WISH Away the Pounds January Challenge -- Jumpstart the New Year -- Everyone Welcome!

lisah0711

♥ her Disney office
Welcome to WISH Away the Pounds January Challenge -- Jumpstart the New Year edition!

Please read the complete instructions in post 2, and then let me know if you have any questions.
The philosophy behind our new challenge: small achievable goals. One month at a time, one week at a time, one day at a time, one bite at a time. Results will be posted as a % lost (pounds) towards monthly goal.

Thanks to Rose&Mike for creating our new challenge format which was a great success in 2013! :thanks:

Weigh in Days--Weight Loss
PM Weight to lisah0711
January 1 (starting weight AND pounds lost goal for month in the subject line of your PM, i.e. W/I 1/1 145 start goal 5)
January 3 (present weight in the subject line of your PM, i.e. W/I 1/3 144)
January 10
January 17
January 24
January 31 (last chance)

Weight Loss Goals:
10%, orange
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
90% red--FINISH STRONG!
100%WISH green

Weigh in Days--Maintainers:
January 1 (pm starting weight, maintain range, and goal for the month; i.e. in the subject line 145, range 141-149, goal 4 weeks)
January 3
January 10
January 17
January 24
January 31 (last chance)

Maintainer Goals
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
100%WISH green

Please see list of participants and results in Post #4 here.
http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50343935&postcount=4

Welcome to the WISH Away the Pounds January Challenge -- Jumpstart the New Year 2014 Edition
Losers and Maintainers welcome!

Quick overview:
Weigh in days
January 1 (starting weight AND pounds lost goal for month in the subject line of your PM, i.e. W/I 1/1 145 start goal 5)
January 3 (present weight in the subject line of your PM, i.e. W/I 1/3 144)
January 10
January 17
January 24
January 31 (last chance)

Pm weights to lisah0711. Please note the only way to sign up and update your numbers to send them by PM -- I don't want to miss a post. :flower3:

How the challenge works:
This is the new and improved challenge that replaces the BL challenges. Like the show has evolved, so have our challenges and this format takes the best of that long standing tradition and makes it even better! ::yes::

The goal of the new challenge is to meet your weight loss/maintain goals on a monthly basis. Results will be posted as percentages toward goal and your color will change as you approach your goal, similar to the exercise thread on the WISH boards. We hope that this new format will encourage some great discussions about weight loss, maintaining, diet, exercise and healthy living!

It is up to the hostess each month as to whether she wants to have coaches/Question of the day, mini-challenges, etc. It is her month, so she can choose to handle it how she wants.

Heres how the new challenge will work. It is going to be a monthly individual challenge. Each month is a new start. You are competing against yourself to meet your goals for the month. No one will know your actual weight (unless you share it) except the hostess for the month. NO GOAL IS TOO SMALL.

Let me repeat: NO GOAL IS TOO SMALL. A loss is a loss is a loss. Your color will change based on your % lost toward goal.

On January 1st you will pm lisah0711 (hostess for January) your starting weight AND your goal for the month. On Friday January 3, January 10, January 17 and January 24 you can pm lisah0711 an updated weight. Final weigh in is January 31st. On Monday nights the thread will be updated with percentage toward goal.

Here is an example of what the stats will look like.

Updated January 10, 2014
Minnie Mouse 25.00%
Daisy Duck 12.00%
Goofy 0.00 %
Donald Duck 33.33%
Mickey Mouse 40.00%

Weight Loss Goals:
10%, orange
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
90% red--ALMOST THERE!
100%WISH green

In this case Goofy, put on a few pounds, but that will be reported as 0%. We are not going to call people out, but just report positive moves towards your goal!

Minnie Mouse had a starting weight of 110 with a goal of 4 pounds. At her weigh in she reported a weight of 109 with a percentage loss of 25%.

Your color will change based on your % loss. If you gain, your percentage will decrease, and your color will change, but no one will know your weight except the hostess. Only your % loss toward goal will be reported. Negative percentages will not be reported.

Participants (other than the hostess) will not know your pound lost goal or actual weight unless you choose to share it with them.

Maintainers will set a goal for the month of number of weeks they would like to stay in maintain range (+/- 4 pounds).
They will weigh in on the first day of the month and then on each of the weekends. Their results will be reported as percentages along with their goal.

For example:
Pluto 1/4 25%.

Pluto has a goal of maintaining all four weeks. He put on 1 pound at the first weigh in, but is in his maintain range.

Maintainer Goals
25% bright pink
50% purple
75% turquoise
100%WISH green

It really is pretty simple. Remember, no one will see your weight or pound loss goal except the hostess unless you choose to share it.

Percentage loss will be updated once a week. If you miss sending in your weight over the weekend, no big deal, just send an update the following weekend. Please understand that this is a volunteer job and the hostess will only be updating once a week.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing everyone meet their healthy living goals!

Coaching Schedule

Coaches for January
January 1-5 lisah0711
January 6-10 pjlla
January 11-15 YOUR NAME HERE
January 16-20 ohMom
January 21-25 Eliza32
January 26-30 Rose&Mike
January 31 lisah0711

We will have coaches for this challenge. Coaches post the Question of the Day (QOTD), do replies, and generally keep our conversation moving. Coaching is a lot of fun and coaches often enjoy what we call "the coaching effect" and have a great loss the weeks that they coach. It is a lot of fun!
The coaching time has been shortened to five days to give us a little more variety and make it easier on our coaches who do so much for us.

Future challenges

We've had a great year in 2013 with our new WATP challenge format. :goodvibes We launched a new challenge format, had lots of lovely hostesses helping us along the way, and even had hostesses from Europe all summer which is a first for any WISH challenge that I know of. :cool2:

But these challenges don't run themselves -- it takes a lot of effort from everyone especially our hostesses. :flower3: One of the reasons we switched to the monthly format was to avoid hostess burnout. We need hostesses for future challenges. Any volunteers? :hmghost:

Future challenge hosts:
February 2014 ares2102(Amanda)
March 2014 Eliza32 (Helen)
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014 lisah0711 (Lisa)
November 2014
December 2014

These challenges are "run" by volunteers and it takes everyone participating to make a successful challenge.

Thanks to all who have volunteered to coach and host! :thanks:

Participant List

50sjayne
araes2102
BernardandMissBianca
bigsis1970
bryana
DisFam95
Disneylover99
Eliza32
Flossbolna
FriendofaMouse
happysummer
Heather.Mohler
HippieChickadee
honkytonkmama
huckleberrykate
jayna22
JillyBean1899
Lexiesmom
liesel
lisah0711
lovetoscrap
mainemooncat
Mary Poppins
myweegirls
njcarita
ohMom
pjlla
Rose&Mike
RoyalMom
sugarnspicex4
Tinkerbell1013
vitfamily
willonlyflytodisney
XrayChicken

Maintainers:
jillbur

:welcome:

This is the January challenge thread. It will not be coached until January 1st but you are welcome to post here to let us know you will be joining us. In the mean time, please visit us here on the December challenge thread http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50186998&postcount=1 through December 31st for the chatting! :cool2:

We are looking forward to a great month! :yay:

:wave2:

I am back! Been a long time since I last joined you all! Looks like Feb 3013 was the last Challenge I signed up for but wasn't able to stick around for long. I am hoping to be around longer this time and enjoy the company and support of friends old and new. :goodvibes

I am currently at the lowest weight I have been in as long as I can remember (probably at least 13 years) but I do have a ways to go as you can see from my tickers.

Hello! I'm a daily browser of Disboards but obviously I don't post very much. I am hoping you guys will allow me to join in on this. I really want to start 2014 off right. Ready to make healtier choices and get some of these unwanted pounds off.

Is there a thread for newbies to read about joining in on this or do we just post here and PM our info to the monthly hostess?

Thanks and I look forward to being part of this for 2014!! :)

Hi - I've never participated before - but I'd like to give it a try! I really need help to stay on track!
Want to lose a bunch before our trip in May!

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in! December was lousy for me between travel and the holidays. We had a lot of fun, but I was off the rails foodwise and need to get it together! I have the Dopey Challenge at WDW and will be there from January 8-13...a mix of lots of running and lots of (careful) eating! :)

Happy New Year, everyone - so glad to have this thread to get me back on track! :)

XO
Liz

Ohh, this looks fun. I need something to keep me accountable, relying on the dog just isn't cutting it. :rotfl2:

I've always been one of those people that other people hated ... able to eat anything and everything and not gain weight, so I never really paid attention to diet. If I was hungry for something, I ate it, although I wasn't a complete junk food junkie. Well, I hit 30, got on depo provera for 2 years, and now am on prednisone, and gained a bit of weight. So you're all gonna be stuck with me while I figure out how to lose some of what I gained.

So yeah, I'm in, too. :wave2:

I'm in too.......managed all of 2013 but still got a way to go on the weight loss, so I'm hanging around again in 2014.

Happy to take coaching for 21 - 25 Jan too unless anyone else has already taken it.

I am back! Been a long time since I last joined you all! Looks like Feb 3013 was the last Challenge I signed up for but wasn't able to stick around for long. I am hoping to be around longer this time and enjoy the company and support of friends old and new. :goodvibes

I am currently at the lowest weight I have been in as long as I can remember (probably at least 13 years) but I do have a ways to go as you can see from my tickers.

Nice to see you, LTS! :flower3: A big :woohoo: and :yay: for you with your great progress. Glad to have you back. ::yes::

Hello! I'm a daily browser of Disboards but obviously I don't post very much. I am hoping you guys will allow me to join in on this. I really want to start 2014 off right. Ready to make healtier choices and get some of these unwanted pounds off.

Is there a thread for newbies to read about joining in on this or do we just post here and PM our info to the monthly hostess?

:welcome:
The instructions for the challenge are in the first couple of posts. If you still have questions just ask on the thread or PM me. Good luck!

I am in! Looking forward to another fabulous year!

:welcome: Here's to another fabulous year for you, Kate! :yay:

Hi - I've never participated before - but I'd like to give it a try! I really need help to stay on track!

:welcome: A Disney trip is perfect motivation for a healthy lifestyle! ::yes::

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in! December was lousy for me between travel and the holidays. We had a lot of fun, but I was off the rails foodwise and need to get it together! I have the Dopey Challenge at WDW and will be there from January 8-13...a mix of lots of running and lots of (careful) eating! :)

Happy New Year, everyone - so glad to have this thread to get me back on track! :)

Glad you had a great time on your trip, Liz! Dopey will be here before you know it -- you're going to do great! :yay:

Ohh, this looks fun. I need something to keep me accountable, relying on the dog just isn't cutting it. :rotfl2:

I've always been one of those people that other people hated ... able to eat anything and everything and not gain weight, so I never really paid attention to diet. If I was hungry for something, I ate it, although I wasn't a complete junk food junkie. Well, I hit 30, got on depo provera for 2 years, and now am on prednisone, and gained a bit of weight. So you're all gonna be stuck with me while I figure out how to lose some of what I gained.

:welcome: This is a fun and supportive group and great for accountability. You can do it! :flower3:

I'm new to the challenge and I'm in! Excited to see my progress and everyone else's!

:welcome: and good luck! :flower3:

I'm in too.......managed all of 2013 but still got a way to go on the weight loss, so I'm hanging around again in 2014.

Happy to take coaching for 21 - 25 Jan too unless anyone else has already taken it.

Thank you so much for taking a coaching slot, Helen! :thanks:

I still have a couple more slots open for any of you brave souls who want to volunteer. :hmghost:

:welcome: to all our new and returning participants! The January challenges are great because we get to see some old friends and meet some new ones. :goodvibes Feel free to come on over to the December challenge thread where we are currently chatting. I'll post a warm up QOTD tomorrow.

I'm in. Thanks for hosting Lisa! :)

2013 was not kind to me, but I learned a lot and I am feeling good and back on track. Apparently, I went through menopause this year. Believe it or not it was kind of a shock.:rotfl2: My biggest and worst symptom--ridiculously and over the top moody. Think your worst day of the month every single day. I didn't want to be around people, didn't want to talk to anyone, cried way too much, and felt like I was going through the motions and faking it every single day. And my eating was HORRID! Anyhow, the last six weeks or so I have been starting to feel like myself again, so hoping for a great 2014!

Congrats on your progress! Great to see you. :) How are you feeling?

Welcome!

I am in! Looking forward to another fabulous year!
Hi Kate! :)

We usually go in May as well for our anniversary. I think it's a great time--good weather, not too crowded. :)

XO
Liz
Hi Liz!

Welcome! Hopefully you will find something that works for you. :)

I'm new to the challenge and I'm in! Excited to see my progress and everyone else's!
Welcome!

Hi Helen! :)

Hi Everyone! I was a member for a couple of years then fell off the boards earlier this year.

I ran the TOT in October with my husband and had a great time ... lost weight and felt good. After that .... It all went down hill. Stopped running and have indulged myself for the last few months.

So .... I am happy to be back and see some friends still on the boards :wave2: Pam, Lisa and Rose!

I am ready to get my eating back under control and I ran this morning (boy was it cold!)

Here is to a New Year! pixiedust:
Fran

Happy New Year's Eve! :cool1:

I'm in. Thanks for hosting Lisa! :)

2013 was not kind to me, but I learned a lot and I am feeling good and back on track. Apparently, I went through menopause this year. Believe it or not it was kind of a shock.:rotfl2: My biggest and worst symptom--ridiculously and over the top moody. Think your worst day of the month every single day. I didn't want to be around people, didn't want to talk to anyone, cried way too much, and felt like I was going through the motions and faking it every single day. And my eating was HORRID! Anyhow, the last six weeks or so I have been starting to feel like myself again, so hoping for a great 2014!

Glad that you are feeling more like yourself again, Rose! :flower3:

Mary•Poppins;50353420 said:
Hi Everyone! I was a member for a couple of years then fell off the boards earlier this year.

I ran the TOT in October with my husband and had a great time ... lost weight and felt good. After that .... It all went down hill. Stopped running and have indulged myself for the last few months.

So .... I am happy to be back and see some friends still on the boards :wave2: Pam, Lisa and Rose!

I am ready to get my eating back under control and I ran this morning (boy was it cold!)

Fran

So nice to see you, Fran! :flower3: Looking forward to catching up with you! :cool2:

Our challenge will be officially starting tomorrow -- I'll post tomorrow's QOTD later today. Be sure and come chat with us on the December thread. :santa:

I'm all ready......just had a bit of a splurgy lunch - turkey and brie with cranberry sauce in an artisan baguette.....was scrummy. Once I've had the lasagne tonight that's it and I'm back on track.

Ran on the treadmill last night, but my right quads are really sore this morning - first time I've ever had any problems, so I'm definitely giving the parkrun a miss in the morning, Saturday will come soon enough.

I'm at work today, but there's not a real lot going on. Been setting up spreadsheets and stuff for 2014 for work and then spent some time online looking for nice low fat recipes to try. Already planned a bean chilli for tomorrow, then once I'm back at work on Thursday things will get easier.

Will be getting a bit of exercise in tomorrow anyway as it's time to take the decorations down and put the tree away for another year....this is what Slimming World refer to as 'Body Magic'.....any exercise that makes you slightly out of breath...I will be out of breath after climbing into the attic to put everything away!!!!!

See you all tomorrow!!!

I'm here for 2014!! December proved to be too busy and I barely made it on the thread to check in :( I did maintain, though, which I am very proud of. One of my goals is going to be checking in at least every other day, even if I can't reply and respond like I'd like to.

I want to WISH everyone a Happy & Healthy New Year!

Fran

Fran!! Welcome back! I always wonder what is going on with you and the boys :)

Jill

Fran
Good to see you Fran! I have been very absent this year too. Sporadic would be a good word. Congrats on the TOT! :)

Glad that you are feeling more like yourself again, Rose! :flower3:
Thank you Lisa. I really managed to become a hermit and alienate myself from my friends in 2013 but hoping for a better 2014. :)

Helen--that sandwich sounds yummy! :)

I'm here for 2014!! December proved to be too busy and I barely made it on the thread to check in :( I did maintain, though, which I am very proud of. One of my goals is going to be checking in at least every other day, even if I can't reply and respond like I'd like to.

I want to WISH everyone a Happy & Healthy New Year!
Congrats on maintaining in December Jill! I am with you on checking in more often. My goal is to post every single day even if it is to just say I am still breathing. ;) I do better when I am an active in the threads, so time to get active again!

I am about halfway through planning out my meals for January. Last night I made popcorn that was to die for. Popped with just a tiny bit of coconut oil and drizzled melted semi-sweet chocolate on it and then sea salt. Maybe not a perfect snack, but better than potato chips or ice cream which has been my go to snack lately. Plus a little bit of the popcorn was satisfying without going crazy. I actually still have some left from yesterday. I am sure the potato chips would be long gone. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter