WL vs AKL 2019

If you had to choose, which one?

• ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE

• Wilderness Lodge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cajun23

Mouseketeer
I know i had come across a post like this previously but having trouble finding it.

Next March we are debating between Wilderness Lodge Standard Room vs Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard Room for a 8 day trip. We are a family of 4 with a set of twins that will be 5 at that time. I would like to get everyone's pros vs cons with people that have experienced both.

We love the theme of AK and the kids love animals. Downsides i see are that we will spend a majority of the time in MK and my wife and DD aren't adventurous eaters so the spices and cuisine is a concern also.

I like the theme of WL just not sure about the kids. For the most part, we are city folks. I hear the boat makes it convienence for MK but my wife wasn't a fan of Whispering Canyon on a previous trip.

I appreciate all and any thoughts and opinions in advance.

If your wife didn't like WCC, your other TS option at WL is signature (artist point) or "lounge." So, keep that in mind. The QS options aren't too adventurous at AKL (IMO.) So the difference really comes down to TS. I'm not an adventurous eater, either, but I did enjoy the food at AKL. Having said that, I also liked WCC, so, YMMV.

I would vote for AKL. I give it the edge in views, rooms, resort activities and pool.

If you are going to be spending most of your time at MK, then you will really appreciate the boat transportation from WL. It will make life easier. AKL is much more removed from MK. You can also easily get to the monorail resorts and MK for food options from WL, plus the kids might enjoy going over to the Fort Wilderness campgrounds - they have pony riding and the BBQ - also a boat ride away.

I would pick WL if you are spending the majority of your time in MK. AKL is not convenient to MK at all. We stayed at WL in December for a week and ate at WCC once (we prefer breakfast over the other meals). We loved Geyser Point and ate there a few times. You also have the boat to CR and Ft. W so can easily access the restaurants there.

Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I have seen people mention a couple times about boat rides and i have a couple questions regarding it.

How long does someone typically have to wait between boat pickups? Meaning, if you are waiting for a boat but you can't get on because it is full, how long is the wait typically for the next one?
How long is the ride to MK?
Does the boat run just to MK or does it directly run to any other places? (Ex: FW, CR, Poly, GR, Contemp)

If planning mostly MK days I’d stay at WL. The bus ride from AKL to MK is looong. The bus from WL to MK is 5 minutes, tops. The boats run on a pretty continuous cycle so if you miss One you will probably only wait 15 minutes or less for the next one, or at least that’s been our experience. We also love having easy access to FW and all the activities there Andy the monorail resorts as well.

If planning multiple resort days then AKL is the winner, hands-down. So much to do there and so many daily activities for kids. But if you are planning all resort time or maybe just 1 resort day then you will miss that stuff anyway. Also, the animals are not always out/active early morning or once it’s dark. So there’s that to consider as well.

Both resorts are wonderful and we’ve enjoyed both, but the proximity to parks/resorts puts WL ahead of AKL in our book. Unless we are skipping parks, then AKL.

Thank you everyone for all of the replies. I have seen people mention a couple times about boat rides and i have a couple questions regarding it.

How long does someone typically have to wait between boat pickups? Meaning, if you are waiting for a boat but you can't get on because it is full, how long is the wait typically for the next one?
How long is the ride to MK?
Does the boat run just to MK or does it directly run to any other places? (Ex: FW, CR, Poly, GR, Contemp)
Boat ride to MK is about 15-20 minutes. We like taking it back from MK. Bus gets you there super fast.
There is a MK dedicated boat and a boat that goes from Contemporary to WL to FW. Makes monorail resort hopping/getting to ADRs at those resorts easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter