Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

A few questions for those of you who have done a few of these races. What time do you guys usually go to bed the night before? And what do you eat before the races?

I try to be in bed by 9, 8 before the half. I have the hardest time falling asleep though and never seem to sleep well. I'm afraid to take anything though in fear of being groggy or feeling sick the next morning with the early wake-up. Before the 10K and half I will eat a bagel thin with peanut butter and a banana on the bus on the way to the race with a cup of tea. Sometimes I repeat this for the 5K if I'm running it.

I guess I’m the outlier here, I have a big carb heavy meal and then enjoy a Disney pool and/or hot tub with 3-4 beers. If I’m in bed by 10 that’s early. Up at 3, dress, coffee and snack (usually pb&j or honeybuns) to go. I’m not a big fan of sleep, too much to do.

A few questions for those of you who have done a few of these races. What time do you guys usually go to bed the night before? And what do you eat before the races?
I try to be in bed by 8-830. I go to bed pretty early anyway, so I just try to get up a little extra early that morning to make sure I am tired then turn all the lights out and read for a bit and can usually get to sleep. In the past, the resorts have had race day breakfast boxes you can buy the night before with a bagel, PB, banana, granola bar. I make a sandwich at the hotel and have a cup of coffee. One race I did iced coffee in the room fridge and a clif bar and it wasn’t enough for me. Usually I am eating as I walk to the bus. I get to the port a potty as my last stop before the corrals. I eat a small bar and drink a little water in the corrals about 30-45 mins before race start. The wait in the corrals is so long that I usually have to stop at the 1st portapotty then I can actually run the rest of the race.

If anyone notices 5k registrations open - can you share? My daughter has changed her mind and would like to run with me!

I've tried to make early ADRs and get to bed early before races, but it never works - can't get to sleep and we weren't hungry at dinner. So I'm sticking to regular patterns - dinner around 7:30pm and hope to get to sleep around 10pm. I also tried for years to eat bagels and a banana before the race. But I really can't eat when I first wake up, so for the half this time, I'm going with a few sips of coffee and a jif peanut butter to-go cup - maybe two for the half.

@cel_disney, hope 5K opens up again for your daughter!

For the half we have always taken the super early flight on Saturday morning, which means getting up @ 2 am (kinda like the race!) to get to the airport two hours before the 6 am flight, take ME to resort (usually FQ), drop bags and go right to expo, by the time we come back room is usually ready, have dinner at resort, take time to get clothes laid out and ready for half next day, and go to bed. If they still have them, I like the build your own pasta bowls for dinner. Since we have to get up so early that day, and with all the travel, am usually so tired it’s easy to fall asleep early, about 8.

I lay out everything I’m going to wear and pin my bib to my shirt the night before. Also make sure my headphones are on a charger. Keep some yogurt and almond milk in the fridge to grab in the morning and try to get to bed by 8 so I can be up and on the first bus. With a 5:00 am start, I’m guessing busses will start at 2:45 AM 😢

Just over 3 weeks to go!
I’m sure people are looking for post race tickets, I always sell mine for half (a little less). This will be a quick trip, fly in Friday AM, hit the expo, run the challenge, home on Monday. Assuming tickets are the usual card we get in mail, if someone wants a discount and can find time to meet me, send a DM.

And on that note about post-race party tickets, they haven't gone out yet, right? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an email.

And on that note about post-race party tickets, they haven't gone out yet, right? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an email.

Not yet, usually get the party ticket in the mailbox and my gift card in an email about a week from the race. Always seems last minute to me but they haven’t failed to send them yet 🤞

Do they mail the party tickets to Canada too? I just assumed it'd be tied to my magic band

I really hope we get some course information soon. I actually use the water stop information ahead of time during training runs. I haven’t done a runDisney race since 2018 but I know we used to have them before this close to the race. Come on Disney!!! I would also love to know the starting line for the races. I need to mentally start preparing! 😀

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter