WL rooms?

mom22boys

DIS Veteran
Are WL rooms feeling worn down? I have always wanted to stay there, but recently I find myself waiting for the rooms to have a soft good refurbishment. Am I waiting unnecessarily? Thanks!

I'm a huge WL fan! My favorite resort on property. We stay often, but still visit every trip that we are not staying at that resort.

In the past several years we have been fortunate enough to stay at most of the WDW resorts. Both in refurbished rooms and non-refurbished rooms. After staying in quite a few newly renovated rooms in other resorts (Value, Moderate and Deluxe) I have to admit that the rooms in the WL are due for a little refurbishment.

We stayed for a week in June in a nature view room and it was a small let down to us after staying in newly renovated rooms at POP, CSR and YC in the couple trips prior. Still had a great time, but after having the new touches some of the newer refurbishments are providing (no carpet, more counter space at the tv area) we kind of missed them.

buckeyeguy1, I think you perfectly described my concern. In January we stayed at the YC and the rooms were amazing! I would hate to stay at WL and be disappointed.

I have stayed at all the refurbed resorts in the last year (aside from Coronado) and have stayed at WL. While WL isn't bright, shiny and new they are better than some others I have stayed at in the last year (it's a good think AKL is getting a refresh, it was badly needed). You also have to remember the setting, it's not a "fancy" hotel and is meant to be more rustic. When you start comparing it to others with a different style and setting it could look a bit worn even if it were freshened up. That being said, I'm sure it will be on the refurb list before too long once places like AKL are finished. I choose to think of it like a rustic retreat so it fits that bill, and obviously some rooms will be more worn than others, but I still don't see it as horribly run down in the least bit. I'm happily staying there next Christmas whether they get a refurb or not.

I choose to think of it like a rustic retreat

Great point!

it's a good think AKL is getting a refresh, it was badly needed

Funny that you mention AKL. I think that has something to do with my worry about WL. We stayed at AKL in January 2018, and I was a little disappointed in the room. It felt small and dark to me. The lighting in the bathroom was so poor. I know that my opinion is probably unpopular. But, I am looking forward to trying AKL again now that the rooms have been refurbished. :)

Last edited:
Great point!

Funny that you mention AKL. I think that has something to do with my worry about WL. We stayed at AKL in January 2018, and I was a little disappointed in the room. It felt small and dark to me. The lighting in the bathroom was so poor. I know that my opinion is probably unpopular. But I am looking forward to trying AKL again now that the rooms have been refurbished. :)
We stayed at AKL this past June. I do agree with the lighting in the bathroom. I had one of those makeup mirrors that have the suction cups on it. I ended up putting it on the balcony sliding door to be able to see :rotfl2:.

We went in April and weren’t disappointed. It’s my husband’s favorite resort though. We didn’t stay in the room much though - used the pool a lot though lol and it was wonderful

As someone who just checked out of WL today and checked into AKL today as well- WL probably a once and done for us. The staff was horrible from start to finish- from Lexi at the front desk who barely acknowledged us and didn’t set up our PIN numbers or ask for a cell number for when our room was ready to text us. She also said the only way to transfer luggage from one resort to another was doing it ourself with a taxi or Minnie van (this is absolutely wrong and in my opinion way below Disney standards.) We asked bell services and before even offering luggage transfer they asked if we had a car?!?!? Hello if we had a car why would be asking about luggage transfer. We then used luggage transfer and as of 4:15 AKL made it sound like WL was the only one who hasn’t done luggage transfer yet today So we are without our bags at new resort

The room- we stayed boulder ridge villas, they were nice but run down for sure! We were on the first floor so we had a patio, we had the door open for approximately 3-4 minutes when security and a Disney staff member told us we weren’t allowed to have our door open - so I pay you thousands and I can’t keep a door open and enjoy the fresh air. We then turned down mouse keeping as we just wanted to relax in the room , within 20 minutes another knock on door in which a man was there who demanded he enter the room for inspection and trash! I have never felt so intimidated all because we didn’t want the bed made or needed new towels- I’ve never been treated like that anywhere. Needless to say from top to bottom WL is a big NO for me. They also have broken soda machines where they don’t read the rfid so people were filling up bottles and cups at their pleasure. It needs a referb from rooms to cast members

If you want to stay at WL, I would stay at Copper Creek in a Studio. That portion of the resort opened in 2017 so everything is newer.

Great point!

Funny that you mention AKL. I think that has something to do with my worry about WL. We stayed at AKL in January 2018, and I was a little disappointed in the room. It felt small and dark to me. The lighting in the bathroom was so poor. I know that my opinion is probably unpopular. But, I am looking forward to trying AKL again now that the rooms have been refurbished. :)

I really like the WL resort but, in my opinion, they are in the same shape as your AKL room from 2018, this is especially apparent if you go from a Copper Creek room to a regular WL room, the regular room feels quite worn. The YC rooms are my favorite that I have stayed in on property recently!

The WL Villa's rooms are great! Not a huge fan of the regular rooms but the Boulder Ridge Villa's at WL are great!

As someone who just checked out of WL today and checked into AKL today as well- WL probably a once and done for us. The staff was horrible from start to finish- from Lexi at the front desk who barely acknowledged us and didn’t set up our PIN numbers or ask for a cell number for when our room was ready to text us. She also said the only way to transfer luggage from one resort to another was doing it ourself with a taxi or Minnie van (this is absolutely wrong and in my opinion way below Disney standards.) We asked bell services and before even offering luggage transfer they asked if we had a car?!?!? Hello if we had a car why would be asking about luggage transfer. We then used luggage transfer and as of 4:15 AKL made it sound like WL was the only one who hasn’t done luggage transfer yet today So we are without our bags at new resort

The room- we stayed boulder ridge villas, they were nice but run down for sure! We were on the first floor so we had a patio, we had the door open for approximately 3-4 minutes when security and a Disney staff member told us we weren’t allowed to have our door open - so I pay you thousands and I can’t keep a door open and enjoy the fresh air. We then turned down mouse keeping as we just wanted to relax in the room , within 20 minutes another knock on door in which a man was there who demanded he enter the room for inspection and trash! I have never felt so intimidated all because we didn’t want the bed made or needed new towels- I’ve never been treated like that anywhere. Needless to say from top to bottom WL is a big NO for me. They also have broken soda machines where they don’t read the rfid so people were filling up bottles and cups at their pleasure. It needs a referb from rooms to cast members
I always find it so interesting how different stays can be . I had a week long stay at WL the first week of Sept and had an amazing time. Yes, the room lighting needs improvement and USB ports would be great, but I love the feeling of being apart from everything. I love walking to the boat dock early in the morning while the sun rises

I actually praised the staff. Always had people available to help.I broke my laptop charger and they helped me get a new one. Had Fedex package sent twice, and never an issue. I am not a big foodie, but enjoyed Geysers. The Room service folks were wonderful and the preorder for food worked great. I had a lovely staff member even locate a credit card I had lost for me.

Im sorry you were disappointed. I love the WL and it will always be my go to. Is it a 5 star ? No but then none of the Disney resorts really are, but WL will always be my 1st choice.

I always find it so interesting how different stays can be . I had a week long stay at WL the first week of Sept and had an amazing time. Yes, the room lighting needs improvement and USB ports would be great, but I love the feeling of being apart from everything. I love walking to the boat dock early in the morning while the sun rises

I actually praised the staff. Always had people available to help.I broke my laptop charger and they helped me get a new one. Had Fedex package sent twice, and never an issue. I am not a big foodie, but enjoyed Geysers. The Room service folks were wonderful and the preorder for food worked great. I had a lovely staff member even locate a credit card I had lost for me.

Im sorry you were disappointed. I love the WL and it will always be my go to. Is it a 5 star ? No but then none of the Disney resorts really are, but WL will always be my 1st choice.
My husband loves Geyser as well. He said one of the best burgers he’s ever had was there. I found the staff to be very helpful as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter