Woman falls overboard from Norwegian Star, rescued alive 10 hours later

Wow she seems pretty calm about the whole thing. So was she sitting on the railing? I can’t imagine she was sitting just in a chair and went over but I guess in very rough seas it could happen? (Every cruise I have done with rough waters though they close the deck. Idk about midnight but I’d assume the same). Will be interesting to see the further details come out (if any do!). Very glad she is safe and sound!

It's practically impossible to "fall" off a cruise ship, unless you are somewhere you aren't supposed to be (like sitting on the railing), often with too much alcohol involved.

THIS. I absolutely agree with this! The railings are SO high that someone HAS to be doing something they should not be to "fall". Every single time I read about someone "falling" off of a cruise ship, I think what PrincessShmoo wrote, or that someone helped them over. If you're feet are on deck it's pretty much not possible to ever fall overboard. :rolleyes2

We were on the Disney Dream when someone fell/jumped overboard. I thought treading water for 90 minutes was impressive, but 10 and 22 hours...I guess however they ended up in the water they found their will to live.

She seems in pretty good shape for someone who fell off a cruise ship and treaded water for 10 hours....I just can’t imagine walking around all perky after experiencing something like that.

THIS. I absolutely agree with this! The railings are SO high that someone HAS to be doing something they should not be to "fall". Every single time I read about someone "falling" off of a cruise ship, I think what Princess Shmoo wrote, or that someone helped them over. If you're feet are on deck it's pretty much not possible to ever fall overboard. :rolleyes2

The sad part is that some people who have never cruised before will think their own lives are in danger and become even more paranoid. My former dtr-in-law was so worried about losing my grand kids, but once she saw the railings she just laughed off her fears.

Yeah...no. Just saw an interview with her. She was "sitting at the back of the deck and...". She didn't really finish. She looked like she just came from the spa not from treading water for 10 hours. Don't think we'll ever get all the "facts". ALL cruisers KNOW you don't just FALL overboard.

Last edited:
The sad part is that some people who have never cruised before will think their own lives are in danger and become even more paranoid. My former dtr-in-law was so worried about losing my grand kids, but once she saw the railings she just laughed off her fears.

And that is sad, isn't it? I also have talked to folks after one of these "overboard" incidents, who were truly frightened that they could "fall" off of a cruise ship.

"I fell off of the back of the Norwegian Star...." Sounds a little fishy to me. It's practically impossible to "fall" off a cruise ship, unless you are somewhere you aren't supposed to be (like sitting on the railing), often with too much alcohol involved.

I find it interesting that she has declined to give any comments about how it happened. Probably for liability reasons. But, yeah, you don't just suddenly tip overboard when you're just out and about.

I don’t know that it is totally unreasonable to worry. My six year olds kept trying to climb up on the rails to get a better view no matter how many times I told them not too. They were just too excited.

Strange. People don't just fall overboard without either a little help or they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing. Those rails are too high to just simply fall over.

I don’t know that it is totally unreasonable to worry. My six year olds kept trying to climb up on the rails to get a better view no matter how many times I told them not too. They were just too excited.

THAT gives this mom cold chills!!! :scared1: I can tell you that I took my 2 little grand princesses on a 4 night Dream cruise a few years ago. They were like 4 & 6. The younger is a VERY fearless and adventurous child. We had a Cat 4. I took them on the verandah and had a super serious talk with them about how they were to NEVER climb on the chairs or table on the verandah and that if they did, they would NOT be allowed out there again with me or my DH.

We walked back inside the room for a while, then I took the girls back out to the verandah to watch for dolphins since we were still in port. In a second, there goes the little one, climbing up on the very chair she had just been gravely warned NOT to! Little hands reaching up to get the rail. I grabbed her and had her back inside the room so fast she didn't know WHAT was going on! Mercy! Needless to say, she got a very stern talking to and missed out on a few things her sister got to do for her disobedience. I could have throttled her! Plus it scared the stuffings out of me!

She was so small that even if she could have reached the rail, she would not have been too high, but YIKES.

Bottom line, I am SO thankful for the way DCL has done the doors to verandahs! For those that do not know, they are hard to slide open for one, then they have a lock that must be turned that is like almost eye level for me, and I am not petite. So one must turn the lever on the door to unlock lock #1, AND turn the high lock, as well as heave the door open.

I don't think you'll manage if you tread water, I think your only change for that long is to float
The water is currently 80 degrees in the Adriatic Sea. It's salt water with a higher salt content than the Atlantic or Pacific. So your body would be pushed up. So yes, I doubt she had to tread water for hours and hours, if she was smart, she would just flip on her back and float.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter