Wine tasting - Niagara region

minnie56

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever done the wine tours in this region?
Seems the right time of year and might be nice..
:confused3

Anyone ever done the wine tours in this region?
Seems the right time of year and might be nice..
:confused3

My parents live in Niagara, and I grew up there. My husband and I often visit the wineries. Fall is a great time of year to visit Niagara. If you can find a copy of Billy's Best Bottles, it gives reviews of the different wineries and ideas on how to approach the day.

HTH

Thank you! I have been googling..seems NOV might be even better for many of the events? Do you think we are better to do one that includes dinner--or stick to tours and dine somewhere nice ourselves?

We live in the area and like to visit a few wineries every couple of months. We've been amazed at how many have popped up in the last five years. It is tough to do more than 5 or 6 in an afternoon because of time and how much you taste. I would suggest trying to do several in one area. You are right about events, the wineries are doing more events these days trying to diversify their businesses. You can catch really great entertainment, cooking classes, even stargazing nights. Whatever you choose to do I'm sure you'll really enjoy it and then will start planning a follow-up trip. If I think of any tips in the next day or so I will return and post again.

Thank you! I have been googling..seems NOV might be even better for many of the events? Do you think we are better to do one that includes dinner--or stick to tours and dine somewhere nice ourselves?

DH and I did about 3 tours on our first trip...after three, we found them a bit repetitive. Now we typically go to the tasting bar and ask what the servers recommend. I find it's easier to taste the kinds of wines you naturally gravitate towards that way. It works for us. There are so many wineries that serve dinner...but I've personally had lunch at Peller and it was good. Not...gourmet...but a solid meal. If you want fine dining with an amazing atmosphere consider trying LIV at White Oaks Resort. It is AMAZING!

Also, if weather is on your side, and you're up for a picnic lunch, try Anna Olson's in Port Dalhousie. She does fantastic sandwiches, baked goods other tasty items for relatively little money ($8 fo a sandwich). I love taking a sandwich and cookie to go and wandering down by the lake. If you're planning on focusing on Niagara-on-the-lake wineries, it isn't that far out of the way (maybe 10-15 mins).

I also grew up in Niagara and DH and I regularily do the "Wine Route"! It is so much fun... we are actually thinking of doing it next weekend. I agree with those saying that it is more fun to go from winery to winery and try different things at each. It is better to go when there is an event on, for sure. If you want to go right away, fall is beautiful. However, in January, there is also the Icewine Festival. Lots of fun!

As for restaurants, we haven't done any fine dining out for a while but all the suggestions above are very good!

One thing (and winery!) that I highly recommend is the tasting plate though, at Jackson Triggs. It is a must!

In addition to Jackson Triggs, try Inniskillin (both are in Niagara on the Lake), and Vineland Estates (this one is between Hamilton and St Catharines...) but is a gorgeous place to visit, well worth the drive. If you like fine foods, Stoney Ridge is close by and has great cheeses.

Last of all, also in Niagara on the Lake, everyone should visit Kurtz Orchards. It has an amazing selection of goodies, not wine, but enjoyable none the less!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!
I have been looking at 'The Tastes of the Season' which is actually mentioned in most of the links. It takes in 18 different wineries so might be a good way to see a lot! It begins Nov so will have to wait till then and hope it's not too cold!
Great info guys-appreciate it!:thumbsup2

another vote for White Oaks Resort and they are offering a Taste of the Season package as well you can check it out on their website

Just wondering if you can bring children to the winery tours???? I would love to do a winery tasting tour with my dh in Nov but can't leave the kids home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter