With the govt. shutdown has anyone seen anything negative with TSA?

My daughter had no issues out of BDL (CT) Sunday am, she comes home Saturday morning. Does anyone know if Disney is adjusting the time ME will leave your resort to go to MCO? It's usually 3 hours but was wondering if they are being cautious and bringing people earlier. I have to pick up my daughter at BDL Saturday at 1:30 and Bring my Son for his flight to FLL the same afternoon. Lets see if there is a difference in wait times from last week to this week. Then i fly out to Disney on Jan 31st. I really feel bad for these poor people that are working without pay, if you have kids in daycare, families to feed etc it's not easy doing it with 2 paychecks let alone 1 or even none.

Just through MCO security. Our gates were posted as 22-26 min, we are precheck and it took us about 5 min.

We just booked our return trip on ME yesterday, as I had forgotten to do so in advance, and we were still booked on a bus 3 hours prior to our flight.

Even if there is a strike they will NOT stop all air travel.
I haven't checked, but it's possible it's in their contracts not to strike. After the fiasco of the Air Traffic Controllers strike in the 80's lots of things have changed about what some of the Fed employees can and can't do

Its against the law for Federal Employees to go on strike, per the Taft-Hartley Act.

Since this shutdown is now the longest, we're in uncharted territory.

I also read that TSA's absence rate is around 7.7% now.

Something to think about. The VP of NATCA (air traffic control union) says flying is less safe than it was a month ago.

https://www.facebook.com/2135760943412438/posts/2252260535095811/
I wasn't able to watch the Facebook post, lol. I kept getting a total echo.

The posted interview is a union rep doing what a union rep should do in situations like this. She's sticking up for her members.

But the reality is that the ATC folks are not going to work themselves to exhaustion or fly airplanes into each other because they are working without pay. If they are short-staffed because some of their co-workers called in sick, they will simply spread the flights out a little more to ensure safety. That may cause flight delays -- oh well.

If I am flying in the next few days, I understand and respect all the varying points of view about what could happen. But I am much more interested in what is actually happening in the real world. And so far, in this thread, I have not seen one report of any actual impact...nor do I expect to see anything beyond some inconvenienced travelers who had to wait in line a few extra minutes, or whose flight was delayed.

I wasn't able to watch the Facebook post, lol. I kept getting a total echo.

elays -- oh well.

If I am flying in the next few days, I understand and respect all the varying points of view about what could happen. But I am much more interested in what is actually happening in the real world. And so far, in this thread, I have not seen one report of any actual impact...nor do I expect to see anything beyond some inconvenienced travelers who had to wait in line a few extra minutes, or whose flight was delayed.
What's happening in the real world. Very long delays in a few airports at some times.

Atlanta seems to be an issue. Orlando seems to be OK for now.

I’m much more nervous about flying in two weeks due to the shutdown. Not worried about lines at all - I can handle that.

But seeing reports of weapons going through security makes me nervous. And there haven’t been reports of issues with ATC, but I’m concerned.

I’m much more nervous about flying in two weeks due to the shutdown. Not worried about lines at all - I can handle that.

But seeing reports of weapons going through security makes me nervous. And there haven’t been reports of issues with ATC, but I’m concerned.
I just doesn't concern me.
Much like security checks anywhere, 99% of those they find are due to someone forgetting they had it in the first place, not because they have ill intent. We have a close friend who fell in that category. Didn't make his trouble any less mind you but when he tried to bring a gun on the plane it was pure stupidity in that he forgot it was down in the bottom of his backpack. He'd been cleaning out his late father's house and stuck it in there
Same thing about these weapons that have made it through now.

I just doesn't concern me.
Much like security checks anywhere, 99% of those they find are due to someone forgetting they had it in the first place, not because they have ill intent. We have a close friend who fell in that category. Didn't make his trouble any less mind you but when he tried to bring a gun on the plane it was pure stupidity in that he forgot it was down in the bottom of his backpack. He'd been cleaning out his late father's house and stuck it in there
Same thing about these weapons that have made it through now.
That’s a good point!

I’m still going to be nervous about it, but my concerns obviously aren’t super serious since I’m not canceling my trip. :laughing: I’m nervous about everything anyway.

That’s a good point!

I’m still going to be nervous about it, but my concerns obviously aren’t super serious since I’m not canceling my trip. :laughing: I’m nervous about everything anyway.
You and my DH! Thank heavens I'm around to talk him down off the edge of worry. If he can imagine it, he worries about it, even if there is a .000001% of it happening. Wears me out sometimes, even though I realize he can't help it, LOL

....I was wondering about the TSA situation too. Has anyone recently experienced overly long lines at LGA? We are flying JetBlue on Monday at 7AM out of Laguardia and, since we live in NJ, I was wondering what time we should drive to the airport....I was thinking of leaving around 3:30AM - am I being uber cautious?....TIA!

The most recent news item from the air industry unions is kinda stressing me out. I want to believe that they will not keep flying if it gets unsafe, but at the same time, it kind of seems like they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am opting to believe that it's as much a public warning as an actual immediate cause for concern, as the wording especially from the air traffic controllers leads me to think that they are concerned about the ripple effect as well. Man, these people should be getting paid.

The most recent news item from the air industry unions is kinda stressing me out. I want to believe that they will not keep flying if it gets unsafe, but at the same time, it kind of seems like they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am opting to believe that it's as much a public warning as an actual immediate cause for concern, as the wording especially from the air traffic controllers leads me to think that they are concerned about the ripple effect as well. Man, these people should be getting paid.
Just watch your source for these reports. Realize the goal of some is to scare the public with alarmist news. Not everything is really accurately being reported.

Just watch your source for these reports. Realize the goal of some is to scare the public with alarmist news. Not everything is really accurately being reported.

Of course. This was quoted from the unions of the air traffic controllers and flight attendants, I believe. But I also understand that they need to look out for their workers, and statements like these at least draw some attention to what's going on beyond the "they aren't getting paid!" stories.

Of course. This was quoted from the unions of the air traffic controllers and flight attendants, I believe. But I also understand that they need to look out for their workers, and statements like these at least draw some attention to what's going on beyond the "they aren't getting paid!" stories.
Yeah, their #1 agenda is to get their folks back to work. What better way than to scare the begeezus out of the public, so the public goes to their politicians and starts an outcry to FIX IT! so they can feel safe flying again.
he skies survived the air traffic controllers strike in the early 80's and I'm sure they'll make it through this. (It's been so long but seems like they may have brought in military to replace the striking workers)
Of course, it goes without saying that everyone needs to be paid for working and I feel horrible for those that aren't. I'm simply not going to fall for their tactics because the issues with the shutdown are way beyond what anyone in the public can control. Calls to our senators or congressmen aren't going to help

Follow-up: For anyone with early flights out of LaGuardia or afternoon flights out of MCO:

Delta had RIDICULOUSLY long lines to check-in, but JetBlue lines were virtually non-existent (BTW, they are in 2 different terminals). Coming back, MCO was a MADHOUSE with at least an hour wait - thank heavens I had TSA Pre check; went through in less than 15 minutes!

Follow-up: For anyone with early flights out of LaGuardia or afternoon flights out of MCO:

Delta had RIDICULOUSLY long lines to check-in, but JetBlue lines were virtually non-existent (BTW, they are in 2 different terminals). Coming back, MCO was a MADHOUSE with at least an hour wait - thank heavens I had TSA Pre check; went through in less than 15 minutes!

Thanks for the real time update.

One of the best things about staying at Disney, RAC. We'll usually plan a Universal stay at the beginning of a trip simply so we can use RAC going home. If we can't do RAC for some reason we always opt for curbside instead. The inside lines are always so nuts. And I always wonder why others don't go to curbside. This is at most all airports, not just MCO. The airline check-in lines are always crazy at ATL too.

Yeah, their #1 agenda is to get their folks back to work. What better way than to scare the begeezus out of the public, so the public goes to their politicians and starts an outcry to FIX IT! so they can feel safe flying again.
he skies survived the air traffic controllers strike in the early 80's and I'm sure they'll make it through this. (It's been so long but seems like they may have brought in military to replace the striking workers)
Of course, it goes without saying that everyone needs to be paid for working and I feel horrible for those that aren't. I'm simply not going to fall for their tactics because the issues with the shutdown are way beyond what anyone in the public can control. Calls to our senators or congressmen aren't going to help

Air traffic controllers are at work. They just aren’t getting paid.

Many are taking second jobs just to put food on the table (forget their mortgage, that’s not getting paid).

ATC are among the most stressful jobs. Add to that, a second job, taking up another 4-8 hours a day. They aren’t getting the 8 hours a night sleep necessary to function.

Air traffic controllers are at work. They just aren’t getting paid.

Many are taking second jobs just to put food on the table (forget their mortgage, that’s not getting paid).

ATC are among the most stressful jobs. Add to that, a second job, taking up another 4-8 hours a day. They aren’t getting the 8 hours a night sleep necessary to function.
Oh, I do realize that. And I realize that many are calling in because they have to take a 2nd job. Same with TSA agents. They are at work but they are not getting paid and have to often call in so they can do the job that is paying them instead. It's an awful cycle they are stuck in.
What I meant in the comparison was when they couldn't fill all needed shifts is when they used Military (I think). Of course, these guys all got fired for walking out. I worked with some back in the 80's who moved on to different careers since they couldn't work as ATC again, so found the stories interesting. Totally different set of circumstances without question, but similar results on the front lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter