WL or AKL - which would you pick and why....

Disney-Kim

DIS Veteran
I am just curious about pros and cons of each.
I know there are huge fans of each.

now....here is another question....which would be your choice if you were to only book a standard view.

thanks,
Kim
:)

I would choose..... BOTH!

We like to split our stays between resorts, and I would have a very difficult time deciding between these two resorts. I understand that you are considering booking standard view rooms; I have never stayed in standard view at either, so I can'ts exactly compare them, but...

Which one appeals more to you? If you like the idea of walking out in the morning and seeing zebras, giraffe, African cattle roaming nearby, if you like the idea of sitting around a fire in the evening and sharing your day's experiences with other guests, if you would like to see a wonderful collection of African art, and if trying Jiko or Boma, AKL's wonderful restaurants appeals to you, and you don't mind being a bit away from the "action" of the themeparks, then choose AKL. But beware; if these things appeal to you, you will most likely spend a LOT of time at the resort, which means time away from the parks.

If a boat ride to MK, the wonderful foods at Artist Point, and the feeling of a gorgeous National Park Lodge appeal to you, choose WL. And for us, it was much easier to leave WL for the parks, and not feel like we were missing something. :)

Personally I would choose AKL, but it would be a tough call. And I would really really try to find the money for a savannah view. :)

This is an easy choice for me. Wilderness Lodge! I've walked around there many, many times, and I love that place. Have never stayed there, but I would love to. AKL is waaaay out in the boondocks, so unless you plan on going to AK a lot, it's great, but it's a heck of a bus ride to all the other parks.

Standard room, deluxe room, who cares....it's Disney! :)

Wilderness lodge for us!!!

We love it there...if they were on the monorail we would never stay anywhere else!!!! We had a standard room and got to see the MK fireworks every night. The lobby is just wonderful, especially during the holiday!

We spend most of our time at the MK and the boat getting there was fun for my girls. Oh, and seeing the water pagent is one more exellent reason to stay there!!!

We found the AKL buses to be very quick and convenient. From my experience, they did not take noticably longer than those at WL.

I kind of like the idea of WL better. I like the idea its on a lake and has the lake activities. plus I like the boat idea to the MK.
but......
I have read bad things about the bus transportation at the WL in the last few months.

and.....are the rooms in need of a rehab? are they getting old?

just curious...thanks ;)

I would choose WL if I could only stay at one, but it would be a really close call.

The rooms at WL are not quite as nice as the AKL rooms, but I would not characterize them as being in need of repair. Just lacked modern amenities like digital thermostats and the cosmetic shelf in the dressing area.

The bus transportation at WL seems to always be hit or miss. To the MK we never had any problems using the launch. To Epcot we used the bus to the TTC so we could ride the monorail (we happen to be monorail fans). No problems with bus to MGM or AK, but the DD bus was a horrible experience. If you are spending more time at MGM/AK/DD than MK/Epcot, go for AKL or rent a car.

We just split our stay between WL and AKL and I have to say that I LOVED AKL!! It was amazing, I just didn't get the same feeling at WL although it is a beautiful resort. Everything about AKL was wonderful, the transportation was great and I liked the poool at AKL better than WL. I also thought Boma alone was worth the stay, so good!!! Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either resort. Have fun planning!

We were just faced with the same question and we chose WL. The deciding factor was the boat to MK... we wouldn't be 100% dependent on buses... if we wanted to ride busses we would stay at a moderate.

Having stayed at both many times I would cast my vote for WL, AK is so far out from all the other activites at the parks and I love being able to take the boat to MK, especially at sunset! It's quite beautiful. Plus I like the pool at WL better, the pool at AK always seemed to be jammed pack. Enjoy your trip.

Just returned from 6 nights at WL, prior to that, 4 nights WL and next year is 8 nights at WL. Can you tell where my vote is going?:cool:

I do agree that you probably can't go wrong with either but AKL is out there. For us, MK is the reason to go to Disney so WL is a no brainer. Just look at where most of your time will be spent and stay at the closest place. Since we are staying for so long next year I just may have to split my stay, maybe 6 WL and 2 AKL. Either way, enjoy.

I started a similar thread about 6 months ago...more along the lines of my wanting to know the differences between the 2 resorts. See, I stayed at WL last year and loved it soooo much but I wanted to try a different deluxe this year. AKL seemed so similar to WL (architecture, etc.) that we decided to stay there in December of this year. People on these boards mainly responded by telling me that both resorts are breath-taking, but AKL has the animals and WL has the water for a beach, pageant, and boat transportation to MK. AKL has its own buses, while WL shares with 2 other resorts. It's a tough call choosing between these 2 resorts. I guess my thoughts are that you can't go wrong whichever you choose. Just decide if you want WL for the body of water or AKL for the animals. We don't let the distance from parks make our decision. To us, 5 or 10 minutes longer/shorter isn't a big deal when we're in DISNEY!

Thanks for all the great replies. I was asking only because there have been so many great rates at the AKL and the WL lately that it might end up being our choice in Feb.

I have honestly always thought that both resorts are "dark" but I listen to everyones opinions and have a more open mind about it. Especially since the Poly is considered "dark" and that has ended up being our favorite resort.

thanks everyone for the help.
Kim;)

Stayed at both -- Love WL -- really liked AKL -- cool to see the animals -- they can be seen with or without savannah view by going out to the different terraces the AKL has -- WL great location -- AKL feels so far from everything IMO since it's set so far back due to animals -- both beautiful decor -- if I had to pick one over the other I personally would pick WL but they are both really nice and if you've stayed at one and not the other than I say try the other.

First of all, I would never book a standard room at AKL -- I truly believe this is a resort you really do need to do 'savannah' for the animals! Isn't that why you are wanting to go there? Anyway, I couldn't since I stayed in a savannah room last two trips-- I can't go back now - my son (11)would never let me!LOL!
Secondly, depending what you want to do would be a deciding factor of WL or AKL. We just stayed @ AKL in July 2 nights and stayed at the pool all day and visited DTD, and that was planned. Now if we wanted to do MK I would definitely stay WL.
When I stay AKL I really don't plan any park, unless AK or just do Downtown Disney area and enjoy this awesome resort!
hope I helped some!:cool:

okay now I thinking how pretty the WL is and how its close to the MK. :rolleyes:

good thing I have till next Feb to make these decisions.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter