking. I'm not saying it is healthy I'm just saying that it isn't the primary cause of all those extreme problems.

It took a long time for people to take it seriously. I can remember on road trips in the south stopping in restaurants around the time that designated smoking areas were establish and they were put in the middle of the dining area surrounded by non-smoking areas. Like the smoke would be confined to just the airspace above the smokers. Of course, at the time the south was heavily dependent on the tobacco trade so restrictions were not well received at the time. Not to be outdone by the handicapped parking areas which were conveniently located in the furthest point away from the entrance to the establishment.

Last edited:
I am not saying they are child molesters, I am saying in my book, they are one and the same.

In my opinion, there is no difference between a child abuser, child molester, and someone who smokes around their kids.

They should all be treated the same by the courts.
My parents deeply regretted and felt terribly about the years they subjected me to second hand smoke and often told me so later. They knew about the personal risks of smoking, but genuinely didn't know about any second hand risks. Newspaper, radio and 3 TV channels were the ONLY media at that time and all content the public saw was dictated and controlled by deep pocketed sponsors, including tobacco firms. Few people knew that secondhand smoke dangers were an issue.

Did you know that the American Lung Association, national cancer experts and health insurers still won't fully recognize or advocate for second hand smoke risks, even today?

Because I was subject to heavy second hand smoke my entire life and have related health conditions today from that, I wanted to get a preventive lung cancer screening. None of the above advocates feel it's necessary for second hand smokers to get a preventive lung cancer screening!

So I must pay 100% out of pocket for a preventive lung cancer screening that every smoker, ex smoker and those with lung cancer in their immediate family get for FREE. Those exposed to heavy second hand smoke don't qualify for these preventive measures.

Last edited:
my MIL used to smoke actually both MIL and FIL he quit though long before MIL

it was one Christmas eve and we had DH both grandmas and his parents along with an aunt and cousin
everyone smoked expect of us one of the grandmas
his aunt asked if it was ok if she smoked--which actually surprised me since she never asked about anything just did what she wanted

anyways I made a face like do you have too
her reply was so that bothers you
before I could answer MIL says oh go ahead and smoke--its ok

excuse me whose house is this
smoke gives me a sick headache and makes me feel sick to my stomach but that didnt matter
I wish I was fiester back then she would have gotten an earful--

from then on I pur a note on the back door that said "smoking room" and she went outside

also I do have to laugh about the non smoking areas of restrauants
when non smoking section ends and smoking starts are just one table apart

once we saw someone take an ashtray off a smoking table and move it to where there were sitting in the non area

ok sure glad all is smoke free and has been for a long time--

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter