Without telling your age, what is something from your childhood that kids today wouldn't know about?

1) Card Catalog
2) Hand crank car windows
3) No Caller ID, you just blindly answered the phone without knowing who it was!
4) Coming home when streetlights came on.
1) Toured the California State Archives and they still use card catalogs. Oh, and their most used collection of books? Phone books. They have every one. People use them for legal and family research.
2) Got rid of my 1987 Suburban 2 years ago. Hand crank windows. My 1965 Mustang has them.
3) Waste of money. Too many people who NEED to get a hold of me have their ID's blocked on both their landlines and cellphones.
4) Street lights? The neighborhood I grew up in still doesn't have street lights or sidewalks. County tried to put them in, residents sued to stop it. They don't want them. Only thing they want is fire hydrants, county refuses to do that. No water district, everyone has their own domestic water well. So it would cost a ton to tie into the nearest public water district.

1) Toured the California State Archives and they still use card catalogs. Oh, and their most used collection of books? Phone books. They have every one. People use them for legal and family research.
2) Got rid of my 1987 Suburban 2 years ago. Hand crank windows. My 1965 Mustang has them.
3) Waste of money. Too many people who NEED to get a hold of me have their ID's blocked on both their landlines and cellphones.
4) Street lights? The neighborhood I grew up in still doesn't have street lights or sidewalks. County tried to put them in, residents sued to stop it. They don't want them. Only thing they want is fire hydrants, county refuses to do that. No water district, everyone has their own domestic water well. So it would cost a ton to tie into the nearest public water district.

1) My local library does it all on computer.
2) Crank windows are great, I miss them. Last time I had those was back in 1995 with my Mazda Miata. Loved that little car.
3) Included with my phone, no charge!
4) Every neighborhood is different. No street lights in my new neighborhood either. But the pure freedom of being out with friends, no "play dates" just a friend knocking on your front door asking you to come out and play. All you simply did was ask your parents if you could go outside with "so and so." It wasn't a detailed account of every action, outside was all you said. I am sad most kids today don't have that kind of fun exploring the neighborhood without a care in the world.

Schoolhouse Rock.

Telephone numbers that began with a name (example Howard, Dewey).

Mucilage being a required school supply.

Being chosen to make copies for the class on the blue ink machine that I remember vividly but don't know what they were called. I loved the smell of that ink, but the papers were always printed crooked.

Rabbit fur jackets being all the rage.

This is fun:)
Being able to go out and play all day til dark, and ride my bike through our whole small town. I wasn't allowed past the town city limits.
Mom perming my hair so I would look like Shirely Temple!!! I hated that stinky perm!
Drive in movies.
For special movies, we went to the Palace theatre in downtown. we waited in long lines going around the building to see Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music. The theatre looked like a palace with red velvet draperies, balconies, sweeping staircase to enter. It was really special.
Having to wear those ugly, uncomfortable saddle oxford shoes.
Capezios (shoes with straps across the top). I could go on and on. It was a simpler time. and I wish my kids, grandkids could have experienced the innocence of it all.

Staying up for the late late show with a large bowl of popcorn. No VCRs or ways to record shows for later. You had to watch the commercials.

Neighbours (in the rural area where we lived) had a 2 seater outhouse. Our old house was the first in the area with indoor plumbing. (I'm not that old... the neighbourhood was, lol)

This is fun:)
Being able to go out and play all day til dark, and ride my bike through our whole small town. I wasn't allowed past the town city limits.
Mom perming my hair so I would look like Shirely Temple!!! I hated that stinky perm!
Drive in movies.
For special movies, we went to the Palace theatre in downtown. we waited in long lines going around the building to see Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music. The theatre looked like a palace with red velvet draperies, balconies, sweeping staircase to enter. It was really special.
Having to wear those ugly, uncomfortable saddle oxford shoes.
Capezios (shoes with straps across the top). I could go on and on. It was a simpler time. and I wish my kids, grandkids could have experienced the innocence of it all.
I do too. I grew upon the 40's and 50's when it was a much calmer time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter