Wishables should be removed based on gambling mechanism - Opinion

So don’t buy them for your child. Just because you think they should be removed doesn’t mean everyone else does.

“I don’t approve of that show, it should be banned.” No just don’t watch it.

“I don’t like the theme of that game, it should be pulled from the shelves.” No don’t buy it.

“I don’t agree with the lyrics of that song, the radio needs to stop playing it.” No you need to change the dial.

If you believe this is normalizing gambling go ahead, keep them out of your house. My house will still be getting them.

So do you believe we should remove other restrictions regarding age and limitations?

There is a variety and wide range of protections in place in the US across various different aspects of daily life. Just saying you can say this is the limit that is fine but self accountability can be extended to many things. Part of the reason there are controls on things is to protect individuals from companies looking to take advantage of human psychology to exploit the individual.

Might be shocking but 100 years ago people fought against child labor laws.

That being said as you say I personally will just avoid it but was bringing forth a perspective some may not see outside of the gaming community and as expected many will push back on regarding self control and self responsibility.

Last edited:
So do you believe we should remove other restrictions regarding age and limitations?
Jumping the shark here.

All of the things mentioned in the post you quoted come with suggestions, not restrictions, on age. In the end, all of those are decided at a parent’s discretion.

Equating opening blind boxes to gambling, drinking, smoking, drugs, even driving are comparing apples to oranges.

All of the things mentioned in the post you quoted come with suggestions, not restrictions, on age. In the end, all of those are decided at a parent’s discretion.

To clarify though there are restrictions regardless of age. As an example gambling in many states not allowed, drinking is restricted in various manners (you are not supposed to be over served even if you are not driving), work place safety requirements, and lots of other aspects of society controlled for an individuals supposed benefit.

A good example of one picking up steam regarding the removal of current restrictions is the removal of laws regarding cannabis.

Incorrect that is a form of gambling but winning money does not need to be a possible outcome. Gambling is simply risking something of value to get something of greater value in return. Hence why there is more direct looks at Loot Boxes in Video Games.
You're entitled to your opinion but you're not entitled to unilaterally change the definition of a word or unilaterally change the law to suit your purposes and then demand I accept it.
Gambling
From Oxford Dictionary.
1. play games of chance for money; bet.
"she was fond of gambling on cards and horses"
2. take risky action in the hope of a desired result.
"the British could only gamble that something would turn up"

Wishables meet neither definition. Buying a Wishable is not a risky action, nor is it playing a game of chance for money.

Further, Wishables don't even meet your overly loose definition which would count investing in even the safest investments as gambling. With the Wishables linked below, You're paying $10 for a plushie, you're getting a $10 plushie for your $10. You're not getting anything of greater value in return and there is no promise nor mention of any possibility of such on Disney's part. Hence why it isn't gambling and is perfectly legal.

https://www.shopdisney.com/disney-p...17913354.html?isProductSearch=0&plpPosition=1Wishables are like any other collectable that you don't know what you're going to get.

Last edited:

To clarify though there are restrictions regardless of age. As an example gambling in many states not allowed, drinking is restricted in various manners (you are not supposed to be over served even if you are not driving), work place safety requirements, and lots of other aspects of society controlled for an individuals supposed benefit.

A good example of one picking up steam regarding the removal of current restrictions is the removal of laws regarding cannabis.
Did you choose to only read half of my post or did you purposely ignore it because it doesn’t fit your narrative? I’ll tell you, deflection doesn’t work. People see right through it.

I’ll try again. The person you quoted didn’t mention any of those things and yet you jumped the shark. And then I CLEARLY spoke to your examples now. They are not comparable to blind bags. You will apparently go to your grave believing they are a form of gambling, but they are not. The person buying them ALWAYS wins. They ALWAYS get what they’ve paid for. The only chance they take is if they get what they want. But they always get something.

Did you choose to only read half of my post or did you purposely ignore it because it doesn’t fit your narrative? I’ll tell you, deflection doesn’t work. People see right through it.

I’ll try again. The person you quoted didn’t mention any of those things and yet you jumped the shark. And then I CLEARLY spoke to your examples now. They are not comparable to blind bags. You will apparently go to your grave believing they are a form of gambling, but they are not. The person buying them ALWAYS wins. The only chance they take is if they get what they want. But they always get something.

Spoiler alert, Keep your eyes where you're going Richie. WATCH OUT FOR THAT PIER RICHIE!!! BOOM!!!!! Happy Days was never the same again.

Last edited:

There is a variety and wide range of protections in place in the US across various different aspects of daily life. Just saying you can say this is the limit that is fine but self accountability can be extended to many things. Part of the reason there are controls on things is to protect individuals from companies looking to take advantage of human psychology to exploit the individual.

Might be shocking but 100 years ago people fought against child labor laws.

That being said as you say I personally will just avoid it but was bringing forth a perspective some may not see outside of the gaming community and as expected many will push back on regarding self control and self responsibility.

Comparing child labor laws and drinking/smoking/gambling age to a stuffed animal is just asinine. Even if it is a stuffed animal you don’t get to choose.

The hill some people choose to make their stand on, I just don’t get it. I can understand posting your opinion, and I thank the OP for clearly labeling it as their “opinion.” But then to keep going when every single post is showing how it’s nothing new, has been around for at least a century with baseball cards. Shows how it’s not a game of risk, because you are paying for a specific type of item and are getting that item, maybe just not the exact one you are hoping for. There is no lose to the blind box situation. You don’t pay money and open the box to nothing, there is always a toy inside. But then to continue to fight and argue. It’s fine to hold your opinion, but when it’s clear no one will be able to convince you otherwise, realize you won’t be able to convince everyone else of your position and let it go.

not entitled to unilaterally change the definition of a word or unilaterally change the law to suit your purposes.

Well I am not changing any law and saying its illegal. I am stating its being looked at specific to loot boxes.

Also per the definition:
take risky action in the hope of a desired result.
No requirement of the outcome to include money. Also no requirement of extent of risk that needs to be taken.

I’ll try again. The person you quoted didn’t mention any of those things and yet you jumped the shark. And then I CLEARLY spoke to your examples now. They are not comparable to blind bags. You will apparently go to your grave believing they are a form of gambling, but they are not. The person buying them ALWAYS wins. They ALWAYS get what they’ve paid for. The only chance they take is if they get what they want. But they always get something.

My response was directed at someone trying to call out the requirement on self responsibility. I am simply stating there is various aspects of life controlled that could be left to self control.

Also what you are describing with always winning is also loot boxes which have been outlawed in certain countries and are undergoing review in most other western countries.

Comparing child labor laws and drinking/smoking/gambling age to a stuffed animal is just asinine. Even if it is a stuffed animal you don’t get to choose.

Simply pointing out some fairly common aspects of self control that government has taken control over. There are aspects such as requirements to pay for bags at a store to help reduce environmental waste. Requirement around incandescent lightbulbs even. There is taxes or restrictions regarding soft drink sizes.

Well I am not changing any law and saying its illegal. I am stating its being looked at specific to loot boxes.

Also per the definition:

No requirement of the outcome to include money. Also no requirement of extent of risk that needs to be taken.

My response was directed at someone trying to call out the requirement on self responsibility. I am simply stating there is various aspects of life controlled that could be left to self control.

Also what you are describing with always winning is also loot boxes which have been outlawed in certain countries and are undergoing review in most other western countries.

Simply pointing out some fairly common aspects of self control that government has taken control over. There are aspects such as requirements to pay for bags at a store to help reduce environmental waste. Requirement around incandescent lightbulbs even. There is taxes or restrictions regarding soft drink sizes.
So it sounds more like you have an issue with loot boxes in video games, and should have phrased your thread title and post to more accurately reflect that, since you are now moving the goal posts from your stance on wishables.

So it sounds more like you have an issue with loot boxes in video games, and should have phrased your thread title and post to more accurately reflect that, since you are now moving the goal posts from your stance on wishables.

Well I view them as strikingly similar. My viewpoint comes from back ground with video games.

These discussions have been going on for years and just now governments are starting to outlaw or look more closely at new laws regarding the topic.

Its also the same pushback that occurs in those discussions as well where gambling has to be for cash and people need to have personal responsibility.

Well I view them as strikingly similar. My viewpoint comes from back ground with video games.

These discussions have been going on for years and just now governments are starting to outlaw or look more closely at new laws regarding the topic.

Its also the same pushback that occurs in those discussions as well where gambling has to be for cash and people need to have personal responsibility.
But what about baseball cards, vinylmations, mystery pins, and the thousands of other blind boxes for sale right now? Why just pinpoint wishables?

And, what is your response to the people that have pointed out that blind boxes aren’t gambling as you are paying a price (say $10) for a stuffed animal (in the case of wishables) and you are getting a stuffed animal. It’s not like you’re paying the $10 for a chance at a stuffed animal and could get nothing. You’re getting the value.

The more I think about it...are you serious? “Normalize gambling” really???
😳

So I guess letting kids have sparkling cider on NYE encourages drinking later and so on.

I tend more moderate opinions. Most things aren’t insidious and out to get you. But whatever, to each there own.
I let my three year old drink sparkling cherry juice on Christmas and now he’s a homeless crackhead. :sad1:

Well it actually is not the same thing. Alcoholism is typically built off the act of actually intaking alcohol and exacerbated by potentially certain things like genetics. Normalizing drinking can later encourage individuals to try drinking though.

However the act of purchasing a random chance for a specific result is the actual act of gambling and can produce the same biochemical response.

Incorrect that is a form of gambling but winning money does not need to be a possible outcome. Gambling is simply risking something of value to get something of greater value in return. Hence why there is more direct looks at Loot Boxes in Video Games.

So doing the action like the above "drinking cider" is not the same as the actual item. Now if your parent had required you to pay in some manner for chances and in return if you won you received something of value that is more in line. Its why playing a game of free play video poker is different than playing for an actual prize.

So Happy Meals are different. You are not purchasing a chance but instead purchasing the meal. Now if a child is simply asking for the meal simply to get a chance at the toy then possibly it would be similar. You did see this historically where people would buy 100s of meals simply for the chance of getting something specific.

Its not meant to be a gateway but instead be an actual mechanism to extract additional money now.
Wishables are not different. You are guaranteed a product - a toy. You just don’t know which ones. Unlike gambling where you have no idea if you are getting a reward for your gamble or not.

:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

I remember seeing a story on the news with the same argument. It was around '99-'00 and on Pokemon cards. All I heard was a parent throwing a temper tantrum because they were tried of buying packs of cards for their kid.

I only have a couple Wishables. I find them to be a bit too pricey for that size of plush. I buy many other blind box/bag toys. I prefer the bags because I can feel around to figure out which one is the one I want. Some brands even have codes on the bags that you can look up online to figure out who's inside.

And I don't consider McDonald's toys the same as blind box toys. I often ask McDonald's employees what they have in stock. They let me pick what I want.

There is this thing called the Internet (thanks Al Gore) and on it you can find just about everything from heroin to murder for hire. I'm sure somewhere you can find the specific Wishable you'd like without having to gamble your kids childhood away.

Or something.

Last edited:
OP, I agree with you. This sounds like a gateway to a larger gambling problem. Wishables are the marijuana of toys. We all know that marijuana use leads to dalliances with, and ultimately addiction to, drugs like meth and cocaine.

If you don’t intervene now I predict that in five years your child will be a Wednesday afternoon railbird at Belmont betting your mortgage on the gray while chain smoking Chesterfields and tugging on malt liquor.

I would write a strongly worded letter to Disney noting your objection. But mostly you need to stay vigilant and protect your precious offspring from the demon gambling. Your child need not face a future of despair like the rest of the Community Board negligent parents.

Yeah but with Wishables, at least when buying in person, you can feel the bag and get an idea of which one is probably inside it before purchasing. Unlike blind box pins where you have absolutely no idea. Also, there is a community looking to trade Wishables if you have extras or one you don't want. There's also places online where you can sell them.

I typically refrain from buying Wishables unless there are at least 2 that I wouldn't mind having. That at least increases my odds to 50/50. If I only want one, I'll either pass or I'll buy one bag knowing whatever I get is what I get and that's it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter