WISH Team Who??? (Doctor Who quip) :) ... All are welcome :)

Choice of Name

• The Apprentices

• Walt's Runners

Results are only viewable after voting.

crewmatt

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone, we'd like to welcome you to the newest WISH team (still unnamed - gonna use survey monkey to set us up a voting survey).

We're a very diverse mix of runners and walkers, with all levels of experience and skill ranging from first time 5k-ers to experienced marathoners (I didnt see any posts about ultras yet). So obviously a great place if you're looking for motivation, advice, or just some new friends, training buddies, people to meet up wtih at the various events (there will be a list coming soon of events we're gonna be at).

So here's the team thus far (in order of appearance). Obviously team members for this first round of Bio's, I just grabbed your first post and grabbed some of what you said. Any changes you'd like feel free to PM me and I'll make it ASAP.

crewmatt - Hi I'm Matt, I've been on the DIS for a little while. I've been running for wow, maybe 10 years. Epic, I think I've only been eating and breathing longer than 10 years. But don't worry I still have very vivid memories of what that first 5K was really like. I've run a few marathons (3:16 PR), lots of half marathons, and so on down the line of distances. I row in Washington DC (where I'm from) I also dabble in triathlons but really I'm a runner who does triathlons. I love talking about running and athletics in general, fitness is definitely one of my main interests. Outside of sports, I'm a Technology Consultant (yea one of those), so I'm very into technology, programming, etc. I love movies. I'm also married to someone on the boards, let's see if she ever reads this post, haha.

MeredithRX - My name is Meredith and I'm brand new to the whole running/walking concept. I'm a pharmacist from SC and all my time is spent either working or spending time with my three small boys. I also have Multiple Sclerosis but thankfully have been able to manage it well up to this point. So, some days I am not able to train like I want to, but I desperately want to do this for myself and, as a fortunate side effect, the exercise is actually good for me. Go figure!

DisneyBoundinDec - My name is Leigh and I live in Maryland. I started running in January after watching the biggest loser.. I swear that show always inspires me but this time it actually inspired me enough to get off the couch!! My sole intention was to run the Disney 1/2 marathon in 2011. I mean, seriously, what better place to run your 1st half! So I started with the couch to 5K and ran my first 5K in April.. finished in 33 minutes.. which is fine by me.. I am slow.. ran another 5K in June.. this one there were a bunch of hills that killed me! so I finished that one in 35.. wanted to beat my first time.. then I kind of puttered out.. went on vacation for 2 weeks.. came home and became lazy.. BUT I have started running again last week and already registered for 2 5K's and am looking for a 10K in the fall.. I am actually following a training schedule right now for a 10K.. 1/2 marathon training starts in September..

kim3339 - Hi everyone!! My name is Kim and I'm out in Nor Cal. I went to law school, but work in an insurance office, not the exciting. I've been running for about 5 years now. Mostly 1/2s, and a few 5Ks. This year has been like non-stop training/running for 1/2s. Ran the San Francisco 1/2 last weekend. Perfect weather, cool to run across the bridge, but 100% humbling and hilly!! My next races are the DL 5K and 1/2. Cannot wait to get down there again. I love it there. I'm training for my first full at the Nike Women's in SF this Oct. Finally got in! Time will definitely not be a concern being my 1st and the hills of SF again. Then I've got the WDW Marathon in Jan! Cannot wait for that one either. I've never really been to WDW before. A quick weekend for the Princess in '08, but only got to MK for 1/2 a day. So this time, I get to experience WDW and all the parks. Other than that... I'm a huge baseball and LSU football fan. (Sorry Leigh ) I've got 2 dogs who I absolutely love.

ljcrochet - My name is Lisa. I sometimes go by LJ. I have been run/walking since March with a break when I went to WDW in June. Right after I got home I saw that the princess half was moved to 2/27 which happends to be the Sunday of President's week so my girls will be finishing up a vacation. What a better place to spend a vacation than WDW. I 'm so excited to train and run (with some walking as well) the princess half.
I'm planning on doing a local 10K the first weekend in October.

DiRTyBuNNy - my name is Dan. I've been a real stop and starter but I'm at the point where I really need to commit to something and here I am!

elanorasmom - Hi, I'm Jennifer! I live in Arlington, VA now but originally from Cleveland, Ohio. I started running this year, mostly on a treadmill. I've always been athletic but fully enjoyed my pregnancy - and cravings for chocolate ice cream that came along with it! Now that my daughter is 2 years old, I've gotten off my butt and into the gym. I'm signed up for the 5K in January at WDW, I'm contemplating the half marathon but I'm not sure I'll be ready! Am doing a local 5K in October in VA as well.

HockeyKat - Hi! I'm Kat, 34, married, no kids (other than those that meow), live in NC. I also work in the technology field. I took up run/walking in January 2010, because 3 runner members of another WISH thread convinced 6 of us non-runners to sign up for the Princess. I mostly trained to walk it, and finished in 3:11.

NCrunner - I am Rhonda from Asheville NC. I have wanted to be a runner for as long as I can remember...even in highschool (over 20yrs ago) I tried it out but never had the right motivation....until I realized Disney had endurance races! So when I heard that I could run through Cinderellas castle and in MK, I was hooked! I started my training Jan 10 and was doing well until April, took a month of "what was I thinking" but realized at age 41, its really now or never.

mountaineer - I am getting ready to start week 6 of c25k. I tried to do it last year but couldn't find anyone who wanted to do it. My dh and son started with me in July. We're at different places in running but we're all out there together. That means a lot when it's 95 degrees and very humid. We run on the high school track. I do zumba dvd's and mix in some P90X stuff too. I'm turning 40 this year and I want to hit it strong. I've never been a runner, I couldn't even run one lap when I started. I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying the running.

TandJMac - My name is Tracy. I am located down south in Louisiana. I am a 38 year old mother of 4- DS18, DS17, DD13, DS1 (yes, I started all over!) I have always like to walk, and after placing 3rd in my age group at a 5K in May, I decided I wanted to "pick up the pace". I started the c25k program in June, and was starting week 7, when I was sidelined. Not sure what I have done, but my left ankle looks bruised and has been swollen for two weeks now. I have an appointment Wednesday to get it checked out. I have to get back out there! My current plans are to run a 5K in September and October. I am looking for a 10k to run Oct/Nov. And then, my ultimate goal.....the Princess Half! I am so excited about that!

princessfinoasmom - Hi my name is Carmel and I live in MA. I'm 37 years old, married with 2 kids, DD7 and DS10. I started running because of WDW. I was in a spinning class and the instructor said she was going to run a 1/2 marathon in WDW. Now being a huge WDW fan I thought this is the way I can finally get my rear end in shape and what a better reward than going to WDW. My DBF and I will be running the 1/2 in January. I have started the couch to 5k program and can't believe I am already able to run for 20 mins.

runnerbelle - Hi my name is Carmel and I live in MA. I'm 37 years old, married with 2 kids, DD7 and DS10. I started running because of WDW. I was in a spinning class and the instructor said she was going to run a 1/2 marathon in WDW. Now being a huge WDW fan I thought this is the way I can finally get my rear end in shape and what a better reward than going to WDW. My DBF and I will be running the 1/2 in January. I have started the couch to 5k program and can't believe I am already able to run for 20 mins.

Shannon84 - My name is Shannon, I am 26 years old, and currently live in Richmond, VA. I am originally from MA and went to college down in Myrtle Beach, SC. I worked for one summer at EPCOT and MGM and it was just wonderful I started running in 2009...just a year ago I suppose I started with a 5k for our local SPCA as a challenge from co workers ( I LOVE animals too) and then proceeded to run a 10k which is very popular here in Richmond called the Ukrops Monument Ave 10k (over 35,000 people ran this year) and have done a few 5ks since. My first half marathon will be the Disney Wine & Dine in October. I am too embarassed to post times, but lets say I am slow and steady

chop456 - I am Beth from Wisconsin. I am 42, married to a wonderful man and have 2 kids - DD12 and DS 10. I am a 1st grade teacher trying to enjoy the last weeks of summer break. I ran for fun many years ago in college but over the last 20 years have been on the "on and off" activity plan. My daughter ran on the middle school track team this year and watching her motivated me to try running again. Then a dear friend suggested we train for the Princess 1/2 marathon. So here I am.

honeybrook_99 - Hi All! My name is Allison, I am a pharmacist from South Ga. This is my first attempt at a half-marathon, well, at any race. Like many of you I have always wanted to run and have just got up the guts to actually do it.

MrsPinup - My name is Jen and I am from Northern Cali. I am 28, married, and have two sons - ages 7 and 5 (almost 6). I have a Bachelor's Degree in Deaf Studies and work in Special Education. Last December after two months of working out and eating healthy and not losing anything, I started running. After a few months I had dropped 30 pounds.

swim-mom - I am married to the love of my life and we have four children 13, 11 and twins 7. I am 35 been married for 14 years but together for 20 this Jan 2011 (yes since I was 16-LOL) I have a masters in counseling, and I am a college professor and also work for an aupair agency --- since without my aupair I would be a mess! Needless to say last June I signed for the Princess knowing I was having surgical spine surgery on my neck. Bottom line I have a plate and 6 screws and cadavor bone in my neck. So 7 months post op I ran the princess and fell in love

cantwaitvaca09 - My name Is Jo, I'm in Illinois, married, working mom of 2 girls. My girls are my whole world. I set my sights on the 2011 Princess in Nov last year when my father (57) had a 3x bypass as well as lots more issue. I knew then that I do not want me kids to worry about me the way I worry about him.

Lexxie&Nicky - I am doing my first 5K on Aug 28 and planning to do a couple more events before it gets so cold and snowy that they all going into hiding.

I am 37 and married to a non-runner {power lifter} and have two kids DS is 3 and DD will be 9 next month. I am brand new to running. I am planning on the Princess 1/2 as my first Disney event and my first solo trip to WDW.

buckeyecinderella

DisneyRN51207 - My name's Katie I'm and ER nurse in Charleston, SC. I'm married (to someone on the boards) for 3 years and have a beautiful daughter who just turned 13 months. In an attempt to get in better shape last winter I trained for the Royal Family 5K. After seeing how much fun a Disney race is and after being prodded by my friends who are much more experienced runners I decided to do the Princess next year.

dumbo_buddy - my name is nancy, i'm 29, turning 30 in october. i live in the bronx with my husband john and our almost 14 month old son thomas. until i had my son i was in finance but decided to stay home with him when he was born. i became a Disney Travel Agent a few months ago and really loving it (always looking for business too, hehe). i was an athlete until i went to college and quickly became a sloth! i got the c25k app and completed it so i started looking for something to keep my motivation up and the princess half just sounded great to me.

DisneyBride'03 - My name is Diana...live in the SW burbs of Chi CA GOoo....Mother of 5..and have been training for my first 1/2 marathon!! Not a runner by nature....a fast walker...and I wanted a challenger for my 44th bday that is fast approaching in OCT!!! This will be my 3rd F & W visit, and when they announced the Inaugural Wine and Dine 1/2...I had to do it!!

Lullabee - I'm a newish runner, just started last summer with no athletic prowess. After getting nowhere on the C25K thing, I found that run/walk is the thing for me. Even managed to make it through a few half marathons that way! Now my runner buddy and I are looking forward to Wine and Dine half

MamaCrush -

bounceliketigger - Shannon

Want to join? Post your intro and little bio (I'll grab it and add you to the list). If I miss you just PM me.

I'm gonna be posting a breakdown of the events we're all planning to do. And some other fun statistics about the group. Gotta come up with a slightly faster way of mining the info then clicking on links haha.

Obviously I'm not perched high on the creative ladder by the time Friday night rolls around either. I'll keep thinking for my great name idea. :lmao: I didn't want to go without posting though. It may be a while...

My name is Meredith and I'm brand new to the whole running/walking concept. I'm a pharmacist from SC and all my time is spent either working or spending time with my three small boys. I also have Multiple Sclerosis but thankfully have been able to manage it well up to this point. So, some days I am not able to train like I want to, but I desperately want to do this for myself and, as a fortunate side effect, the exercise is actually good for me. Go figure! :rotfl:

I decided last March after watching trip reports from the Princess Half Marathon that I definitely wanted to be able to do that! So, I got off the couch that very afternoon and have been working toward that goal slowly but surely. Honestly, I'm doing a lot more walking than running at this point, but I'm trying to add more and more jogging intervals. I am currently doing short distances of 3-4 miles 2-3 times a week and trying to do long runs on weekends. My longest so far has been a little over 8 miles. I aim to keep everything under 16 minutes a mile, since that's the Disney requirement ;) and so far I've been OK. So, obviously not super speedy, but I get the job done!

I have currently only done one 5K (and I'm not even going to post my embarrasing time but at least I wasn't last!). I am now signed up for a 5K in September, a local Half Marathon in October, and my ultimate goal - the Princess Half Marathon in February 2011. I just can't wait!

Hey Matt, thanks for getting the new team up and running. Sending many people over your way......

Maura

:cool1: a team! Thank you Matt for starting this thread and a new team! I am very excited to meet everyone!
You are quite the athlete and hopefully I won't embarrass myself around you! :lmao:

My name is Leigh and I live in Maryland. I started running in January after watching the biggest loser.. I swear that show always inspires me but this time it actually inspired me enough to get off the couch!! My sole intention was to run the Disney 1/2 marathon in 2011. I mean, seriously, what better place to run your 1st half! So I started with the couch to 5K and ran my first 5K in April.. finished in 33 minutes.. which is fine by me.. I am slow.. ran another 5K in June.. this one there were a bunch of hills that killed me! :rotfl: so I finished that one in 35.. wanted to beat my first time.. then I kind of puttered out.. went on vacation for 2 weeks.. came home and became lazy.. BUT I have started running again last week and already registered for 2 5K's and am looking for a 10K in the fall.. I am actually following a training schedule right now for a 10K.. 1/2 marathon training starts in September..

Background about me.. I am 38..about to turn 39 in September.. YIKES:headache: I have 2 beautiful boys aged 7 and 3 and am a stay at home mom with them. I am originally from Florida, GO GATORS and I had a career as a behavioral therapist at the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore but gave that up to be at home with my boys..

well that's about it... looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully there will be more 2011 1/2 marathon runners here..

oh.. a name.. gosh.. I am awful.. I'll have to think on it.. :rolleyes1

Hi everyone!! My name is Kim and I'm out in Nor Cal. I went to law school, but work in an insurance office, not the exciting. I've been running for about 5 years now. Mostly 1/2s, and a few 5Ks. This year has been like non-stop training/running for 1/2s. Ran the San Francisco 1/2 last weekend. Perfect weather, cool to run across the bridge, but 100% humbling and hilly!! My next races are the DL 5K and 1/2. Cannot wait to get down there again. I love it there. :love: I'm training for my first full at the Nike Women's in SF this Oct. Finally got in! Time will definitely not be a concern being my 1st and the hills of SF again. :headache: Then I've got the WDW Marathon in Jan! Cannot wait for that one either. I've never really been to WDW before. A quick weekend for the Princess in '08, but only got to MK for 1/2 a day. So this time, I get to experience WDW and all the parks. Other than that... I'm a huge baseball and LSU football fan. (Sorry Leigh :goodvibes) I've got 2 dogs who I absolutely love.

As for a name... I'll have to get back to everyone. I like the apprentices though.

Good to meet everyone!!

I am awful coming up with names.

My name is Lisa. I sometimes go by LJ. I have been run/walking since March with a break when I went to WDW in June. Right after I got home I saw that the princess half was moved to 2/27 which happends to be the Sunday of President's week so my girls will be finishing up a vacation. What a better place to spend a vacation than WDW. I 'm so excited to train and run (with some walking as well) the princess half.
I'm planning on doing a local 10K the first weekend in October.

funny-pictures-cat-dr-who-bbc-budget.jpg

--DB

btw, but seriously my name is Dan. I've been a real stop and starter but I'm at the point where I really need to commit to something and here I am!

Hi, I'm Jennifer! I'm glad to see a new team start up - thanks Matt!!

I live in Arlington, VA now but originally from Cleveland, Ohio. I started running this year, mostly on a treadmill. I've always been athletic but fully enjoyed my pregnancy - and cravings for chocolate ice cream that came along with it! Now that my daughter is 2 years old, I've gotten off my butt and into the gym.

I'm signed up for the 5K in January at WDW, I'm contemplating the half marathon but I'm not sure I'll be ready! Am doing a local 5K in October in VA as well.

Yay us (whomever we turn out to be):cheer2:

Jennifer

So are we reporting back in daily or weekly? I haven't done this in a few years so I can't quite remember!

I'd say we stick with weekly, I'm sure conversations/etc will pop up daily, but hopping on weekly and letting people know whats up.

elanoresmom - what 5k are you running in October? I'm doing MCM on Oct 31.

Hi! I'm Kat, 34, married, no kids (other than those that meow), live in NC. I also work in the technology field.

Sorry it has taken me so long to check in, but I am on a trip to Chicago, to do the RockNRoll half marathon which took place this morning.

I took up run/walking in January 2010, because 3 runner members of another WISH thread convinced 6 of us non-runners to sign up for the Princess. I mostly trained to walk it, and finished in 3:11.

Well, that gave me the running bug, and I joined a local Galloway training group at the end of May, and signed up for the RnR and another half in November, at the Outer Banks. I am also planning to do the Princess 2011, and perhaps one in Charlotte in December. I do a run/walk interval of 2/1 right now, with some 3/1s and 4/1s in my shorter runs.

I am really slow, but am working my way up the best that I can. I have also lost over 40 lbs this year, which has helped quite a bit.

My time today was 2:49. :)

Good job on the time, thats a massive improvement, just think 20 minutes later when you're feeling more recovered that last year you were still going. How is the Rock n Roll series, I've never done one.

Good job on the time, thats a massive improvement, just think 20 minutes later when you're feeling more recovered that last year you were still going. How is the Rock n Roll series, I've never done one.

Thanks! I am hoping to do even better at OBX since it will hopefully be cooler.

I thought it was good, but not quite as organized as the Disney race. Overall they did pretty well, but there were a few blips here and there. For example, they only give out a men's tech shirt but they don't tell you that when you register. They also would not let you change the size during packet pickup, only on race day.

I didn't go to much if any of the festivities, though, as I was visiting a friend here and she wasn't really interested. We did the expo and the race and that's about it.

To be honest, the bands were nice, but they go by so quickly that they don't really add much more than my mp3 player.

Chicago at least has lots to look at, and it was a nice mix of inside the city and along the lake paths.

Plenty of water, as well, and the water stops were well-organized. We didn't stay for much of the after-festivities because it was PACKED. I would say at least 20,000 people started the race and then you have all the friends&family too... we went to a bar instead.

Thank you for getting this going! What a great idea! I also like the idea of the visors and shirts! If you havent seen the visor that is being ordered--go take a look!
I am Rhonda from Asheville NC. I have wanted to be a runner for as long as I can remember...even in highschool (over 20yrs ago) I tried it out but never had the right motivation....until I realized Disney had endurance races! I started coming to DW when my kids were 5 and 7....most magical place on earth as far as Ive seen, even the trashcans match the decor! So when I heard that I could run through Cinderellas castle and in MK, I was hooked! I started my training Jan 10 and was doing well until April, took a month of "what was I thinking" but realized at age 41, its really now or never. I do not like to live with any regret and I knew that if I didnt sign up and at least try, I would be in a nursing home one day and say "I should have at least tried to run that Disney Princess race". So, I signed up and started my training back. Yes, I am slow, but I'm out there, my only hope is to not get 'swept'!! I read The Non-Runners Marathon Training book, that is my new training bible.....I recommend it. I am excited to find this forum and look forward to corresponding with all of you and meeting you in Feb 2011.
I am not very creative either....Walt's Runners in Training, or just plain Walt's Runners. I like the idea of having disney in the title...keep me motivatied! and I need all the help I can get!! Rhonda

I started my training Jan 10 and was doing well until April, took a month of "what was I thinking" but realized at age 41, its really now or never. I do not like to live with any regret and I knew that if I didnt sign up and at least try, I would be in a nursing home one day and say "I should have at least tried to run that Disney Princess race". So, I signed up and started my training back. Yes, I am slow, but I'm out there, my only hope is to not get 'swept'!!

Rhonda- This is exactly how I feel! My issue is that I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis a year and a half ago. So, I could be fine 40 years from now, or I could not be able to walk this time next year. There's no way to know! (Not that I'm dwelling on the negative option by any means!) I decided that I desperately wanted to try this and I'd better do it now in case I couldn't do it later. And, here I am.

My biggest fear is those darn sweepers. *laugh*

Kat - Which race is in Charlotte in December? All of my family is from there and I spend a lot of time there anyway. I might be interested in adding another one if my Half at the beach in October goes well...

Kat - Which race is in Charlotte in December? All of my family is from there and I spend a lot of time there anyway. I might be interested in adding another one if my Half at the beach in October goes well...

ME TOO....Live just 2 hours from there and have family there...might join you guys too>>>Rhonda

Oh yes. I had forgotten about that! I loved that it had the same name as the roller coaster at Carowinds. ;)

We'll be at Disney that week for our anniversary trip. I need to put it on the 'maybe' list for 2011! I'm not fast enough to qualify yet anyway. Maybe next time!

Any of you Carolinians interested in doing the Myrtle Beach Half in October? It should be fun! I'd love to have some other people there!

Oh geez!! I just looked at the 3 hour cutoff time. :eek: Considering the elevation, I am not sure I qualify either.

I may have to see how I do at OBX before signing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter