Wish delayed with mechanical problems

If the Wish wasn't able to leave Nassau until 10 am, Castaway Cay wasn't going to happen regardless of weather. It's 75 miles per Google Maps, so at 20 knots, it would be 1:30 or 2 pm before the ship arrived. My guess is people would have an hour or so on the beach at most.

The weather is a convenient excuse by DCL to downplay the impact because DCL could say that Castaway wasn't happening even if the boat was able to be at CC at dawn.

I believe future cruise credits in the past were valid for all cruises but now are limiting the credit to 3, 4 and 7 day cruises. Strange.
My guess is because the Wish is doing 3/4 night cruises, the 20% discount on some longer cruises might very well be close to the cost of the Wish cruise.

My guess is because the Wish is doing 3/4 night cruises, the 20% discount on some longer cruises might very well be close to the cost of the Wish cruise.
I read it more as Disney doesn’t want people to use the discount on the more special cruises like southern Caribbean, PC, or the longer European itineraries.

On our first Disney cruise (late January of 2020- What a time to find out you like cruising) we missed Castaway due to high winds. They tried to dock three times. It was a no go. I would have loved a discount but none was offered.

They did however magically have drinks special well beyond the drink of the day that they hadn't previously. :drinking1

These Wish guests were offered a discount due to the mechanical issues. I understand their frustration but missing Castaway happens and most of the time no one is offered a thing.

I am far more curious as to why the Wish is having issues already...

I read it more as Disney doesn’t want people to use the discount on the more special cruises like southern Caribbean, PC, or the longer European itineraries.
This is possible. We got a 20% off for a missed port on the 12/26/21 sailing on the Disney Fantasy. We used it to book the 11 night Italy and Greek Isles cruise this summer. This particular discount could be stacked with the placeholder so this saved a good bit of money.

Right? That's easily a $2,000+ discount on a 7 night verandah SR for a family of 3-4.
I sometimes criticize DCL on certain things but they are the best when it comes to compensation and customer service.
I agree. I was really impressed by the compensation they gave us for our July cruise when we quarantined due to our son catching covid. They could have just not given us back any money and only done room service.

I agree. I was really impressed by the compensation they gave us for our July cruise when we quarantined due to our son catching covid. They could have just not given us back any money and only done room service.
That's great to hear. Yeah they're really good.
More than generous I find them to be really caring. Like they genuinely seem to care when something happens that affects your cruise experience. Sure other companies also offer compensation when something goes wrong (amazon and chewy come to mind) but DCL seem to legit care about each individual cruiser - And I hate them for that becase this level of customer care is one of the main reasons we keep giving them our $$ :mad:

Like they genuinely seem to care when something happens that affects your cruise experience
100% agree. My son got sick at dinner on the Wonder last year, and my husband took him down to our room. Our dining team made sure they packed up the rest of my husband‘s dinner/dessert and took it down to him.

This is possible. We got a 20% off for a missed port on the 12/26/21 sailing on the Disney Fantasy. We used it to book the 11 night Italy and Greek Isles cruise this summer. This particular discount could be stacked with the placeholder so this saved a good bit of money.
We did the same thing for our 9-night Greek Isles last year. We were set to go on the MV of the Wish and when it got moved, we got the 50% off any cruise. We also had a cancelled cruise from back in 2021 that had been booked with a placeholder that had a 125% FCC and had been booked with a placeholder. They let us stack all of those for that Greek Isles cruise!

People are ridiculous. i would be very happy with a 20% discount!
The GT rates are usually more than 20%. It's basically 10% more than an onboard discount. I'd be happy with it because I've been to Castaway a number of times but for those people doing a once-in-a-lifetime Disney cruise, it hardly makes up for it.

There are a lot of first-time cruisers on the short cruises out of PC. I was looking at Wish cruises for next January {one of the cheaper months} they are around 5k for a family of four. If it was my first cruise and I spent that amount of money on a first cruise and it got ruined. I'd be hard-pressed to book another one even with a 20% discount.

I've cruised Disney 29 times maybe half of those have included CC and we've never missed it. It's definitely the highlight of an otherwise boring cruise from an itinerary standpoint.

Like most people, my first few cruises on DCL were short ones and they were amazing. It got us hooked. At today's prices, I could see the total opposite effect if anything that went wrong.

The GT rates are usually more than 20%. It's basically 10% more than an onboard discount. I'd be happy with it because I've been to Castaway a number of times but for those people doing a once-in-a-lifetime Disney cruise, it hardly makes up for it.

There are a lot of first-time cruisers on the short cruises out of PC. I was looking at Wish cruises for next January {one of the cheaper months} they are around 5k for a family of four. If it was my first cruise and I spent that amount of money on a first cruise and it got ruined. I'd be hard-pressed to book another one even with a 20% discount.

I've cruised Disney 29 times maybe half of those have included CC and we've never missed it. It's definitely the highlight of an otherwise boring cruise from an itinerary standpoint.

Like most people, my first few cruises on DCL were short ones and they were amazing. It got us hooked. At today's prices, I could see the total opposite effect if anything that went wrong.
This seems to be the perspective of many people in the group. First-time cruisers, "once in a lifetime" cruises, all really excited to try CC for the first time. Many said their vacation was ruined. While I think that attitude is maybe a bit extreme (we still had a great cruise), I can, to a degree, get where they're coming from. Many of us on this board (myself included) are lucky we are able to cruise on DCL many times. That's not the case for all. I was a little bummed to miss CC, but I've been there before so the bonus sea day was fine for me. For others really looking forward to it, I can see them being bummed.

100% agree. My son got sick at dinner on the Wonder last year, and my husband took him down to our room. Our dining team made sure they packed up the rest of my husband‘s dinner/dessert and took it down to him.
Doesn't surprise me a bit. They're like that all the time. We've had so many examples of their great customer service in almost every cruise. I could write a pamphlet about it.
They've always left us scratching our heads thinking "who does that"? and of course as soon as we get back on land we are thinking about what to book next, and usually end up booking another cruise. It's evil.

Families of 5 are not eligible for GT rates (max occupancy of 4), and this also works on concierge (unlike placeholder). It's a pretty good deal.

Our first disney cruise was "ruined" when my husband caught noro and was quarantined (we did self-report to medical bay as instructed). Our attitude was the opposite--instead of never wanting to cruise with Disney again, we took it as an excuse to book a repeat cruise a couple months later (without a discount, because we were stupid and didn't know about the placeholder--didn't have the app back then) to do all the stuff we missed out on.

Families of 5 are not eligible for GT rates (max occupancy of 4), and this also works on concierge (unlike placeholder). It's a pretty good deal.

Our first disney cruise was "ruined" when my husband caught noro and was quarantined (we did self-report to medical bay as instructed). Our attitude was the opposite--instead of never wanting to cruise with Disney again, we took it as an excuse to book a repeat cruise a couple months later (without a discount, because we were stupid and didn't know about the placeholder--didn't have the app back then) to do all the stuff we missed out on.
The point was some people can only afford a Disney cruise once in a lifetime. They may not want to save up the money for it again. Concierge guests probably don’t have that issue. Family of fives are only a small portion of the cruise demographic.

A 20% refund would be a much better offer. 20% off an overpriced cruise only benefits someone that wants to cruise again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter