Winter 2016 Discount Rumors

I noticed it the last week of January-the first two of February. Those are the only dates I looked because those weeks work for a possible trip for my family.

Good to know. I'm a newbie. What was tiered tickets?

Disney sent out a "purely for research survey" to a limited number of passholders back in may asking about their opinions of a three tiered ticket price.

Less crowded at the same bargain basement $100...moderate $115...peak $125

Plus tax...of course.

This was a huge canary in the coal mine...
Because even though it was "just for research"...Disney nerve Jokes about prices or sends out questionnaires asking "what do you think if we charged you this?"

That's in a holding pattern...it seems. But it's in the plans...Disney is a little "unsettled" right now. Their stock price is still down 15-20% on the year and they've gotten some recent bad news. Even if Star Wars is gonna collect mad bank.

Well I just googled it. Wow. That would stink and probably price us (struggling middle class) out of Disney

That boat you're in has and will continue to get bigger/more crowded.

Disney has aggressively raised base, *non-discounted* prices across the board since about 2009...during The depths of the us real estate crash. They knew that future increases would compound and that the future customers would have to come for a more eager and/or more funded clientele.

Now we are here... Food prices have nearly double at most of their restaurants, tickets prices more than doubled, annual passes up 30-50%, rooms up probably 40% on average...

All since 2000.

It's my theory - at least - its just happens to bear out in numbers. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
So you think they will eventually crash hard and fast and prices will have to come down-a free dining release in winter would signal trouble in paradise?

Again, I'm new to this. I'm sorry for the questions!

So you think they will eventually crash hard and fast and prices will have to come down-a free dining release in winter would signal trouble in paradise?

Again, I'm new to this. I'm sorry for the questions!

Not necessarily...

But "free dining"...which is another type of discount for unused inventory...was spawned out of desperation in the most recent down period (cyclical...like all things) in orlando and also helped to integrate the dining plan and it's fundamental changes to the system...

It has been whittled down to almost nothing compared to the first offerings...
So more free dining would be a 100% direct correlation to lower advanced bookings/declining revenue projections.

Questions are welcome. I'm a cynic/snark many days...but I also try to offer opinions that are well thought out based on observations and experience - both sides of the counter/cash register.

Take me with a grain of salt ;)

Praying for Disney to ABOLISH "Free Dining" - and allow otherwise Fine Restaurants to offer non-clipped menu offerings.

The restaurants were never that "fine"

Used to be better though...and the dining plan was the shield that allowed them to gut them a nd increase the prices...while Europe slept.

I used to tirade about the dining program the minute it was announced on another site...it seemed "too convenient"...but What a "savior" bob Iger was back then...and look at all that food great, benevolent Disney was throwing at us.

Now we can all
Choke on a $120 bill for glorified fast food at Be Our Guest

Last edited:
Jan/Feb was the time frame I had been going to WDW for a few years. They don't offer discounts around President's Day because the crowds are high and probably not around Mardi Gras because the crowds get crazy.
For Jan 2011, they offered free dining - that over the years has been changed to the Play, Stay and Dine discount. Both Free Dining and the Play, Stay and Dine are package discounts. It is a substantial discount with rooms at rack rate, but not as good as the free dining discounts were.
Also, the time of the promotions being released has been later. For the Jan 2011 discount, the discounts were released in August 2010. I believe for February 2013 and February 2014, the discounts were not released until mid-October. I already had my packages booked for both years so I could book dining, etc and they then applied the discount to my existing reservation.
Good luck!

We are looking going at spring break due to DD having a internship in the summer. Last year the discounts came out in early October for this period.

I noticed that they have seemingly started to "block off" standard rooms at the deluxe resorts. I noticed it happening about 4 weeks before the release of free dining for fall. Wishful thinking, but hopefully they are gearing up for a new deal releasing soon.

I don't think "they" (Disney) block off standard rooms, I think guests do it. They book it in anticipation of free dining, thinking it will give them first shot. If often backfires, Disney then does not offer free dining on those rooms because they are already booked. It doesn't make business sense that Disney would block selling rooms at full price in anticipating of offering discounts.

I don't think "they" (Disney) block off standard rooms, I think guests do it. They book it in anticipation of free dining, thinking it will give them first shot. If often backfires, Disney then does not offer free dining on those rooms because they are already booked. It doesn't make business sense that Disney would block selling rooms at full price in anticipating of offering discounts.

Disney would NEVER hold rooms for a yet to be announced discount...that's business -101

I think we can put that to rest

As far as discounts are used for unsold inventory I have noticed a change in the PINs I receive. For two years in a row about 6 and 5 years ago I received a PIN late in the year that had availability in blocks throughout the following year. Now when I receive them they are only good in the next couple of months and usually not any different than the publicized discount available to everyone.
I have said it before and I'll say it again. The reason for the drastic increase in prices over the last few years is so they can always offer a discount of some sort, it is KOHLS marketing 101. Just like KOHLS saved me $150 a few weeks ago WDW is going to save me $1000 dollars on my next vacation.

As far as discounts are used for unsold inventory I have noticed a change in the PINs I receive. For two years in a row about 6 and 5 years ago I received a PIN late in the year that had availability in blocks throughout the following year. Now when I receive them they are only good in the next couple of months and usually not any different than the publicized discount available to everyone.
I have said it before and I'll say it again. The reason for the drastic increase in prices over the last few years is so they can always offer a discount of some sort, it is KOHLS marketing 101. Just like KOHLS saved me $150 a few weeks ago WDW is going to save me $1000 dollars on my next vacation.

I fully agree with your "kohls pricing" theory...

However they won't preclude anyone from buying at full price or less of a discount in advance.

I think in tbe past, where the codes where good farther out - they could still adjust the inventory down based on advanced bookings...if CRS was showing that a week/period was picking up more ressies - then something was up and could tie off the discounts.

Now...short notice...it is literally just leftovers/no other choices for disney

Rumor is discounts come out Monday (reported by Orlando by Joe and **************.net).

Stay Play Dine and Room only both!

Will I be able to book the SPD deal on line, or will I have to call in?

You should be able to book it online. If you have an EXISTING reservation you want to apply it to you would have to call in (or you could book online and then call and cancel your original reservation).

Maybe it was already stated and I missed it, but the likely reason you saw no rooms available is because it appears you were searching one of the busiest times of the year. The week after Christmas is by far the busiest week of the entire year, so is it any surprise that no standard rooms were available?

VISA DISCOUNTS ARE LIVE!!!

See this post from Orlando By Joe's Facebook:

Remember those discounts I mentioned yesterday? Well, if you have a Disney Visa, you can book them RIGHT NOW!!!!
The stay, play, dine is available for dates sod December 13-19 and January 2 thru March 7. Exclusions include All Star Movies, French Quarter, Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation, Campsites, Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian and Polynesian Villas. River side is excluded from the December portion but available for the rest.
There is also a room discount as well f...rom January 2 thru April 13. Same exclusions apply except it appears All Star Movies is available for this one.
Just call Disney and ask for the Disney Visa offer!!!
I'll update this post as more accurate information becomes available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter