WOC Help

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I’m sure this has been asked several times before, but I really need help with what we should do about WOC. We have reservations for DCA for July 2nd, so it’s 4th of July week and I just don’t know what to expect as far as crowds. I’ve read to expect it to be super crowded and then I’ve read that a lot of the season passes (or whatever they are called) are blacked out and to expect it to not be as busy as other times throughout the year.

Back to WOC, we can book the dessert party, but for four adults it’s expensive. I’m leaning toward the VQ, but we’d like to see the second show and I’ve read we can’t pick which show we’d see when using the VQ. I keep reading things about blue side/yellow side, first tier/second tier, etc. and none of this makes any sense to me because this is our first visit to the Disneyland parks. Do you think we should forget about getting VQ and just stand in the stand-by area for the second show? We really have no idea what to do or what to expect. If anyone has any tips and/or advice, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Is this your first time seeing WOC/going to DCA/DL? Do you think you will be back anytime soon after or likely will be years? For us the Dessert Package is the only way we will do it since we are from FL and don't get to go a ton, last time was 5 years ago (we are going this summer). The guarenteed seat, not have to stand smooshed in and a good view is worth it to me. I don't like ending up being stuck behind a tall person and not see well. If we went more often I would just deal and hope for the best since the dessert is too expensive for frequent visits.

Is this your first time seeing WOC/going to DCA/DL? Do you think you will be back anytime soon after or likely will be years? For us the Dessert Package is the only way we will do it since we are from FL and don't get to go a ton, last time was 5 years ago (we are going this summer). The guarenteed seat, not have to stand smooshed in and a good view is worth it to me. I don't like ending up being stuck behind a tall person and not see well. If we went more often I would just deal and hope for the best since the dessert is too expensive for frequent visits.

This is our first time going to the Disneyland parks and we have no plans to return anytime soon. We’re from PA so it is more practical for us to go to Disney World. You made some valid points and maybe I should just suck it up and pay for the dessert party experience.

This is our first time going to the Disneyland parks and we have no plans to return anytime soon. We’re from PA so it is more practical for us to go to Disney World. You made some valid points and maybe I should just suck it up and pay for the dessert party experience.

We are going this July (5 people) and will suck it up and pay the cost....Ill cringe but know it will make it so much more enjoyable. The last time we did in 2019 it was so nice to just be able to sit..LOL.

Hi!

I’m sure this has been asked several times before, but I really need help with what we should do about WOC. We have reservations for DCA for July 2nd, so it’s 4th of July week and I just don’t know what to expect as far as crowds. I’ve read to expect it to be super crowded and then I’ve read that a lot of the season passes (or whatever they are called) are blacked out and to expect it to not be as busy as other times throughout the year.

Back to WOC, we can book the dessert party, but for four adults it’s expensive. I’m leaning toward the VQ, but we’d like to see the second show and I’ve read we can’t pick which show we’d see when using the VQ. I keep reading things about blue side/yellow side, first tier/second tier, etc. and none of this makes any sense to me because this is our first visit to the Disneyland parks. Do you think we should forget about getting VQ and just stand in the stand-by area for the second show? We really have no idea what to do or what to expect. If anyone has any tips and/or advice, I’d greatly appreciate it.
I'm going to jump in to offer my opinion, which is that I don't believe the dessert party is necessary in your situation. If you want the second show, then you can keep checking the virtual queue after it opens until the first show runs out and the second show opens up.

The dessert party is very popular on these boards. Frankly, I don't get it. It's nearly $100 per person. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS PER PERSON!! Yes, you do get to sit, and you're given desserts and beverages. It may also be less stressful than jockeying for a spot. I can't get over the way many people start lining up at 6:30 pm to get on the wait list for a high top table - this is nearly 3 hours before the 9:15 show - all after paying nearly $100 per person for the privilege!

For my family (with two young kids), we do the virtual queue and try to find a spot near the back of the viewing area for an easy exit. We do not put our kids on our shoulders and block other peoples view. We just accept that we will have a less than ideal view of the show, but we can also show up 15-20 minutes in advance and exit faster to the hotel. Much of the show happens above people's heads and the people in front of you are lower due to the way the viewing area is set up. Is it a compromise? Absolutely, and it's one that works well for us but other people clearly think differently.

This is my personal subjective opinion. Many other people will surely disagree about the dessert party - that's great as we can all be right about this because it's based on personal tastes, preferences and experiences. I'm just jumping in to add that I don't think you need to do it in your personal situation, but I'm sure you'll have a great time if you do. In general, the second showing of any nighttime event at DL is much less crowded than the first and there are fewer kids.

In terms of crowds on 7/2, you are correct that some of the lowest passes are blocked out. It will make your trip better, however it's ALWAYS crowded at DL. The crowds fluctuate and are different, with 7/2 having more out of town tourists spending money for things like Genie+. The fact you're going in with a plan puts you ahead of most other people. You will have a great time. I will be there in July too and it's my favorite time of year.

I'm going to jump in to offer my opinion, which is that I don't believe the dessert party is necessary in your situation. If you want the second show, then you can keep checking the virtual queue after it opens until the first show runs out and the second show opens up.

The dessert party is very popular on these boards. Frankly, I don't get it. It's nearly $100 per person. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS PER PERSON!! Yes, you do get to sit, and you're given desserts and beverages. It may also be less stressful than jockeying for a spot. I can't get over the way many people start lining up at 6:30 pm to get on the wait list for a high top table - this is nearly 3 hours before the 9:15 show - all after paying nearly $100 per person for the privilege!

For my family (with two young kids), we do the virtual queue and try to find a spot near the back of the viewing area for an easy exit. We do not put our kids on our shoulders and block other peoples view. We just accept that we will have a less than ideal view of the show, but we can also show up 15-20 minutes in advance and exit faster to the hotel. Much of the show happens above people's heads and the people in front of you are lower due to the way the viewing area is set up. Is it a compromise? Absolutely, and it's one that works well for us but other people clearly think differently.

This is my personal subjective opinion. Many other people will surely disagree about the dessert party - that's great as we can all be right about this because it's based on personal tastes, preferences and experiences. I'm just jumping in to add that I don't think you need to do it in your personal situation, but I'm sure you'll have a great time if you do. In general, the second showing of any nighttime event at DL is much less crowded than the first and there are fewer kids.

In terms of crowds on 7/2, you are correct that some of the lowest passes are blocked out. It will make your trip better, however it's ALWAYS crowded at DL. The crowds fluctuate and are different, with 7/2 having more out of town tourists spending money for things like Genie+. The fact you're going in with a plan puts you ahead of most other people. You will have a great time. I will be there in July too and it's my favorite time of year.

I think for us it comes down to the sit and the view. I am short and just want to see easily, its not a park we get to go to often so for the once every 5+ plus years its worth it to us. Plus it is so nice to not be smooshed in tight with others.

But yes there are other ways to see the show if okay with the possiblity of a less than great view.

Thank you for your post! This is just what I was looking for!

We did a dessert party once at WDW years ago, and while we liked it, to this day I still don't feel there was any value in it, which is why I'm having a hard time convincing myself to pay the price for this dessert party. I know having a seat is nice, but we will be okay. I'll just have to plan for time to rest my legs throughout the day, lol.

Two quick questions
1. When you say you try to find a spot near the back of the viewing area, can you elaborate on that a little more? I think this is where my confusion is coming. I have no idea where the viewing area is and how it is set up. I guess what I am asking is will I know where the back of the viewing area is?
2. When I'm on the app trying to book a VQ, can I see if I'm booking a VQ for the second show? If the VQ opens at 12:00, should I try to be on it by 12:01 or does it take a little longer to fill up? My only experience with a VQ is at WDW where the VQ can be gone within seconds.

Thank you for your help!

I’m not a big dessert party person, with the exception of WDW MK fireworks, because I never want to be caught in that crush of humanity ever again. Some people love the WOC party because of the actual seat, so determining how important that is to you is key. For us and @ $100pp I’d rather use that toward a true after hours event, for example.

We have always had great luck with the VQ for WOC. Instead of stressing about which showtime I suggest simply booking it when it opens (1:00 I believe?) and then going to an umbrella to ask if can be switched to the later show if you got the first one. As others have said the later show is always lower in attendance so I think this would be an easy swap.

As for location, there are a few different “zones” but we always opt for the splash zone up front. Never have gotten wet other than a light misting, and people seem to avoid it for other areas that have a quicker exit (not an issue for us as we’ll wait out the crowds or how on rides if the earlier show.) on July you wouldn’t have to worry about it being cold so could be another option for you. Enjoy whatever you decide!

We did a dessert party once at WDW years ago, and while we liked it, to this day I still don't feel there was any value in it, which is why I'm having a hard time convincing myself to pay the price for this dessert party. I know having a seat is nice, but we will be okay. I'll just have to plan for time to rest my legs throughout the day, lol.

Two quick questions
1. When you say you try to find a spot near the back of the viewing area, can you elaborate on that a little more? I think this is where my confusion is coming. I have no idea where the viewing area is and how it is set up. I guess what I am asking is will I know where the back of the viewing area is?
2. When I'm on the app trying to book a VQ, can I see if I'm booking a VQ for the second show? If the VQ opens at 12:00, should I try to be on it by 12:01 or does it take a little longer to fill up? My only experience with a VQ is at WDW where the VQ can be gone within seconds.

Thank you for your help!

The VQ for WOC is not like ride VQs- it isn't gone in seconds. It's still available right now for tonight's single showing 2hrs after the VQ opened and is for blue or yellow section (they aren't separated- I'm not sure if they still separate them when it's busier but I've seen it like this several times lately). Granted- it's a somewhat slower time at the parks right now but you get the idea. You do not have to be at or scanned into the parks to see the VQ status in the app. You will be able to tell what showing and what section is currently available in the VQ when you go to book it (you just can't actually book anything if you don't have an eligible ticket). If you want the later show, just check back a little later. You can try monitoring the VQ in the days leading up to your visit to get a sense approximately what time it's switching over to the later show.

I'm a HUGE dessert party fan, but it is expensive and it is certainly possible to just do walk up or VQ as well, especially for the second show. If you were to decide to do the dessert party (which is different from WDW ones where you eat in one place and then get access to a viewing area- for this one you eat at your table in the viewing area) there is ZERO reason to show up 3hrs early which was described in a previous post.

The viewing area is in front of Ariel-the tiered section you can see below. I don't have the most current layout of where the dessert party is vs. the dining package sections vs yellow and blue. Standby is generally around the edges/in the back as well as onto the boardwalk (the long walkway heading off towards Lamplight Lounge. Personally I don't recommend this view as it's a bit too off to the side for my liking). I had a VQ for second show in December and ended up walking up for standby about 15 min before the first show and got a good spot. That spot got even better when about 5 min before showtime they let all the people in standby into the yellow and blue sections as they were not at all full despite the VQ having "sold out".

1705960848682.png

Two quick questions

Thank you for your help!
Happy to help!

1. There are only two colored entrance areas. One is across from the Little Mermaid entrance closer to the Pixar Pier bridge. The other entrance is closer to the Golden Zephyr, across from the Sea Side Souvenirs (near the Grand Cal Pixar Place Hotel entrance). I have found that they often do not care which one you go into, regardless of what your virtual queue says. The second show in particular is much calmer and laid back. It's quite possible there's ample room in the viewing area even in July. Once you enter the viewing area, you walk down the tiered sections. There are ropes separating various parts along with some landscaping. There's going to be a "back" section on the right or the left once you enter. You can try walking all the way down towards the front (furthest from the back) which is the "splash zone" and also likely more crowded (maybe not right up front).

2. It will not fill up quickly, especially not the second show. You can do what the previous poster mentioned and get a first show VQ and ask for the second show. There's a high likelihood the second show doesn't even fill up - even during the week of July 4th. DLR is much more chill and laid back about things like this. I would, however, still recommend getting the VQ just for peace of mind.

One other quick comment. Yes, it will likely be warm in July but it can be and often is "cool" at night even in the middle of summer. It depends what you are used to, but if coming from anywhere in the eastern 2/3 of the US where it's warm and humid even at night, SoCal stays relatively cool a lot of the time once the sun goes down and especially if there's a foggy pattern in place. Just check the weather once you get closer as there's no way to know in advance (it could be in the 90's and not cool off as much at night).

Last edited:
The VQ for WOC is not like ride VQs- it isn't gone in seconds. It's still available right now for tonight's single showing 2hrs after the VQ opened and is for blue or yellow section (they aren't separated- I'm not sure if they still separate them when it's busier but I've seen it like this several times lately). Granted- it's a somewhat slower time at the parks right now but you get the idea. You do not have to be at or scanned into the parks to see the VQ status in the app. You will be able to tell what showing and what section is currently available in the VQ when you go to book it (you just can't actually book anything if you don't have an eligible ticket). If you want the later show, just check back a little later. You can try monitoring the VQ in the days leading up to your visit to get a sense approximately what time it's switching over to the later show.

I'm a HUGE dessert party fan, but it is expensive and it is certainly possible to just do walk up or VQ as well, especially for the second show. If you were to decide to do the dessert party (which is different from WDW ones where you eat in one place and then get access to a viewing area- for this one you eat at your table in the viewing area) there is ZERO reason to show up 3hrs early which was described in a previous post.

The viewing area is in front of Ariel-the tiered section you can see below. I don't have the most current layout of where the dessert party is vs. the dining package sections vs yellow and blue. Standby is generally around the edges/in the back as well as onto the boardwalk (the long walkway heading off towards Lamplight Lounge. Personally I don't recommend this view as it's a bit too off to the side for my liking). I had a VQ for second show in December and ended up walking up for standby about 15 min before the first show and got a good spot. That spot got even better when about 5 min before showtime they let all the people in standby into the yellow and blue sections as they were not at all full despite the VQ having "sold out".

View attachment 827911
Thank you for pointing out that I can check the VQ on the app. I had no idea. I just checked now and it is still open for tonight's show. Now that I know I can do this, I'll be checking a few days before our DCA day. Thanks also for including the map above. It is so helpful!

Happy to help!

1. There are only two colored entrance areas. One is across from the Little Mermaid entrance closer to the Pixar Pier bridge. The other entrance is closer to the Golden Zephyr, across from the Sea Side Souvenirs (near the Grand Cal Pixar Place Hotel entrance). I have found that they often do not care which one you go into, regardless of what your virtual queue says. The second show in particular is much calmer and laid back. It's quite possible there's ample room in the viewing area even in July. Once you enter the viewing area, you walk down the tiered sections. There are ropes separating various parts along with some landscaping. There's going to be a "back" section on the right or the left once you enter. You can try walking all the way down towards the front (furthest from the back) which is the "splash zone" and also likely more crowded (maybe not right up front).

2. It will not fill up quickly, especially not the second show. You can do what the previous poster mentioned and get a first show VQ and ask for the second show. There's a high likelihood the second show doesn't even fill up - even during the week of July 4th. DLR is much more chill and laid back about things like this. I would, however, still recommend getting the VQ just for peace of mind.

One other quick comment. Yes, it will likely be warm in July but it can be and often is "cool" at night even in the middle of summer. It depends what you are used to, but if coming from anywhere in the eastern 2/3 of the US where it's warm and humid even at night, SoCal stays relatively cool a lot of the time once the sun goes down and especially if there's a foggy pattern in place. Just check the weather once you get closer as there's no way to know in advance (it could be in the 90's and not cool off as much at night).
I appreciate your detailed description. I literally was looking at the map in the app as I was reading what you wrote and it certainly helps me visualize things better and know more what to expect. Thank you!

We will definitely try for a VQ and I like knowing that I can probably change it to the second show if I get one for the first show. As I'm researching more and more, I'm learning that Disneyland is more laid back than WDW and I'm really liking it!

Thanks for the tip about the temperatures. We are from PA so very familiar with heat and humidity. We do plan on packing some warmer clothing because we'll be in San Francisco and Yosemite before making our way to Disneyland, but I honestly hadn't thought about possibly needing a sweatshirt or something a little warmer for the evenings. I'll make a note to check the weather. I will say, it sounds heavenly to be a little on the cooler side in Disneyland in July vs. sweating the minute I walk out the door in Disney World, which is always, always the case when we visit since we always go in the summer.

Thanks for your help! It is much appreciated!

I appreciate your detailed description. I literally was looking at the map in the app as I was reading what you wrote and it certainly helps me visualize things better and know more what to expect. Thank you!

We will definitely try for a VQ and I like knowing that I can probably change it to the second show if I get one for the first show. As I'm researching more and more, I'm learning that Disneyland is more laid back than WDW and I'm really liking it!

Thanks for the tip about the temperatures. We are from PA so very familiar with heat and humidity. We do plan on packing some warmer clothing because we'll be in San Francisco and Yosemite before making our way to Disneyland, but I honestly hadn't thought about possibly needing a sweatshirt or something a little warmer for the evenings. I'll make a note to check the weather. I will say, it sounds heavenly to be a little on the cooler side in Disneyland in July vs. sweating the minute I walk out the door in Disney World, which is always, always the case when we visit since we always go in the summer.

Thanks for your help! It is much appreciated!
Even if it's hot at DLR when you're there, it's as they say a "dry" heat compared to PA. Is it as dry as Arizona? No, but it's dry compared to what you're used to!

FYI for San Francisco - expect it to be COLD when you go. It often is downright chilly in SF during the summer. Bring clothes even heavier than a sweatshirt. It will warm up near the bay during the afternoon (downtown SF, Fisherman's Wharf) and other parts of the Bay Area get warmer during the day. SF itself is cold, especially in the sunset district on the west side of the city near Ocean Beach. Be prepared! I grew up in the Bay Area and suffered through many nighttime Giants games at the old Candlestick park and the current stadium! I never could understand why tourists were buying jackets at Fisherman's Wharf. Now that I live in the eastern part of the country I get it!

Unless you happen to be on SF in a rare heat wave (more common in late summer/fall) it can be Cold! Lots of micro climates as well in SF. I always get a chuckle out of tourists freezing as they had no idea how cold SF can get in the summer. But I love that Marine Layer! Natures AC. If that marine layer is super thick you won’t see it burn off at all! “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco “ falsely attributed to Mark Twain, but it’s not a far stretch!

As for WOC, we’re a desert party group. We’ve done the VQ with our little ones. Sat on a blanket for an hour waiting for the show that I got to see and my shorter better half and our kids kinda sorta got to see. The cost/value is worth it for us and the kids to have a great view, seats where we can come and go, drinks and deserts. But everyone is different!

I just got back from a first trip and we debated the options for WOC. We looked at the dessert party, and although it guarantees a seat, it felt expensive for what was included. It was very easy to join the virtual queue, I think especially if you want the second show. However, we ended up doing the dining package with Wine Country Trattoria - we made a reservation, and just asked when we checked in if we could do the dining package. It included an appetizer, entree, and dessert for $62/person. They asked which show we wanted to go to and gave us tickets to enter the dining package designated viewing area. It was very chill in the area, we showed up about 15 minutes before the show and just sat on the steps until it started and everyone stood up.

It wound up being a good option for us - by the time we added wine ( we both got a flight), tax and tip it was probably a little more expensive than the dessert party, but we had a great meal and a good viewing spot. I think you can also do it at Storytellers Cafe.

Even if it's hot at DLR when you're there, it's as they say a "dry" heat compared to PA. Is it as dry as Arizona? No, but it's dry compared to what you're used to!

FYI for San Francisco - expect it to be COLD when you go. It often is downright chilly in SF during the summer. Bring clothes even heavier than a sweatshirt. It will warm up near the bay during the afternoon (downtown SF, Fisherman's Wharf) and other parts of the Bay Area get warmer during the day. SF itself is cold, especially in the sunset district on the west side of the city near Ocean Beach. Be prepared! I grew up in the Bay Area and suffered through many nighttime Giants games at the old Candlestick park and the current stadium! I never could understand why tourists were buying jackets at Fisherman's Wharf. Now that I live in the eastern part of the country I get it!

I’ve heard that SF can be cold even in the summer. We are going to a Giants game that starts at 6:45pm. I’m definitely packing warm clothing.

I just got back from a first trip and we debated the options for WOC. We looked at the dessert party, and although it guarantees a seat, it felt expensive for what was included. It was very easy to join the virtual queue, I think especially if you want the second show. However, we ended up doing the dining package with Wine Country Trattoria - we made a reservation, and just asked when we checked in if we could do the dining package. It included an appetizer, entree, and dessert for $62/person. They asked which show we wanted to go to and gave us tickets to enter the dining package designated viewing area. It was very chill in the area, we showed up about 15 minutes before the show and just sat on the steps until it started and everyone stood up.

It wound up being a good option for us - by the time we added wine ( we both got a flight), tax and tip it was probably a little more expensive than the dessert party, but we had a great meal and a good viewing spot. I think you can also do it at Storytellers Cafe.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter